Photo

Shark Fin Soup

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Some BC cities have banned shark fin soup products.

What is Victoria's position on this, and what do you think?

I've never had it and don't plan on it.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca...oducts-1.953171

#2 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

Not sure the general vibe, but Azuma Sushi used to have it available but now seems to only have imitation shark fin salad.

The idea of a fin-less shark left to die does NOT sit well with me, and I ain't exactly the most progressive animal rights person.

#3 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

I agree leaving a shark to swim away without a fin or 2 is horrendous

BUT

Eating chickens is Ok because they are treated way better...Turkeys too.....

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=u9Tda7MqhNs

I eat chicken too and I used to deliver chickens to the Lilydale Slaughterhouse in Langford so I have the right to speak on this because I have seen first hand how chickens are raised and treated. If those who eat chicken knew or saw inside a chicken barn they would probably not want to eat chicken any longer.

My point is the Shark Fin Soup thing in my opinion has more to do with race than anything else.

Just like the the Greenpeace warriors trying to expose the slaughter of dolphins etc in Japan but at the same time in Canada and teh USA we keep Orcas and other marine mammals in small tanks for our viewing pleasure.

#4 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

^ Sharks are endangered, chickens aren't.

#5 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

I have been a vegetarian/pescetarian for 21 years, but now have cut back on eating fish quite a bit as well as dairy products. I have now discovered through my girlfriend the vegan diet.

Anyway

Depending on where you live, here if you are killing dogs and cats, you are a monster, but if you eat cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, etc, its ok.

In other countries, cows are sacred.

Heck in some remote areas of the world, people are eaten.

It is intriging to see how we as humans have decided what is for eating and what is for pets or for entertainment purposes.

If people actually knew how their food is produced, i think many would do a complete diet change.

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

I agree with this. I heard somewhere that the soup is actually pretty tasteless and people only eat it for tradition or some bogus mythological health benefit. Rhinocerous horn is in this dubious category of shame as well.

However, if you're reading this from your baby sealskin sofa and have about as much compassion as Mr. Honey Badger, here's a recipe.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

If farmers want to raise them in pens, kill them and cut the fins off I have no problem. If poor fishermen in third world countries are forced to poach the fins and leave them to die in order to feed their family, thats another story. Banning it here might sound good to local residents, but it does nothing to solve the problem.

#8 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

I agree with this. I heard somewhere that the soup is actually pretty tasteless and people only eat it for tradition or some bogus mythological health benefit. Rhinocerous horn is in this dubious category of shame as well.

However, if you're reading this from your baby sealskin sofa and have about as much compassion as Mr. Honey Badger, here's a recipe.

Try watching the Gordon Ramsy bit on youtu without cringing... He says its tasteless...

#9 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Try watching the Gordon Ramsy bit on youtu without cringing... He says its tasteless...

Agreed. Here's the link for those who haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=r65FgUYdBOc

And the part after is also eye-opening. The number of people who realize it's literally flavourless AND also pointlessly expensive, yet will still eat it just to prove they are wealthy. :badpc:

Plus the number of fins he encountered at that plant was astounding.
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#10 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

^ Sharks are endangered, chickens aren't.

It is this attitude that I was referring too

That makes it alright then?
To force feed animals growth hormones and make them so fat and week that they can't stand up at 35 days old

Is it alright to inject cattle with this stuff too or how about to put a bolt gun to a cows head and it misfires and doesn't kill the animal?

In your world it may be ok because they are not endangered but in my world I disagree

Clean water is also endangered or in short supply but here in North America we use it like there is an endless supply in very wasteful ways

#11 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

In your world it may be ok because they are not endangered but in my world I disagree

I didn't say that it was OK, I simply said that it was not equivalent. In one case you are concerned with the welfare of individual animals, which is fair enough. But in the case of sharks you are concerned with an entire species, and beyond the species into the ecosystem they are a pretty important part of. There is pretty strong research that indicates that as you take sharks off the food web, the web switches to preferring invertebrates, and so killing the sharks makes other fish more scarce, including fish we eat http://e360.yale.edu...fisheries/2359/

#12 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

It has no culinary value and is a pointless barbaric cultural practise that needs to be educated away.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#13 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

Speaking of insane endangered meals:

Francois Mitterand's Last Meal

The ortolans were offered to the table, but not everyone accepted. Those who did draped large, white cloth napkins over their heads, took the ortolans in their fingertips, and disappeared. The room shortly filled with wet noises and chewing. The bones and intestines turned to paste, swallowed eventually in one gulp. Some reveled in it; others spat it out.

Read more: The Last Meal - Esquire http://www.esquire.c...8#ixzz2DrnsUHoc

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#14 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

I started watching a DVD tonight called Human Planet it is part of the BBC series on Planet Earth and scientist types say that if humans continue harvesting the oceans at the rate they are today that there will be no fish left in the oceans in approx 50 years

#15 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

Depending on where you live, here if you are killing dogs and cats, you are a monster, but if you eat cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, etc, its ok.

In other countries, cows are sacred.

For me it's more about the waste than the animal itself. Killing a shark (slowly no less) just for the fins is criminally wasteful. If they want to harvest sharks and use the whole fish like any other then that's fine with me. But the current practices smack of the buffalo slaughters in north america. Not remotely sustainable.

#16 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

how about to put a bolt gun to a cows head and it misfires and doesn't kill the animal?

Sounds fine to me. You prefer to let them die of old age? Any slaughtering mechanism fails once in a while, that's the reality of it.

Clean water is also endangered or in short supply but here in North America we use it like there is an endless supply in very wasteful ways

And it's also a bad idea, although this is a heck of a tangent.

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

To force feed animals growth hormones and make them so fat and week that they can't stand up at 35 days old

Is it alright to inject cattle with this stuff too or how about to put a bolt gun to a cows head and it misfires and doesn't kill the animal?

Anyone has the option of humanely raised chickens. Sharks not so much.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#18 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Unlike other meats where once you kill the animal virtually all of it is used, I think it's cruel to slice off a piece of a shark and send the thing back into the water.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#19 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

Then you get Anton Chigurh to finish the job.

#20 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

Anyone has the option of humanely raised chickens. Sharks not so much.

Thats a good point I didnt think of, and am not fully educated about sharks but if what people are saying about the soup having no taste makes me wonder what the point is of eating it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users