Photo

Victoria Day Parade

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 Powerforward

Powerforward
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

Was telling a visiting relative about the parade and couldn't find any history on the web. Does anyone know:

a) when the US marching bands started to participate, and
b) other than Washington, Oregon and California, what other states have sent bands?

Thanks!

#2 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

Was telling a visiting relative about the parade and couldn't find any history on the web. Does anyone know:

a) when the US marching bands started to participate, and
b) other than Washington, Oregon and California, what other states have sent bands?

Thanks!

Dubbed by Tourism Victoria as "Victoria's biggest parade" and the organizers can't even be bothered to put up a website. :whyme:

But, here you go: http://www.timescolo...7249/story.html

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Once again, CHEK showcases Victoria by choosing the dreary parking lot besides Tang's Pagoda as the backdrop for the parade.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

I was going on about that to somebody today. I recalled your "rust belt" analogy from a while back.

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

Once again, CHEK showcases Victoria by choosing the dreary parking lot besides Tang's Pagoda as the backdrop for the parade.

I was thinking the same thing as I was watching the parade on TV from my sister's place in Qualicum this morning. Would across the street from the Hudson or even City Hall not have made for a better location?
  • tedward likes this

#6 Coopershawk

Coopershawk
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

Dubbed by Tourism Victoria as "Victoria's biggest parade" and the organizers can't even be bothered to put up a website. :whyme:

But, here you go: http://www.timescolo...7249/story.html

Ron Butlin, the parade organizer, does not have a computer in his office. He does, however, have a fax machine. Does that help answer your comment.

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

^ Makes me think that it is time to redo the parade. I mean there is an opportunity to make this into something a little more progressive. The puppets were very cool today but not nearly enough.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

^I was thinking the CHEK hosting is getting tired. It was like an SNL skit with the jokes edited out. I think everyone involved is just phoning it in.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#9 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

I went to see it, and found there were too many large gaps between sections of the parade. If the organizer is using a fax machine to organize this, then perhaps some major changes are needed.

#10 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:56 AM

I went to see it, and found there were too many large gaps between sections of the parade. If the organizer is using a fax machine to organize this, then perhaps some major changes are needed.

The large gaps are to accomodate commercials on CHEK.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:16 AM

^ Again not howto run an event. The focus should be the in-person crowd. I think that trying to increase paid attendance through adding more bleacher seating would be good. Also there should be some sort of review of some of the entrants. Putting some plastic ruffles on a corvette does not an entrant make.

It has a whole new look!

#12 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

Ron Butlin, the parade organizer, does not have a computer in his office. He does, however, have a fax machine. Does that help answer your comment.

Wow. Just wow.

I think I have a new slogan for Victoria, in time for its 150th celebration - Victoria: Stumbling Ass-Backwards Towards Mediocrity since 1862.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

I've been saying for years that we are way underdoing Victoria Day.

I mean, come on, it's a marketing no-brainer. "Head to Victoria for Victoria Day!".

We have a freaking NATIONAL HOLIDAY that shares the same name as our city. Why are we not pushing this across the country, and into our regular US tourism markets? Who cares that the Americans don't know it's named after the queen that shares our city name (many Canadians don't know either), if they think it's named after the city, all the better.

Wouldn't other cities die for a day named after/the same as them? Toronto Day, Calgary Day? But they don't have it, and we have it right there printed on every Canadian calendar produced.

We make a big deal of Canada Day, but so does every other city in the country. With our weather, we can be the unofficial summer kick-off city in the country, and invite the Americans along too, they are itching for a weekend get-away by this time of year.

Marketing dream, a gift hand-delivered to Tourism Victoria. But not realized.

Ya, right now we get some US marching-band kids double and triple-bunked into hotel rooms for a day or two on this weekend. Hardly the $100+ day spenders regular tourists are.

Let's step it up.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#14 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

There is plenty of opportunity to pull this off too. I mean there is already the Highland Games on the same weekend. Put on a festival downtown and charge for entrance to both festivals and have shuttles going between them. Make a huge deal about the bands the day before when they play at the legislature and have this all culminate in a massive parade. I would suggest keeping the entrance fee for the bands low but increase it for all the floats and other entrants and have them go through some sort of vetting process.

It has a whole new look!

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

A lot of people do think it's the city of Victoria's day, you're right.

#16 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

^ Again not howto run an event. The focus should be the in-person crowd. I think that trying to increase paid attendance through adding more bleacher seating would be good. Also there should be some sort of review of some of the entrants. Putting some plastic ruffles on a corvette does not an entrant make.

Double edged sword. The City gets mileage out of claiming that this is the 3rd largest parade in Canada with 140+ entries. Start charging fees and vetting entries and that number probably drops below 75.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

True to some extend, but I think people would prefer 1.5 or two hours of quality, rather than the current 3+ of sometimes sketchy displays.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#18 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

I've been saying for years that we are way underdoing Victoria Day.

I mean, come on, it's a marketing no-brainer. "Head to Victoria for Victoria Day!".

Right on VHF. I too feel that there is a big hole in our marketing of Victoria Day.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#19 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,228 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

The parade would need to get a whole lot better lol. Mind you my son is greatly entertained by a dude waving from a truck... That said, smaller and better parade with tied in paid events is a grand idea. I could see having centennial square be a VIP (paid entry) zone. This would be a good day to bring back the Folk Fest activities down at the harbour. I miss those langos...

#20 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

True to some extend, but I think people would prefer 1.5 or two hours of quality, rather than the current 3+ of sometimes sketchy displays.

I agree. The first time I went to the parade there were huge gaps and people would get up and try to determine if that was the end of the parade or if there was more coming. It seemed to go on forever. If you closed up all the gaps you could get it down to a two hour max. Eliminate some of the sketchier "floats" and get it down to 1.5 hours. I haven't been back since the first time because it is just too long and draggy.

In small towns they have parades that maybe go 30-40 minutes and the crowds are quite satisfied with that. Tie in a couple of other events and people may watch the parade then attend something else downtown and make a day of it.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users