Local churches and grounds

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

Rare Chinese chairs found in B.C. church net top bid of $630,000 in New York

VICTORIA - After sitting unnoticed in a Vancouver Island church for years, two chairs dating back to 17th century China have sold at auction for $630,000. A parishioner of Victoria’s St. Matthias Anglican Church who is an aficionado of Oriental antiques but wants to remain anonymous first noticed the chairs in 2010. Originally, the armchairs were thought to be fake, but their worn feet proved their authenticity.

Bidding began at Sotheby’s New York at $120,000 but rose in $10,000 intervals, quickly surpassing their estimated value of $180,000 to $250,000. After hitting $500,000, bidding began to jump in intervals of $25,000, hitting a ceiling of $630,000. With extra costs, known as a buyer's premium, the final price for the two chairs was $758,500.
(Victoria Times Colonist)

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

Audio story on why they are so rare and sought after:

Audio: A Pair of Huanghuali Yoke-Back Armchairs, Guanmaoyi | Audio | Christie's
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:18 AM

What do we have here at St. Andrew's? Internment wall?  Or super-mailboxes?

I like the idea of a semi-permanent internment wall with hinged door, you pay by the month.  Your unit is unpaid for 3 straight months, then it's like a storage locker, people can bid on the contents like Storage Wars.

File_000 (100).jpeg

File_001 (55).jpeg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:22 AM

They put drainage and such in, as well as pipes? A fountain? Koi pond? An outdoor shower?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:25 AM

The base of the cubicles is a very heavy stick of granite.   I'm not sure there is any plumbing. 

#6 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:40 AM

I saw it when it was started and it looked like alot of PVC piping wad put in under the slab.

#7 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:41 AM

Crazy homeless person when I just walked by and was looking started screaming at me saying it's a memorial.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:05 AM

Crazy homeless person when I just walked by and was looking started screaming at me saying it's a memorial.

Well, it's settled then.   :wave:

#9 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:09 AM

Can I just point out that it's interment, not internment?

• Nparker likes this

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:19 AM

Can I just point out that it's interment, not internment?

Oh...

Well what if you have say, a life sentence in jail and you die, you have to be interned at the graveyard.  I do know that in WW2 Japanese-Canadians had to report to inland graveyards.

#11 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

You're interned in the prison. Once you die, you're interred in the cemetery.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

Very interring tangent, but methinks we should bury it before it becomes interminable.*

*unless anyone else has more hilarious wordplay to contribute

• VicHockeyFan and Jill like this

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:05 AM

Ok it's awaiting a granite finish. And ya it's for ashes.

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 02:26 AM

Sod turned for Catholic church in Langford that’s ‘bucking the trends’; almost triple the size of old one

As other Roman Catholic congregations grapple with declining attendance, Our Lady of the Rosary parish in Langford is overflowing with worshippers

#15 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 10:58 AM

I'm indifferent toward formal religion in general, raised under the United Church (Protestant) umbrella I haven't set foot in a UC since my sister's wedding 30 years ago; I did however marry a Catholic girl and periodically went to church with her and our daughter - St Joseph the Worker at McKenzie and Burnside - until the Residential Schools issue blew up and she renounced the church. It remains for her in a holding pattern pending how Rome and the local catholic establishment ultimately responds to that dark period, and we haven't been now in probably 7-8 years.

Point here being though that when I was going the thing that impressed me most about the CC was that it wasn't your grandparent's church - all fire and brimstone and going to one of heaven, hell, purgatory or limbo*, but rather a thoroughly modern service that was updated to 21st century sensibilities, open, welcoming and during Easter and Christmas services especially almost light-hearted, very festive and dare I say even "entertaining". At Christmas in particular I (almost) actually looked forward to going....

Contrast that to the Anglicans who have spent the last 20 years bickering and sniping and imploding among themselves over various doctrines to the point they are practically extinct, and whatever it is the UC is doing these days - not much if their crappy attendance figures are anything to go by - and its fairly evident why the modern CC seems to be holding its own in terms of adherents and especially church attendance. 

*Limbo for those who don't know is where the CC says unbaptised babies go - ** ".....yep can't see God if you're not baptised but you were too young to make the decision (so)....whip him/her into Limbo!"

**I would love to say I learned about Limbo from paying attention to one of those church services but the fact is I learned about it from the George Carlin comedy album "Class Clown" - I highly recommend it :)

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 01:23 PM

The Bishop usually spends Christmas Mass with First Nations, many of whom are Catholic, in remote communities. It has been a tradition for a very long time. I think Bishop Gordon maintains that tradition but it’s been a while since I’ve been to Christmas Mass downtown. Many people wonder why the Bishop is not presiding (or historically did not) over the mass, but it’s to dedicate himself to the First Nations.

It is a beautiful service. So is the Easter Service. They are centred around many people of many religions and religious tolerances being in attendance, when families get together for holidays, and go to mass. I went to the Latin mass this year for Easter at Our Lady Queen of Peace down in your neck of the woods, ASE. It’s a bit different than a non-Latin mass. My grandma used to go for Latin mass at OLQP. Brought back memories…
  • AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 07:49 PM

I don't believe in church, praying, religion, or god. I also don't believe in UFO's and conspiracy theories.

• Nparker, Matt R. and sdwright.vic like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 08:54 PM

Oh please. You’ve posted an entire bible’s worth of boomer email conspiracies to this forum over the years :banana:
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 09 October 2022 - 11:18 PM

I’m in the same boat LJ, but obviously aliens are real.

I’ve been to a few Christmas mass things with my MIL in her part of BC and always enjoy the time, even though religion and cults give me the creeps mostly. (He says from a Guiding Centre in a very religious country.)
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#20 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 07:29 PM

Oh please. You’ve posted an entire bible’s worth of boomer email conspiracies to this forum over the years :banana:

Did I ever once say I believed them?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users