Photo

Floor Premium in Condos?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

What's the premium that is usually added as you go higher up in newer condos?

#2 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

It depends on several factors:

- Size of unit.
- Orientation of unit.
- Surrounding buildings/obstacles.

On a new/newer studio you can figure to pay approximately $2,000-$3,000 premium per floor.

On a new/newer 1 bedroom approximately $3,000 to $5,000 premium per floor.

On a new/newer 2 bedroom (under 1,000 sq.ft.) approximately $5,000 to $8,000 premium per floor.

Downtown, personally if I was buying I would go low and save money or go high. For the middle floors you often pay a premium over the lower floors and you may end up staring directly at roof tops and ugly components found (rusty elevator shafts, HVAC units, etc.) on roof tops.

If you are looking at pre-sales many offer 360 degree views from each floor in their showrooms or online. For example, -> http://www.bosaprope...cture_views.php

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

That all sounds about right. Honestly, even if the view is not too different, I think, if the unit is for yourself, there is good reason to pay a little more premium for the top floor, over the next-to-top floor, especially in a 4-floor wood-frame, or the new 6-floor ones.

What I'm saying is, even if the view (and potential views if there is the possibility of adjacent development) is the same, it's worth a few grand extra for never hearing neighbours above.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

What I'm saying is, even if the view (and potential views if there is the possibility of adjacent development) is the same, it's worth a few grand extra for never hearing neighbours above.

At this point I'd say it's worth more than a few grand...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

I recall a big kafuffle back in the 70s about how there was, above the fourth floor, a demonstrable correlation between higher floors and higher incidence of mental illness.

Citation eludes me for the moment.

Why would people pay more for a more stressful home?
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#7 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

Is this why I'm so calm, living in a basement? Is this why hobbits seem so happy?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

I recall a big kafuffle back in the 70s about how there was, above the fourth floor, a demonstrable correlation between higher floors and higher incidence of mental illness.

Citation eludes me for the moment.

Why would people pay more for a more stressful home?

I have heard that argument at City Council in fending off whatever highrise proposal was raising hackles at the time, probably one of Chard's.

Here's a recent article on the phenomenon, including a quote from an author that says feelings of disconnect begin as low as the fifth floor.

http://www.crikey.co...ving-unnatural/
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#9 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

That all sounds about right. Honestly, even if the view is not too different, I think, if the unit is for yourself, there is good reason to pay a little more premium for the top floor, over the next-to-top floor, especially in a 4-floor wood-frame, or the new 6-floor ones.

I would definitely pay a solid premium for top floor in a wood frame building.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

It’s true that humans can’t easily make out visual detail at street level beyond a certain height...

They also can't easily make out visual detail at street level when their houses don't have any windows that face the street, or their lawns are guarded by tall fences or hedges.

#11 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

When I say on PARP, the floor premium within a given stack seemed to be in the range of $7 per square foot per floor. This was a couple of years ago and the market has changed since then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users