Photo

Pubs in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
509 replies to this topic

#1 Willa

Willa
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:18 AM

So, what are the good ones around here? We tried the Beagle Pub tonight in Cook St. Village -- but it does last call at 11 p.m.! I know there are some big ones (Swans, Spinnakers, etc.), but you guys must know the hole-in-the-wall places where you can have a beer and chat with some cool people....

#2 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:01 AM

The Beagle is a nice little neighbourhood pub. The food is very mediocre, but the atmosphere is relaxing and friendly - and the beer is decent enough. The hours, I have assumed, are dictated by its close proximity to the res in the area.
Check out the one in the crazy tudor-style building behind the main cadboro bay village plaza, near the Starbucks, etc. It's easy to find once you make it to the village. It's a bit of a hole, but worth checking out. And the beer is good. The food is kind of shabby. The name escapes me.

The best pub in the CRD in my opinion is this one...
[url=http://imageshack.us:700f9][/url:700f9]
Once again, the name escapes me, (Stonehouse Pub maybe??) but this is the cutest little pub in the forest. Another old tudor-style/stone built building you could ever see. The food/beer is good, the layout is cozy and beer garden is quiet and relaxing. And it's in the middle of nothing but trees. Well worth the drive. Also, there is a lesser known route on foot from the ferry terminal to here if you find yourself stranded, waiting for a couple sailings or something. If you see someone leaving the swartz bay grounds and dissapear into the forest, follow them and they'll lead you there.
Smith's on Broughton is ok.
I've never been to this one, but I've been meaning to check out the one on Ferwood and Gladstone.
Christies Carriagehouse on Fort.
The Penny Farthing in Oak Bay Village.
All the "# Mile Pub"'s are worth a visit. The one in Colwood has the best burgers. The one near Sooke is interesting.
There's others that I can't think of at the mo, but hopefully this will wet your whistle.
Really sorry for the omition of the names. I'm weird with remembering names - but I'm solid with physical attributes, such as locations for instance.
:?
  • Robb likes this

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:40 AM

Christies carraige house has the most beers on tap on the island, lots of space, nice people, and some of the best servers I've ever seen!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#4 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:25 AM

Christie's had awesome halibut and chips last time I was there. (It's been a while.)

#5 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:42 AM

If you're missing Guinness, the best on the island is the [url=http://www.crowandgate.com/:e575a]Crow & Gate[/url:e575a] up near Nanaimo. My favourite pub on Vancouver Island.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:43 AM

I like Christies.

Stonehouse at Swartz Bay is very attractive in the summer.

Maudes on Shelbourne is an old standby - I believe one of the first "neighbourhood pubs" allowed. I was under 19 when it opened I think.

Loghouse in Langford (N. of Home Depot on Millstream) is very mediocre, from what I recall.

The Waterwheel in Langford has cheap beer, plus live bands most weekends.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:05 AM

Went to Maude Hunters a month or so ago. It's gotten really grimy.

#8 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:58 AM

Swan's and Spinnakers are the hands-down winners if you appreciate real ale. I just wish more pubs in Victoria served real hand-pulled ales.

I thought Smith's (the former Old Bailey) had a nice atmosphere ... you could enjoy a conversation without having to shout at each other.

In the winter I enjoy a pint at the Garrick's Head as they normally have a roaring fire going (in the fireplace!)

The Blue Peter in Sidney is nicely situated on the docks. The Stonehouse is excellent too. The patio at the Brentwood Lodge is fantastic in the summer.

PS. a bit off topic but if anyone is visiting London (or England for that matter) I can provide you with the names of some great pubs to check out.

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:07 AM

I think both Spinnakers and Swan's have gone a little downhill in recent years. I find myself going to Fifth street or Canoe usually as my first choices.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#10 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:09 AM

Where is a good place to get cheap and tasty chicken wings?

#11 Doc Sage

Doc Sage
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:31 AM

Martin's Place in Caboro Bay, across from Smuggler's Cove, has 10 cent wings on Monday but I am unable to state on how
good they are. Smuggler's also have wings on a different day.

Doc Sage

#12 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:54 AM

PS. a bit off topic but if anyone is visiting London (or England for that matter) I can provide you with the names of some great pubs to check out.

I "remember" a lot of great pub in London, just can't remember names.
If you're in Oxford though, check out "Head of the River", my favourite pub in the UK - mostly because of its location.
[url=http://imageshack.us:019bf][/url:019bf]

#13 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:03 AM

Ah yes.. the infamous "Sobering Crane".

#14 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:47 PM

Ever since the old man died, Swans is unbearable. Some of my friends go there and just don't care about the service, but I have NEVER had worse service on such a consistant basis. The staff are ok, but so over-worked and under-managed that it's disgraceful. I've been there about 4-5 times since the old guy died, and it was the same experiacne every time. People coming in later than us getting served before us, the staff simply forgetting about us, beer orders taking 20 min to show up, and coming wrong.

I wouldn't mind this service if the price was cheap, but it's a damn rip off there. It's always packed, so management obviously thinks nothing is wrong. I guess nothing is wrong since it's packed, but you won't find me in there.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#15 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:15 PM

I like Christie's and the beagle. Upper Deck on Gorge for all you can eat steroid wings (if they still do that). Swans was always good and you gotta like some of their brews, and I liked the old baily, but haven't tried smith's. Spinnakers's been in need of some help for a while. I used to frequent the bird of paradise, but they're not as good as they used to be. Friday's behind the Nautilis on Quadra used to be good for a sports bar. Brewsky's in Brentwood is pretty good, but I still miss the Oak 'n Barrel. The 4 mile is still pretty good last time I checked, the loghouse pub in Langford is a little dingy. Ma Miller's pub near Goldstream was always fun and they had an all you can eat brunch on Sundays (not sure if that's still going, but all you can eat benny's was awesome). 17 mile outside sooke was ok, nothing special in the 'x' mile series. Prarie Inn in Saanichton is not bad and prices aren't bad. The Rumrunner in Sidney was a blast, mind you that was when my friend used to bar-tend there. That's a summary of some of the more frequented pubs I went to. If I remember more I might share.

#16 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:28 AM

I'm a huge fan of Smiths Pub, and I like Garrick's Head as well.

I agree about Swans, I was there Friday and the staff were less than useless, including the manager's unwillingness to acknowledge the shoddy service as a problem ("we're busy"). I think it was my last visit.

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:29 AM

I used to love the Old Bailey. I have not been there since the change.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#18 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:54 AM

I love Garrick's Head as well. Love the fireplace in the winter. Would be perfect on a day like today!

#19 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:05 AM

The fireplace was indeed very nice yesterday!

#20 Amanday

Amanday
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:20 PM

oof, had a pretty terrible Swans experience this weekend.

My current favourite watering hole is Smiths, although I have been ending up Canoe on Wednesdays for their (sorta) cheap pints.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users