Why is the word REALTOR trademarked?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#1 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

Can someone tell me why realtors have a registered trademark and what makes them so special. What next... Dentists®, Lawyers®, Architects®, Engineers®, Doctors®, Garbageman®, Lawn mower®, Window washer®, Burger Flipper®

A Lawyer can legally act as my agent and save me half the commission, plus they have a lot more experience in contracts, etc

Concorde®

#2 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

A Lawyer can legally act as my agent and save me half the commission, plus they have a lot more experience in contracts, etc

You need a lawyer anyway. The contract itself is pretty boring and formulaic. What you're theoretically paying for with a realtor is the market experience (and possibly expertise with building quality, negotiations, etc). Of course there is a wide range out there.

#3 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

Can someone tell me why realtors have a registered trademark and what makes them so special. What next... Dentists®, Lawyers®, Architects®, Engineers®, Doctors®, Garbageman®, Lawn mower®, Window washer®, Burger Flipper®

Concorde®

REALTORS® are professionals just like dentists, lawyers, architects, engineers and doctors. To become a REALTOR® I had to take an extensive course; it took me the better part of many weekends and at the end I had to pass a 100 multiple choice exam!

In addition, we help people with the biggest purchase that they will make in their lifetime. A REALTOR® can help you.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#4 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

So I guess the ® is there because the word realtor did not exist until it was created by the Canadian Real Estate Association, and is therefore suitable as a trademark?

#5 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

REALTORS® are professionals just like dentists, lawyers, architects, engineers and doctors. To become a REALTOR® I had to take an extensive course; it took me the better part of many weekends and at the end I had to pass a 100 multiple choice exam!

In addition, we help people with the biggest purchase that they will make in their lifetime. A REALTOR® can help you.

are you kidding me, it took "many weekends" and a 100 point multiple choice exam? what a joke. Sounds like they hand out realtor licenses out of Kracker Jack boxes. A "professional" does not get licensed in "many weekends"

Now, I need to go and hire a plumber® and electrician® next week to do some work on my bathroom. I better make sure that my drywaller® and painter® are also lined up

Concorde®

#6 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

Realtor is just a trademark used to market the services of real estate sales people. It implys qualifications, expertise, etc. We all know thats not neccessarily true. In reality a Realtor has been helpful to me through MLS exposure, but I would consider a cheaper service Realtor in the future. And yes the course is a joke. Its like someone who passed the mutual fund course selling me investments.

#7 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

are you kidding me, it took "many weekends" and a 100 point multiple choice exam? what a joke. Sounds like they hand out realtor licenses out of Kracker Jack boxes. A "professional" does not get licensed in "many weekends"

Now, I need to go and hire a plumber® and electrician® next week to do some work on my bathroom. I better make sure that my drywaller® and painter® are also lined up

Concorde®

Whoosh

#8 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:57 AM

You need a lawyer anyway. The contract itself is pretty boring and formulaic. What you're theoretically paying for with a realtor is the market experience (and possibly expertise with building quality, negotiations, etc). Of course there is a wide range out there.

Whoosh

So thats my point exactly, why do i need a realtor when i can use my lawyer who has much more experience and can put an extra $5000+ in my pocket.

#9 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

Whoosh

So thats my point exactly, why do i need a realtor when i can use my lawyer who has much more experience and can put an extra $5000+ in my pocket.

Most of the time you need a Realtor for exposure. Without MLS exposure you are missing so much of the potential buyers market. I know some Realtors exclude no agent or even low fee agent listings.

I dont know when the last time you searched for a property to buy was, but if you have any time recently, did you check out propertyguys.com? How about forsalebyowner.com? I know I dont ever look at those sites.

At a minimum you need a listing agent for MLS.

