BUILT
V1488
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1488 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 13
V1488 is a 13-storey purpose-built rental tower with ground floor commercial space in downtown Victoria's Harr... (view full profile)
Learn more about V1488 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] "V1488" | 1075 Pandora/1488 Cook Street | Built - completed in 2018

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
685 replies to this topic

#1 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

Got a notice in the mail today re a development proposal for 1075 Pandora - where Coast Capital is now.....

Looks like they are holding a community meeting on September 13 regarding
- removal of existing buildings
- Blasting
- Number of buildings
- Height
- Number of Stories
- Floor Area
- Site coverage
- Number of Rental Units
- LEED
- New Zone
- Views from existing buildings (my favourite)

I had heard through the grapevine from a realtor at the Mondrian that this lot was up for redev, it will be great for the area depending on what is being proposed. But given that I am loosing half my view to the Mondrian, not entirely sure about loosing the other half to the North East - but all new development in this area is good as long as there is services and resources to support the people...

Has anyone heard anything on this?

The applicant name is JCP Properties Ltd - Dan Cox

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,158 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I don't think anyone has mentioned anything about this on VV.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

People have been eyeballing that site as a prime development site for several years now. The players' names are unfamiliar to me. It's a surprise as the building was derelict for a couple of years before Coast Capital (or the landlords) brought it back to life. It was the BCAA office before they moved beside Starbucks at Quadra and Yates. I'm very interested in how high they plan to go.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

A fourth ten storey would be a mistake. Eight or twelve IMO.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:24 AM

5 would be ideal IMO. It wouldn't shade the park and block views of surrounding towers like anything taller would.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:07 AM

What's this (at risk of Downtownguy99 having a heart attack, along with every Mondrian buyer):

CGS Property Group:

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:54 AM

whoa, I didn't know Victoria was that kind of city. but hey, why not!

#8 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:03 AM

At this point I'm wondering just how harmful a few slim and nicely separated towers would really be in Victoria. If that image doesn't make people pause for reflection, nothing will.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,158 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:21 AM

The powers that be say they want a "Paris," don't they?

Anyhow, unless the development team has past experience with projects of this magnitude (and by all indications their existing properties aren't anywhere near the scale of what we see here) we could be looking at yet another overly ambition proposal by a developer that doesn't have the wherewithal to complete the project. Either that or they'll want to flip as soon as zoning is secured.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:27 AM

Ha, this would be terrible. Everything I've been complaining about re urban planning downtown. "This block already has some 10-storey towers, so a couple more crammed in must be OK" , is completely wrong.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:40 AM

At this point I'm wondering just how harmful a few slim and nicely separated towers would really be in Victoria. If that image doesn't make people pause for reflection, nothing will.

But with Harris Green, you've got a height restriction but no density restriction. As long as you follow the separation guidelines, which is looks like they have (It doesn't look like living room windows are facing other living room windows, for example).

Anyhow, unless the development team has past experience with projects of this magnitude (and by all indications their existing properties aren't anywhere near the scale of what we see here) we could be looking at yet another overly ambition proposal by a developer that doesn't have the wherewithal to complete the project. Either that or they'll want to flip as soon as zoning is secured.

I agree, this is the big boy playground. I don't care how many cabins you've built on Salt Spring, this proposal is a whole different animal.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:49 AM

Question for Marko.

What type of full disclosure is required from the sales people at Mondrian, with this proposal on paper....
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

I'm certain a Realtor must disclose his knowledge if asked. Do you scare away potential investors because of a mere speculative possible proposal? Or do you volunteer any possible future development, even if it's a rumour, in order to build long term trust. If it was already approved by City Hall it would be different, this is just a very early idea.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

I'm certain a Realtor must disclose his knowledge if asked. Do you scare away potential investors because of a mere speculative possible proposal? Or do you volunteer any possible future development, even if it's a rumour, in order to build long term trust. If it was already approved by City Hall it would be different, this is just a very early idea.

I mean what has to be disclosed, whether asked or not. There are things that MUST be disclosed, asked or not.

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:46 AM

The only thing a project like this will do to the Mondrian is increase their property values. This is currently a transitional area whereas this proposal which is ambitious will increase density and create more services.

This is exactly what was envisioned for Harris Green back in the late 1990s with the design charette that was done. That said if I were putting forward the proposal I would drop the 10 storey section to 4 storeys and increase the corner lot to 16. Of course that would be well outside the height allowance for the area.

Still if you look at benefit to the city I would be inclined to support this in its current form. No one said we were trying to create Vancouver point and podium towers. The idea was to create a low dense city ala Washington and Paris. Unless that idea changes and we increase height allowances or the city changes its population increase estimates for the downtown core we are going to continue to see proposals like this.

Developers are putting forward what they think the city wants and as people in business with the intent to make money they are going to do that to the best of their ability.

It has a whole new look!

#16 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

Question for Marko.

What type of full disclosure is required from the sales people at Mondrian, with this proposal on paper....

Good question, a bit of an interesting situation as the sales people (also licensed realtors) are related (wifes) of the developers. I am assuming the Mondrian developers have received this notice?

To be honest, I don't know what is exactly legally required in terms of disclosure given it is only a proposal, but I would hope ethical realtors/sales people working for developers would disclose that a proposal has been made especially to those buying on the two potentially most affected flanks.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

The second picture seems to show the parking entrance or exit coming onto Cook. This seems to be a huge mistake. I mean that light can get backed up going south already. Why would you not put the entrance/exit onto the Pandora laneway and allow for the section of Cook Street to be a complete commercial strip. This would continue the village continuity from the North Park Village to the North and hopefully encourage more commercial along Cook to the South in the future.

The more I think about it I would do the lot between the older rentals and the Mondrian as townhouses. At the very least townhouses facing Johnson but something like the ones on Quadra by North Park Cycle would also be a good fit (though with a more pleasant backside)

Option one

or these ones

Option two

It has a whole new look!

#18 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

Something like the SoMA might also work on that lot.

Option three

It has a whole new look!

#19 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

The tower on Johnson is wrong. We shouldn't be cramming a 10 story residential tower between two others in a space so narrow the tower has to have largely windowless sides which the existing towers look directly over to.

Four storys max there I say or yeah, townhouses.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

The more I think about it I would do the lot between the older rentals [/URL]

Those are both condos. Yes, there are lots of rentals in there, but they are individually owned. I had a suite in the west building, my first-ever apartment after moving out of the parent's home, circa 1987. Nothing like the 120v 18"w dryers to take 5 hours to dry a pair of white jeans.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)