Move vs. Lift House vs. Replace House

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 camikins

camikins
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

Hi,

I've got a small 40's house (tiny 2 bed) on a reasonably good lot. I need a bigger place. Options I'm considering are: moving; lifting our house; and removing our house and starting from scratch. Moving is an obvious answer, but as for the other two options:

* Any ideas on a typical cost to lift a house and related construction costs?

* I've also seen some folk remove (not demo) their existing house (e.g. have it taken away by someone like NickelBros), leaving an empty lot to start net-new construction on. Since moving in a few yrs ago, I've spent some money updating (insulation, rewiring etc) so to simply tear-down seems wasteful. If it's worth something, then perhaps moving it to another lot somewhere makes sense, so someone else can use it.

Thoughts on either option above?

Thanks

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

Welcome to the posting side of VV, camikams.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 phx

phx
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

The figure I've heard is $7/square foot to raise and lower a house.

That's not including building a new ground floor, of course.

#4 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

Hi,

I've got a small 40's house (tiny 2 bed) on a reasonably good lot. I need a bigger place. Options I'm considering are: moving; lifting our house; and removing our house and starting from scratch. Moving is an obvious answer, but as for the other two options:

* Any ideas on a typical cost to lift a house and related construction costs?

* I've also seen some folk remove (not demo) their existing house (e.g. have it taken away by someone like NickelBros), leaving an empty lot to start net-new construction on. Since moving in a few yrs ago, I've spent some money updating (insulation, rewiring etc) so to simply tear-down seems wasteful. If it's worth something, then perhaps moving it to another lot somewhere makes sense, so someone else can use it.

Thoughts on either option above?

Thanks

I've done this with my father on a few occasions. We have always opted to tear down and build new. Not really sure what you save by lifting a small two bedroom home? A bit of lumber and the roof?

In 2011 we bought 2529 Shakespeare;

Replaced it with a brand new home (2,840 sq/ft finished plus 400 sq/ft garage). Google streetview not the best on this one;

More pictures including interior at http://www.jurasconstruction.com/?p=46

You can expect the home above to cost around $400,000 to build plus or minus $50,000 depending on heating system, finishing, etc.

Regarding tearing down or having NickelBros remove probably better to have NickelBros remove if someone is willing to take the home for free and pay for the transport. Tearing down is become ultra-complicated secondary to asbestos and lead paint testing. Most municipalities will not issue a demolishment permit without an environmental study of the home. Removing asbestos or lead paint can be expensive. Even without those issues it is expensive to dump a home as it runs well over $100/ton at the landfill and homes can range from 20 to 100 tons depending on size. Plus add trucking, excavator, etc.

Finally, your home might be worth a lot more as an entry level home for someone than as a tear down. Sometimes the smartest thing to do is to sell your home and buy a true tear down for cheaper. I had clients recently do this in Fairfield. They bought a teardown on the same street and sold their home for approximately $150,000 more than what they paid for the teardown.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

Hmm, that's a nice house, but I'd fire your window salesperson. Those muntin bars are a mess.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

I like the inside of the house but the outside styling looks pretty boxy. What sort of heating does it have, I noticed electric baseboards on the first floor, is that some sort of radiator on the wall in the family room area?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

I like the inside of the house but the outside styling looks pretty boxy. What sort of heating does it have, I noticed electric baseboards on the first floor, is that some sort of radiator on the wall in the family room area?

Standard 50'x110' city lot. The offsets are large; therefore, if you want to max out on the square footage of the home for a R1-B lot you have to essentially build a box.

Specification home so heating system is on a budget. Baseboards downstairs (two bedroom suite on separate meter). Upstairs a mix of Valor gas fireplace (puts out a crazy amount of heat), electrical fan heaters with programmable thermostats, and heated floors in the bathrooms. No baseboards.

Fernwood has a price ceiling. No one is going to pay for radiant floors or heat pump. If you over build you get burned.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#8 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Check out my former house at 213 Ontario St. In James Bay. We had it raised in 1989 for $45,000. Years later the house to the east was raised, and the house to the east of that (they were identical 1912 houses) was torn down and replaced by a new build.

When Nickle Bros. did the initial lift, we found that the vertical posts had been eaten by carpenter ants. All that was holding it up was the stucco on the pony wall. When it was done we had a dry and safe full height poured concrete basement. I never regretted it.
Pieta VanDyke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users