800 block of Yates: changes

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:55 AM

Some changes underway in the 800 block of Yates Street:

1. A rezoning application has been submitted to the city for the "Empire Theatres" parking lot asking for an increased height allowance.
2. A public hearing was held last night on the proposed subdivision of the Telus property.
3. Tenants have been finalized for the Wave's retail space: ReStart Computer (previously anounced), and a travel agency (this will occupy the former construction office).

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:23 AM

Let's just hope that whatever ultimately gets built on the Empire lot and the space adjacent to Telus are classier in execution than The Wave, which personally disappoints me. I think the latter could have been and SHOULD have been better. I'll keep my fingers crossed for these new developments.

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:28 AM

The wave would have been fine if they had linked the ends of the ground floor with its neighbours.

So there should be one more tenant there right?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:42 AM

The wave would have been fine if they had linked the ends of the ground floor with its neighbours.

My problem with the Wave is not so much it's placement on the site, nor the basic design (though taller and slimmer would have helped), but it's the oh-so-bland street presence on Yates and the awful finishes (those tiles and painted concrete) that make it a bust for me. The other day I walked past it in the rain and the "mural" wall looked dreadful when all the dark (slate?) tile was wet. With a little more attention to detail it could have been a great addition to that part of the city. As it stands, it's only so-so at best (IMO).

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:53 AM

Seriously, is it a mural or a mosaic? I thought it was a mosaic? Everybody calls it a mural.

The commercial space in the Wave isn't "glassy fishbowl" enough, if you get my meaning. That's my main beef, other than the stretched mosaic. I think it's a pretty good building.

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:59 AM

No one should construe any sort of endorsement of the commercial entities represented in this mockup:

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:03 AM

Seriously, is it a mural or a mosaic? I thought it was a mosaic? Everybody calls it a mural.

From Dictionary.com:
mural –noun
1. a large picture painted or affixed directly on a wall or ceiling.

mosaic–noun
1. a picture or decoration made of small, usually colored pieces of inlaid stone, glass, etc.

So I guess any picture on the outside of a building can be a mural.... it only becomes a mosaic if it is made up up smaller pieces of some solid material (stone, glass, tile etc.)

Cheers!

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:04 AM

It is a mosaic with exceptionally large tiles. Murals are painted.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#9 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:09 PM

Having had more time to look at The Wave, I've decided that I like it from the second floor up. The first floor sucks donkey balls through a straw.

The setback sucks, the finishing sucks, the design sucks, the height sucks, everything about it sucks.

My 2¢

Looking forward to what Jawl Development does to their corner...

#10 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:36 PM

Many of you are probably aware that ReStart Computer, which is under construction, subletted their space to a fireworks retailer for a few days around Halloween. The provincial police departments are currently putting pressure on the crown to ban all fireworks sales to the public.

No tenant has been publicly anounced for the space once occupied by Hollywood Tonight, but construction is slowly underway there.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:19 PM

Interesting photo I found of the 819 Yates site of the proposed 20 storey tower on present day Capitol 6 parking lot. Can you say "contaminated soil"?!

There was another Texaco station just up the street in the Chrysler building at Yates and Cook.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:25 PM

I glanced at the Downtown Resident's Association's newsletter the other day and I saw that there's a rendering of the Capital 6 parking lot tower. Reminds me of Shutter's taller building but at twice the height at Yates and a 10-storey portion meeting View.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:26 PM

Last year our Christmas present was the Blanshard & Johnson project, yes? (Now known as the Juliet)

So do we have another present this year?

#14 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:30 PM

The Wave Mosiac and it's setbacks.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:33 PM

In that old pic is that a 3 story building on the View Street side? (with the stack on top?)

#16 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:34 PM

Here are some pictures of a rough massing model. It's placed beside an old model of The Wave for scale, so other neighbouring buildings like the Cap 6 theatre and 860 View aren't there. Remember, because this is just a rough model, the podium is just an approximation so don't take anything to literally yet.

There will be seven CRD-administered below-market housing units in the south side of the podium.

Looking west down Yates:

View Street looking south:

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:14 PM

intriguing models... I hope the final execution ends up being better than the Wave

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:33 PM

That should have been dubbed "The Wave."

So in keeping with inappropriate names for our buildings, (the Wing also comes to mind!), let's called this the "Octogon."

Hello? Anyone?

*chirp*

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:43 PM

How about "Heritage Place"?

#20 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:16 PM

That should have been dubbed "The Wave."

Call this one the Tsunami....

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users