Photo

[Jubilee] Royal Jubilee Hospital Patient Care Centre | 32.5m | 8-storeys | Built - completed in 2011

Civic

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#1 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:29 AM

This is the first I have heard about this.

Price tag for hospital tower climbing

Cindy E. Harnett, Times Colonist
Published: Thursday, November 23, 2006
The cost of a new 500-bed patient tower for Royal Jubilee Hospital is soaring while plans for the $250-million project remain grounded, waiting provincial approval.

"I have no idea when the project will be approved and funded," Howard Waldner, president of the Vancouver Island Health Authority, said yesterday. "I'm not expecting this to happen overnight."

In October, VIHA estimated the project's cost at $200 million but just a month later, due to rising construction costs, plan revisions and inflation, the price tag is $250 million, Jeremy Tate, Capital Regional District staffer, told a planning committee yesterday.

[...]

mailto:ceharnett@tc.canwest.com

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:38 AM

...what buildings would be demolished...

Good gravy, the hospital site has extensive surface parking on which they could build. There's no need to demolish anything!

#3 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:50 AM

I nominate the parking lot near Bay and Richmond.

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:55 AM

...what buildings would be demolished...

Good gravy, the hospital site has extensive surface parking on which they could build. There's no need to demolish anything!

And rezoning? Bah, it's all hospital--who cares about height or density within the site. Just don't put the Acrophobia clinic on the top floor of the tower.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:07 AM

You'd think a legitimate tower would cause more of an uproar. Makes me wonder if it's actually not a tower at all but just another massive hulking building.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:14 AM

I nominate the Safeway parking lot.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:21 AM

That's a terrible parking lot. That little section between Blockbuster and Safeway is really awkward.

#8 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:09 PM

I can see my house in that pic! This sucker will be in my back yard.

Bay and Richmond would make the most sense since they'd want it close to the new entrance with the diagnostic centre and emergency. On the other hand that parking lot next to Fort St looks like a big area.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:58 PM

I was passing by there today and I was reminded how unfriendly the old buildings facing Richmond are, and how they all turn their back to the street. Surely they could be replaced.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:19 PM

Which? The old Begbie Hall? Or are you talking about the more recent bunkers?

Edit: Sorry, you're obviously talking about those lowrise bunkers near the Bay Street entrance.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:40 PM

I'm looking at that photo thinking what a waste of space that helicopter pad is, and how noisy it must be for the neighbours and why the heck don't they put it on the roof.

Then I remembered [url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=OLRipwGXCeI:27f31]this[/url:27f31].

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:48 PM

What the heck? This certainly comes as a surprise!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:55 PM

I'm going to say that video was just about the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Is that what people are watching on TV these days?

#14 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:04 PM

For those of you not familiar with the layout of the RJH and the building names (I wish I could say I knew nothing about it, but I can't), a PDF of the floorplan can be found [url=http://www.viha.ca/NR/rdonlyres/75E1402D-7AF0-449D-963B-84D05E1980CC/0/rjh_map.pdf:9f91b]here[/url:9f91b].

I expect the 'tower' (whatever that actually means) would be built north of the West Block and just west of the Chapel (currently that's a gravel parking lot). The West, Royal, Centre and South block would then be whacked (although I'm a fan of James and Spurgin, it's not their prettiest work). It's obvious that the Main Floor Connector that joins the old wings and the new construction is just a temporary structure.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:11 PM

Surely the south block is a heritage building? I'd be seriously opposed to demolishing any of the old hospital buildings. If you get rid of them you're left with just another characterless suburban hospital complex.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:15 PM

Although I agree we must protect our heritage buildings, I would be opposed to VIHA funneling tens of millions into restoring an aging structure as opposed to putting tens of millions towards health care.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:17 PM

I'm wondering if you'd feel the same way if they were going to replace it with a lowrise?

#18 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:21 PM

Tens of millions? I think we can forgo the amber wall covers and cut the cost down by a fair bit.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:25 PM

^^Very much so.

I spent the last five years studying Canada's healthcare system and its funding crisis. Restoring aging buildings is not, as far as I can tell, a healthcare expenditure that will benefit the public.

Yeah, I'd say tens of millions if not more. Healthcare buildings are extremely costly to build and to maintain. I can only imagine what it would cost to revive an aging healthcare building (on top of bringing it up to modern codes which in itself is expensive and oftentimes counter-productive)...

Know it all.

#20 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:25 PM

Other than the balcony structures on the side of the South Block, it's not that nice a building. They didn't do it any favours by adding a fifth floor above the original cornice some years after the original 1921 construction. There are certainly more interesting buildings on that site like the Memorial Pavilion.

As an aside, Exploring Victoria's Architecture by Seggar and Franklin call this the East Wing (page 193).

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users