Computer shopping

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

Any tips on where to go to find a basic computer? I'd rather avoid Best Buy/Future Shop.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

I have had good experiences in the Computer department at London Drugs in Tillicum Mall.. Haven't tried any of the other locations

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

Silicon Solutions, it's where a lot of huge firms go to get computers. They also sell computers to individuals. You won't find better service or prices as it's not really a retail operation. They operate out of a little hard to find warehouse on Tennyson ave out by Mayfair but you can do everything over the phone and get delivery too.

http://www.siliconsolutions.ca/
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:08 PM

Source has a Acer Net book for $219 yesterday. Thats basic and also inexpensive. if you only need it for internet and emails and maybe photo storage that's all you need
It doesn't come with a CD or DVD player
I have one that I use specifically for traveling and business trips and the price cant be beat

#5 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

Any tips on where to go to find a basic computer? I'd rather avoid Best Buy/Future Shop.

I have been using Mother Computers at 3551 Ravine Way for years.

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

Silicon Solutions intrigues me. Although I know I can buy a basic box for at least a hundred less. Or are those cheap boxes not worth it? I'm not sure I want to spend over $600 for just the basics.

I have been using Mother Computers at 3551 Ravine Way for years.

That's where I saw a $500 box. That store is at the top of the list so far.

I considered a net book but decided I'd rather get an iPad or a full-screen laptop.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#7 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

If you choose a Mac, buy directly from the Apple website. That's my only valuable tip as I've never used anything else (for personal use, obviously I've touched PCs).
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

If you choose a Mac, buy directly from the Apple website. That's my only valuable tip as I've never used anything else (for personal use, obviously I've touched PCs).

I'd also like to acquire a Macbook. Why not buy from a local dealer? Isn't the price comparable?

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:50 AM

In an only somewhat related note, I bought a PlayBook yesterday at London Drugs for $199 (16m). It's awesome, these sold for $499 just 6 months ago. 100x better than an ipod touch or iphone screen, same price as touch. Super fast.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

these sold for $499 just 6 months ago.

Trust me, I know :mad:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

I'd also like to acquire a Macbook. Why not buy from a local dealer? Isn't the price comparable?

Yes, comparable. In fact Apple has been getting away with price fixing for years so all the dealers sell for the same price. Sometimes you find it cheaper on Apple's website.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#12 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,870 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

Apple's prices are the same across the board - sometimes you can get free itunes gift cards or some such with a purchase, that's the only way to really put things on 'sale'.

If you are looking at a Mac, buy a refurbished one from the Apple store. Full warranty, packaged as new, etc. Great way to save a few bucks.

Matt.

#13 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

In an only somewhat related note, I bought a PlayBook yesterday at London Drugs for $199 (16m). It's awesome, these sold for $499 just 6 months ago. 100x better than an ipod touch or iphone screen, same price as touch. Super fast.

I second the playbook bought the 32 GB for 249 but would have bought a 16 if the store I had looked at had had any. It is super fast and great screen with a nice size.

#14 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Local dealers are fine, and usually the price is comparable. My main reason for buying directly from apple.ca is that the products are completely customizable (versus a store whose inventory can be quite limited). You can choose a screen size, increase the on-board RAM, the size of the hard drive, add accessories that will ship with the computer, add the extended warranty coverage, etc.

Also, you can purchase refurbished iMacs and/or MacBooks if you choose, that have a full warranty, as was stated above.

But the big thing is if you do have a problem with your Mac, taking it into an Apple Store is easier as they will be able to pull up a record of the purchase on their computers, and any previous history of servicing or repairs.
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#15 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

I would buy direct just to bypass the guy that runs the store on Yates Street (Restart, is it?) is a total jerk. He must have studied customer service under the Soup Nazi.

Not sure about Westworld, or whatever that place on Douglas where Victoria Fitness Exchange used to be is called.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

I would buy direct just to bypass the guy that runs the store on Yates Street (Restart, is it?) is a total jerk. He must have studied customer service under the Soup Nazi.

Ya, it's Re-start. Ya, that guy got me pretty good one day. I whipped in to buy an iPod Touch, on my way somewhere, and I said do you have one charged, as I wasn't going home before departing on my Mainland trip. He said, ya, they come charged, right out of the box. That sounded awful suspicious, but I bought it on his word. Of course, it was dead when I tried to fire it up, needed a charge, as I thought it would. Anyway, I got it done on the ferry.

I wouldn't buy again from there also because they close the place up like a Beirut market shop at night. It looks awful. Like this:

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#17 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

I've heard unpleasant things about.. eh.. nevermind.

If you want a Mac in Victoria, Soho computers @ Burnside/Douglas (upper floor) is the place to go from what I understand.

#18 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

That playbook looks like a great little piece of equipment. Keep us posted as to what it can do......and I don't mean find a date. :)

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

VHF you will appreciate the size for certain. My special friend for the last 6 months (and yes I am with them right now) has been a 7 inch android tablet. The size is perfect. I mean you have an amazing computer in your jacket pocket.

Personally to me apple stuff is just pretty.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

VHF you will appreciate the size for certain.

Personally to me apple stuff is just pretty.

First, that's what she said.

Ya, I'm liking it, easier to type than my ipod touch for sure, I. Just need slightly bigger pockets in my jackets now. Maybe there is a sewing app.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users