Victoria Public Market at The Hudson

• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

I think we'll need a thread for this as it moves ahead to a spring opening.

So far, they have lined up a few ready-made-to-eat food vendors, and outlets from other vendors already in the city - they are going to need more than that.

http://www.canada.co...6337/story.html

Hot and Cold Cafe (Cosmo Meens, Mo:le)
<Unnamed> (George Szasz of Paprika/Stage)
Tortilleria Monterrey

Island Spice Trade
Bounty Seafood
Silk Road tea
Salt Spring Island Cheese
Wildfire Bakery

The new Public Market set to open at the Hudson Building downtown is shaping up to be a foodie central with the first confirmed list of vendors.

Highlights include some new additions to the local food scene: The Hot and Cold Café from Cosmo Meens, Olympic chef and Mo:lé founder. George Szasz of Paprika and Stage Wine Bar fame will also launch a new hot food venture.

Tortilleria Monterrey will bring their popular market handmade tortillas to their Mexican-style deli. Island Spice Trade and Bounty Seafood are other new additions.

Established local favourite such as Silk Road tea, Salt Spring Island Cheese and Wildfire Bakery will also have shops.

“The focus is food and local,” said Maryanne Carmack, administrator for the Victoria Downtown Public Market Society. She said food vendors are also selected for variety, providing a one-stop local shop for those downtown.

Vendors in the market include an array of local farmers’ day tables, semi-permanent kiosks operating on one-year leases and permanent vendors with three-year leases.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 TCB

TCB
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

VERY excited about this. I hope that this gains momentum and keeps attracting quality vendors like the ones that have already signed up. I live in the area and could definitely see myself frequenting a market like this.

The only problem I forsee for those who don't live downtown is parking...

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

The public market in the Hudson building is expected to open in early June — about a month and a half later than planned — and organizers continue to assemble merchants for the year-round indoor operation.

Twelve vendors have signed three-year contracts, while eight have one-year contracts in the 18,000-square-foot space, the Victoria Public Market Society said Friday.

Just over 70 per cent of the space — once the ground floor of the Hudson’s Bay department store on Douglas Street, between Herald and Fisgard — is leased. Market organizers hope to fill the remaining spots with a butcher and other food-related businesses.

Opening day was originally set for mid-April, but that forecast, made in November, might have been ambitious, said market general manager Maryanne Carmack.

http://www.timescolo...e-start-1.88492
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

Last month:

The public market in the Hudson building is expected to open in early June — about a month and a half later than planned — and organizers continue to assemble merchants for the year-round indoor operation.

Today:

Public market in downtown Victoria to open in the Hudson June 22

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

Earlier:

April 11:

Public market in downtown Victoria to open in the Hudson June 22

Today:

Last November, the year-round indoor public market was slated to open in April. However, in mid-April organizers were still making arrangements and lining up vendors to fill the few remaining spaces. At that time, the opening date was set for June 22, with the grand opening July 13.

The June date has now been dropped.

http://www.timescolo...market-1.229862

#6 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

there's still lots of work to do inside

#7 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

Townline is not developing itself a very good reputation for flawless execution of its projects.

Everything is either behind schedule, delayed, or shrouded in mystery. You can throw in claims of shoddy fit and finish at the Hudson too.

By comparison, Chard seems to execute its projects on time, as originally announced and doesn't leave vacant eyesores downtown for years and years.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, when Dylan and I peered into the space last week we thought there was no way in hell they would be ready by early June.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

Looks like there's an outdoor market for now until the indoor market is finished

Video by Bernard :)

dlHb3eDYOG8

#10 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

Yes, I saw this out back on the lane yesterday evening.

This could be a pretty special neighbourhood if/when Townline finishes the buildout of the towers and Hudson Walk.

#11 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

I was not impressed with what was available. A good farmer's market has large volumes of fresh produce available. In the lower mainland I would expect to be able to gross $1000 to $3000 in produce sales at an average cost of about $1.50 a pound for the produce. I had a stall at the Whistler Farmer's Market for a couple years and without knowing what I was doing I quickly was grossing over $500 a Sunday but then I had more produce than all the produce vendors I saw at the Hudson combined

The cost here is too high and the selection is not great.

#12 zinkerled

zinkerled
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

Market Square had the perfect setting and atmosphere for this type of market. This was the strangest business decision I've seen in Victoria since The BC Experience. I predict the venders don't even bother showing up in the winter, if it lasts that long.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

I imagine kiosks are sub-leased from the market operator who in turn is leasing the entire market space from Townline? This must be a fairly costly endeavor and is dependent on each kiosk operator making good on their sub-lease commitment. Once a few begin to drop out problems could easily snowball into something that affects all operators.

Granted nobody really knows what sort of arrangement the market organizers have with Townline and how long Townline expects them to be in operation. I mean should a major tenant announce they want to occupy all or most of the groundfloor, what then? Would Townline reject them in favour of the market, or?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

We'll see how long the new Hudson market will last after the grants are gone.

They got a big grant from VanCity. I don't believe this is a viable location in the long term.

If you want a variety of produce just walk 2 blocks down to China town.

#15 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

because I am connected to mkt sq I agree with zinkerled and all of us attached to Mkt Sq were sad to lose the market. We charged them nothing to be there and the costs associated with the indoor market and Hudson are NOT free. Life has a way of leveling these things out and we will see how it all plays out. I personally wish all the market stall owners luck with the new location and hope that they will be successful. Markets are the new coffee shops.
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#16 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

You also have the Wednesday market in the Oak Bay Village the Moss Street Market, the vendors on lower Fisgard Street and the Root Cellar and others, for a selection of fresh produce.

#17 zinkerled

zinkerled
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

because I am connected to mkt sq I agree with zinkerled and all of us attached to Mkt Sq were sad to lose the market. We charged them nothing to be there and the costs associated with the indoor market and Hudson are NOT free.

Did I read that right? They weren't being charged ANYTHING at Market Square!?! That is absolutely incredible. They left a free location right at the most popular spot for the clean-living crowd in downtown, right outside the green cuisine, to go to a building in an area of downtown nobody goes to unless they're passing through or going to Smoke N' Bones? Just to have more room? How on earth can that be worth PAYING RENT on the whole thing? I'm blown away.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

Progress?

#19 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

That's the public market. Why is it taking so long?

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

Is the Farmer's Market at the Hudson supposed to resemble the Granville Island market at all? Do we really know what this is supposed to be?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users