Quality Foods stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Quality Foods will be coming to greater Victoria!,
The first location Is in View Royal, as was stated in the Godstream news.
The entrance of QF to the market will be awesome, it will definitely be a unique shopping experience for Victoria.

#2 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

It was only announced that they were interested in the leasing the anchor space. I haven't heard anything about them being the confirmed tenant.
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#3 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

It's going into eagle creek village,

#4 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

It's going into eagle creek village,

Again, nothing is final. If you have information that states otherwise, post it here. You started this thread. :)
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#5 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

Again, nothing is final. If you have information that states otherwise, post it here. You started this thread. :)

I read the article also and it didi sày QF WAS going to be a tenent. Can't find the story though.... :-(
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

Google skills weak, they are, young Skywalker...

5. BYLAW FOR CONSIDERATION
a) View Royal Official Community Plan Bylaw No. 811, 2011, Amendment Bylaw No.
848, 2012
A Bylaw to Amend the Official Community Plan with Respect to the Designation of 29
Helmcken Road, 1650 Little Road, and Part of 1 Hospital Way
[...]
f) B. Robertson of Quality Foods, proposed anchor tenant,
discussed the history of Quality Foods and its community
involvement.

View Royal residents approve of Eagle Creek

At the hearing it was also announced Quality Foods is the grocery retailer interested in leasing space set aside for a grocer in Eagle Creek. Quality Foods has locations throughout mid-Vancouver Island and Powell River. This would be the first location for the chain in Greater Victoria.

Co-owner of Helmcken Market, Shannon Tse, spoke at the hearing, asking the developer to reconsider bringing in a large grocer to compete with her small market that has served the community for 39 years.

“We’re not objecting to the development, but why do we need two stores in this small town?” Tse asked.
[...]
“It’s not simply a shopping mall, it’s not simply a professional centre. It is in fact a community,” project manager Peter Laughlin said.

Note: Peter Laughlin was a project manager at the Radius.

$100-million project gets a hearing
Seven buildings proposed near Victoria General Hospital

Quality Foods has signed on to be the anchor tenant and the project is already 85 per cent preleased, Laughlin said.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

I think the confusion lies in the fact that another developer in that area has been suggesting to people that QF is going into their development. I don't think there is any doubt at this point that Eagle Creek is the destination.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Who is the developer that has been saying that?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

This is going to be a great addition to the Victoria retailing scene, they are a unique store concept, no other grocery stores have the services and departments they offer

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

Can you expand on what makes them unique?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

Who is the developer that has been saying that?

The comment was made earlier in the thread that "word on the street was that QF was going into Colwood Corners".

#12 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Can you expand on what makes them unique?

QF is similar in footprint and style to Country Grocer. I had heard that Pattison now owned 49% of QF but that was only a rumour.

#13 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

I was at their big 30th anniversary bash in Parksville last month. They made the announcement...they're coming. They didn't actually name the development but they said "right beside VGH"....I guess that'll be the end of the Helmcken Market.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

QF is similar in footprint and style to Country Grocer. I had heard that Pattison now owned 49% of QF but that was only a rumour.

Yeah, you know I thought Quality Foods was just a re-branded Country Grocer when I first shopped there. Admittedly I didn't take the time to gauge how the store differed from Save-Ons and its ilk.

I guess that'll be the end of the Helmcken Market.

Yup.

Know it all.

#15 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:25 AM

QF's vary a lot in product and atmosphere. The Harewood one and the one on Bowen are limited in a lot of quality produce items, whereas the Parksville one, and especially the Qualicum store, and diverse and upscale. It will be interesting to see the size and offering they decide on for their first store here.

#16 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

The view royal store will be the size of qualicum, Courtney , and Powell river stores, with the second floor housewears/ furniture store, and starbucks cafe, plus the Chinese food restaurant they are famous for, it's going to be big store

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Oh wow, so they're going for the Lowlaws/Superstore setup with two floors. This should be interesting.

I wish Lowlaws would finally move on the Saanich Superstore. That lot is such an eyesore.

Know it all.

#18 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

I'm sure it's going to be well received by victorians

#19 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Oh wow, so they're going for the Lowlaws/Superstore setup with two floors. This should be interesting.

I wish Lowlaws would finally move on the Saanich Superstore. That lot is such an eyesore.

Loblaws. :cop:

#20 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

They are a more upscale store than Superstore or Loblaw's

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users