#10 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

^ There was just an anti trust case about this. The MLS can't be just for realtors anymore. Given the outrageous fees for what is essentially someone who arranges appointments and helps a bit with setting prices, I expect to see a lot more discount realtors opening in the next few years.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

Whoosh

I'd never use a realtor to buy, that's money wasted. But to sell, yes.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

^ There was just an anti trust case about this. The MLS can't be just for realtors anymore. Given the outrageous fees for what is essentially someone who arranges appointments and helps a bit with setting prices, I expect to see a lot more discount realtors opening in the next few years.

There was a ruling in the Supreme Court about this and exactly as you state, realtors do not have exclusive rights to use MLS anymore

I am not really sure what realtors can do for anyone anymore. I wouldn't pay anyone more than $2000 to sell my house. MLS fees are around $500 and a realtor can't be worth much more than $60/hr charge out rate.

#13 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

I'd never use a realtor to buy, that's money wasted. But to sell, yes.

Considering as a buyer you dont pay the realtors commission its the seller that pays the commission to both the listing agent and the purchasors agent. the 6&3 is split between them.

#14 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

How do you post on MLS as a regular person? Do you have to call a Realtor and get them to do it and pay the $500 listing fees?

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

There was a ruling in the Supreme Court about this and exactly as you state, realtors do not have exclusive rights to use MLS anymore

I am not really sure what realtors can do for anyone anymore. I wouldn't pay anyone more than $2000 to sell my house. MLS fees are around $500 and a realtor can't be worth much more than $60/hr charge out rate.

Especially seeing as you could spend a few hundred bucks on an independent appraisal, so you know how to price your house right...something that is very, very essential obviously.

I sold my house through an agent. I also got an independent appraisal which concluded that we should be asking a lot more than what my agent was recommending. I was still happy with my agent because he worked it and got me a sale in one day, then helped me win against multiple offers toward my new home.
But it's possible to do it right without an agent, but some people just don't want to deal with the hassle.

#16 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

Considering as a buyer you dont pay the realtors commission its the seller that pays the commission to both the listing agent and the purchasors agent. the 6&3 is split between them.

So it follows that without a realtor you can negotiate half the commission off the price.

#17 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

Whoosh

Your lawyer has much more experience with how the real estate market is doing? I highly doubt it. He has more legal experience, except a legal monkey could fill out those forms, so that is wasted.

I'm not saying you need a realtor, but your lawyer is providing a completely different service.

#18 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

Your lawyer has much more experience with how the real estate market is doing? I highly doubt it. He has more legal experience, except a legal monkey could fill out those forms, so that is wasted.

I'm not saying you need a realtor, but your lawyer is providing a completely different service.

I guess you have never heard of real estate lawyers. As for how the real estate market is doing, I don't have a real estate license and I know how the real estate market is.

What I am simply stating is that lawyers are licensed to purchase and sell real estate on your behalf with much lower fees and is also entitled to half the commission, which he will give right back to me, putting an extra $5000+ in my pocket. On top of that I need a lawyer anyway to complete the sale so its a win win.

I have no idea what realtors offer anymore, they really are nothing more than used car salesman who use terms like "handyman's dream" and "charming"

#19 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

I guess you have never heard of real estate lawyers.

They provide a completely different service than realtors.

As for how the real estate market is doing, I don't have a real estate license and I know how the real estate market is.

Perhaps. Although I would suspect someone that actually is involved in the process full time knows a few things you don't.

In the end it's like any other service. I can pay my mechanic to adjust the valve clearance or I can do it myself. One requires work, the other requires money.

What I am simply stating is that lawyers are licensed to purchase and sell real estate on your behalf with much lower fees and is also entitled to half the commission, which he will give right back to me, putting an extra $5000+ in my pocket. On top of that I need a lawyer anyway to complete the sale so its a win win.

Sure. The money saved is because you're opting for less service and to do more yourself.

#20 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

The juxtaposition of those sentences is troublesome. I've sold houses with and without realtors, and I generally have found them to be a value-add, so I'm not interested in realtor-bashing. But you do realize doctors and lawyers and engineers and architects did not gain their professional qualifications through weekend study and a multiple choice exam, right? :)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users