BUILT
1008 Pandora
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1008 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1008 Pandora is a six-storey, mixed-use purpose-built rental and ground floor commercial building on Pandora A... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1008 Pandora on Citified.ca
Photo

[North Park] 1008 Pandora | Rentals; commercial | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1984 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

Apparently Bosa is interested in the property, they will be meeting the North Park NA next week.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

Nice scoop.

To think the company vowed to never return to Victoria after the trials and tribulations they faced over the Manhattan condo on Yates.

Now they're building the city's tallest tower and may now help inject more vibrancy into an area of the core that really needs it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

Interesting I went to a charette a number of years back where Gene Miller presented and talked about the tremendous opportunity that property has.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

I hope something exciting can happen here. The neighbourhood needs something better than another homeless shelter and/or abandoned property.

#5 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

Has the school already closed?

#6 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

Our daughter graduated from STA last spring; at that time as I recall they were telling parents there were 2 (or possibly 3) years at most left for the school as presently constituted. For parents of younger children in the earlier grades they were and are therefore expected to make preparations for the kids to transfer to other (ideally ;)) Catholic schools in order for them to complete their elementary studies.

#7 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

Sorry to be clearer, I am referring to Spring 2011 i.e. just over one year ago.....

#8 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

Here's my article on the announced closure from 2010:

http://vibrantvictor...ntary-to-close/

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

So whatever ultimately happens to this site, am I correct in assuming St. Andrews Elementary will continue to operate here through the 2014-15 school year? :confused:

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

Has the school already closed?

No, but the school is interested in a sale sooner, rather than later, with them leasing back for a year or so.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

The proposal is from Blue Sky, a Bosa company.

The proposal is for one building that will cover the entire property now occupied by the school and adjacent hall, and the playing field(s?).

2.85 FSR.

205 rentals units of all types st/1br/2br/2br+d over commercial ground floor that just fronts Pandora and Vancouver. Fronting Mason and the Park (Franklin Green) would be walk-up townhouse-style fronts, with standard multi-family above. The size of the whole thing means there is an interior landscaped courtyard on the third floor.

Proposed retail might be a drug store facing Vancouver St., and a bank at Pandora and the SE corner of the project, and room for some pretty big units fronting Pandora from there to the SW corner. Perhaps a clinic at Mason and Vancouver.

The "tower" feature of the front of the school would be maintained., and a little courtyard at the SW corner would be too.

180 (139 is requirement) commercial parking stalls, and .5 per rental unit for residents.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

Now, wait for it, here is my world-class photography:

So that is the project, we are looking at mostly the Mason St. elevation (north). The loading dock, and all vehicle entry and exit is to be from Mason St, off Vancouver. That's the whitish door you see here towards the right, or can barely make out here. That seems problematic to both me and all the NPNA members, but apparently it's the City's idea.

So the left side of what you see here will face the park. The darkish stuff is lots of iron stair railings as you climb up.

You can see the "hole" in the center that would hold the landscaped courtyard.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

Quite the building. How many floors are we seeing there? 7 along Pandora?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

Oh man that is sweet and has about 5 percent chance of ever being built. It would change North Park in so many positive ways which is why it does not have a chance.

It has a whole new look!

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

I dunno, it's short, it's bulky, it's a rental and this part of the city sorely needs a shot in the arm (no pun). I think it'll get its fair share of criticism from bureaucrats but will ultimately get approved. Whether or not it gets built, however, is another matter.

Know it all.

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

Across the street from the hippie farm and a bunch of 100 year old sfd's? And tearing down a heritage school. People will be lying in the dirt to stop it.

It has a whole new look!

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

Alas, I am with G-Man on this. It would be such a tremendous boost to a neighbourhood that really needs it that it's a near certainty that between the city and the NIMBYs it will never get built. Expect this piece of land to sit vacant for years before some sort of desperation project final gets approved that will only be 10% as good as this. Of course I'd rather see a couple of taller towers with more open green space between them (an extension of Franklin Green perhaps?) but why aim for the stars when you know you won't even make it to the top of the hill?

#18 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

I'm not thrilled about it. I don't find the massing to be very attractive and I question whether such a large footprint is appropriate for that area. I'd prefer to break it up.

Also, why do we always seem to be aiming the wrecking ball at buildings that are worth keeping? We're sucking the character out of Victoria when we knock down the interesting stuff and preserve the crap.

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

Thanks, VHF for breaking out the old Kodak 110 and taking that photo. This would be a good addition but a tough sell to City Hall.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Also, why do we always seem to be aiming the wrecking ball at buildings that are worth keeping? We're sucking the character out of Victoria when we knock down the interesting stuff and preserve the crap.

Well let's see if another developer proposes preserving the school so long as they get to build a 20-storey tower adjacent to it on this site. We've seen how well this sort of thing has worked to date at the Hudson. With some tweaking a variation on this proposal just might work (but still probably won't get approved or built).

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users