- - - - -

Redbox Movie Rental Kiosks To Set Up at Shoppers Drug Mart, Loblaws

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Powerforward

Powerforward
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

TORONTO - Entertainment kiosk company Redbox Canada has brought two major Canadian retailers on board as part of its rollout plan.
The company, which rents movies and video games for $1.50 out of its machines, says both Shoppers Drug Mart Corp. (TSX:SC) and Loblaw Companies Ltd. (TSX:L) have agreed to dedicate space to Redbox kiosks in some of their stores.

Read more: Movie rental kiosk operator Redbox to set up at Shoppers Drug Mart, Loblaw

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

Saw these on O'ahu when I was there in March.

#3 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

^Yeah, they're all over the states. I hope the Shopper's by my house gets one. I'll use it often even though the selection doesn't offer much more than new releases. The convenience factor is too high, and the price too low, to ignore. Blockbuster should have been investing in these things 5 years ago...

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

Why bother in these days where you can just go on google play or telus or Shaw on demand?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,243 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

Here I was marvelling at how the era of the physical video rental pretty much went extinct (except for a few novel specimen) with such little fan fair. I guess these entrepreneurs didn't get the memo... Maybe the pricing will drive the online offerings down though!

#6 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

Why bother in these days where you can just go on google play or telus or Shaw on demand?

Because it's $1 and you might already be at a Shoppers anyway? Just another option, not meant to replace anything else.
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

Ya, I don't get it either.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

Are they setting these up in 1995? Otherwise this seems pretty much irrelevant.

#9 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,243 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

$1 a day... so more like $3 or $4 per rental because you never bring them back the next day, plus gas, plus irritation. This is what killed the video store, irritation. This version is just without "late fees" or people to sell you rewards programs. So less irritating, but still irritating. Digital is just too convenient. Watch it and is just disappears. No responsibility or burdens attached!

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

Amazingly, Mr. Romney, there are Victorians without expensive PVR boxes and multi-tiered cable packages. Some are lucky to have picked up a ten dollar DVD player at a garage sale that they've plugged into their CRT big screen TV picked up off the side of the road.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

Amazingly, Mr. Romney, there are Victorians without expensive PVR boxes and multi-tiered cable packages. Some are lucky to have picked up a ten dollar DVD player at a garage sale that they've plugged into their CRT big screen TV picked up off the side of the road.

I'm not saying it's right, but most people I know that have even a rudimentary knowledge of how computers work, download movies and TV shows as soon as a trusted and quality torrent is available (usually 10 hours after the movie DVD is released every Tuesday, or two hours after the TV show runs in the eastern time zone) and pay zero for them. No Netflix, no Shaw on Demand.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

Here's why I'll probably use it: I don't have cable so no shaw on demand. The media I get from the internet is often crappy quality, and takes hours to download. So if they put this in a place I frequent, and I like the selection and it takes 5 seconds, I'll bring home a DVD for a night.

#13 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

Safeway at Tillicum has had one of these for a few years, we've used it before and it does a decent job. Shaw's VOD is expensive compared to renting a DVD, but many are willing to pay for the convenience.

Matt.

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

I haven't used the box at Safeway but I do see people using it from time to time.

I'm a quality snob so now that BlockBuster has gone bust I'm stuck paying for Shaw's HD VOD... :/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#15 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

Shaw's VOD is expensive compared to renting a DVD, but many are willing to pay for the convenience.

Matt.

@Matt - Fully agree with your Shaw comment on the price and I was never too impressed with their selections, a lot of movies I had never heard of before, which is fine as long as you have a good selection of mainstream movie choices as well, but I always found that part lacking.

Have found the Safeway redboxes quick and cheap, assuming I am back in either Sidney or Tilly the next day for the return.

On another note, the Greater Victoria Public Library has grown apretty extensive and diverse DVD/Blu Ray collection as long as you don't mind waiting for your pick via the Hold system. Hard to beat free if you are close to a branch of the library. Once you have 40-60 DVD's requested,with time you can count on 1-2/week coming in, then you have them for a week.

Carl

Carl I. Jensen
Central Saanich Councillor

Twitter - @carloncouncil
E - carl.jensen@csaanich.ca
T - 250.858.6532
Facebook - http://facebook.com/carlforcouncil

#16 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

download movies and TV shows as soon as a trusted and quality torrent is available (usually 10 hours after the movie DVD is released every Tuesday, or two hours after the TV show runs in the eastern time zone)

Or before the movie is even in the theatre. It's so easy so find high quality, reliable torrents these days, I can't even remember the last time I actually purchased or rented a DVD.

As for the video game rental option, there's a neat website called http://gameaccess.ca/ where you get unlimited game rentals for a monthly fee. I've never tried it but it seems like a viable option.

#17 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

I've always found the movie/music piracy thing kind of strange. Perfectly reasonable people who would NEVER go into Walmart and steal a DVD have no qualms about stealing one on line. I guess the mental disconnect comes at the risk of being caught?

Matt.

#18 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,243 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

No one is the lesser for using this. The reason it exists is because the price point opening. The critique is more from a business perspective. It's just not long term viable. All it will take is for Netflix to start getting new releases and for itunes and other on demand services to drop their price and they are redundant. I give it a five year window tops.

Anyone notice the clamp down on torrents lately?

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

I've always found the movie/music piracy thing kind of strange. Perfectly reasonable people who would NEVER go into Walmart and steal a DVD have no qualms about stealing one on line. I guess the mental disconnect comes at the risk of being caught?

Matt.

I think that is a fair statement. But it's not just the "risk of being caught". The fact is, there are zero prosecutions, zero effort by authorities to pursue consumers. You could walk into the police station and swear a statement declaring your online theft, and you would not be charged or prosecuted. So it's a bit like the police declaring they will no longer charge for possession of small amounts of marijuana, it becomes de facto legal.

#20 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

Try stealing marijuana from a producer and see what happens. :)

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users