Target stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#1 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

Ledcor has fenced off the entire parking area in front of the old Zellers. The fencing goes all the way to the end of the parking lot by Tillicum Rd. Quite a large staging area. Construction office is on site as well. Zellers signage is off off the building as well. Looks like a quick start on construction.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:03 AM

Is this a renovation of the existing structure or is a new structure being built?

#3 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:03 AM

^ Renovation of an the current structure. Hillside will be new from the ground up.

#4 YOYO

YOYO
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

Target officially gets keys to the store on Aug. 28, 2012. Therefore construction will start at the earliest on Aug. 28, 2012.

#5 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Must be prep work then. Looked inside today and all cleared out. stripped clean of anything of value.

#6 YOYO

YOYO
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

All that is happening right now is that scrappers and others are buying the remaining fixtures. After that the store will be swept and at the end of the 27th the keys will be handed in and Target will get them and have their guys come in on the 28th. The prep work should be done as Target has had engineers survey the store since January and have floor plans, electrical plans and so forth drawn up of the current store . I assume they have drawn up plans for their store already. I think they will hit the ground running.

#7 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:07 PM

They (Ledcor) had someone on site today in the construction trailer. That's what I kinda thought, that they would hit the ground running once they got possession.

#8 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Any pictures of the last few days / what's been happening since closure?
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#9 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

Oh, crap, Zellers is gone? I was hoping to stock up on half priced toilet paper.

Next time!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:05 PM

Oh, crap, Zellers is gone? I was hoping to stock up on half priced toilet paper...

You're in luck Seb; the Hillside Zeller's should still be open for a couple more months. Of course the only way you'll get half-off on TP there is if they take the 2-ply kind and separate the halves. :squint:

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

Target's architects told Saanich council recently that it may be possible to remove the English ivy and retain the Boston ivy, which covers the wall.

Council voted in favour of the development permit application from Target with no requirement for preserving ivy. A Target official could not be reached for comment.

Saanich Mayor Frank Leonard doesn't share Brownoff's ivy issues.

"I don't micro-manage the design of a retail store. I'm more interested in the big picture. And the big picture is that mall is going to get another shot in the arm."

In fact, it makes sense to Leonard to get rid of the plant.

"You want your logo to be prominent. If you're a retailer, you don't want people to drive by and say, 'I wonder what they sell behind that ivy.' "

http://www.timescolo...2656/story.html

Frank Leonard, the voice of reason. Good stuff.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

I thought at first this was a hoax article, but it is real!?!??!?!?! I can not believe this at all - what is Judy Brownoff thinking?

Target's architects told Saanich council recently that it may be possible to remove the English ivy and retain the Boston ivy, which covers the wall.

http://www.timescolo...2656/story.html

Frank Leonard, the voice of reason. Good stuff.

#13 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

^ the ivy will grow back eventually, no matter what they... that's way its called evasive.

#14 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

Well if it's evasive, I don't think it would want to grow back and be all exposed like that.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:09 AM

^ we have an issue with it at our building. Every year we have a tree service come in the fall to cut it back and rip it out at the roots. Every year it comes back by the next fall.

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

Well if it's evasive, I don't think it would want to grow back and be all exposed like that.

That's the problem with evasive plants. You never really know what their motives are.

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

^ and you really never see them. Until its too late that is.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

^ we have an issue with it at our building. Every year we have a tree service come in the fall to cut it back and rip it out at the roots. Every year it comes back by the next fall.

Nothing some diesel fuel in the soil won't cure permanently.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#19 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

Nothing some diesel fuel in the soil won't cure permanently.

Would have to sneak and do that under the cover of night. We had a Gerry Oak fail a couple of summers ago and we had bylaw enforcement show up because we had a tree service come in to remove the downed tree from the driveway. Seems several neighbours complained about the desecration of a downed protected tree.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

I wish people would keep their noses out of their neighbour's business. Fallen tree or Ivy.

And Frank Leonard is right to step up and clarify council's authority when it comes to design decisions.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users