317 Burnside
Use: condo
Address: 317 Burnside Road East
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
317 Burnside is a four-storey, 20-unit woodframe condominium development on Burnside Road East in the City of ... (view full profile)
Learn more about 317 Burnside on Citified.ca
Photo

[Burnside] 317 Burnside | Condos | 4 floors | Built - completed in 2016

Condo

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

Going to ADP soon. Two lots, homes demo'd.

burnsidecondos.jpg

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for the update, Urbanistco.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

Interesting.

Too bad that they are demo'ing the house it looks like a pretty decent 1912 or so house. Did they ask if Nickel Bros wanted it?

GMap Streetview

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Interesting.

Too bad that they are demo'ing the house it looks like a pretty decent 1912 or so house. Did they ask if Nickel Bros wanted it?

GMap Streetview

It may be too bad that they demolished the house but what is even worse is they are planning a building that looks like it is directly out of the 1970s.

In todays age this design is the best that they could come up with? It would seem that in these economic time this is much too poor a product to bring to market. Who would want to buy in a building that already looks like it is 30 years old?

#5 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

I don't know about the fate of the house. We poked back a bit on the design, understanding it is a entry level wood frame. A little more articulation and breakup would be nice. There is a nice play area in the back. The most important push back was landscaping along Burnside, no more big hedges (CPTED), and a right in right out access.

Unit size and price dictate the design. Brick veneer, stucco, wood, and metal siding are on the materials palette. There are two large blank walls that a material change would be appreciated but there are firewall issues. I agree, the design is basic but it is market housing in an area of Victoria that needs a little facelift. I’m just glad it’s not more rental housing.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Even with the lower quality materials the floor to ceiling windows are a great feature. If built well this will be a nice building at a price attainable to far more buyers than a comparable unit anywhere near or in downtown.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Close to the Goose as well.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

The house on the site was beyond saving. The streetview is of the house after it sold from whatever horder/crazy person was living in it. The property used to be so overgrown you could not see the house from the street.

I watched the take down of the house and you could see it was rotted to hell. It also looked like the foundation was wrecked by tree roots.

Also a correction, only one house was demoed. The house was on two lots

#9 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

Who is the developer and do they have a website?

#10 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

It may be too bad that they demolished the house but what is even worse is they are planning a building that looks like it is directly out of the 1970s.

In todays age this design is the best that they could come up with? It would seem that in these economic time this is much too poor a product to bring to market. Who would want to buy in a building that already looks like it is 30 years old?

I couldn't agree more. My first reaction was holy **** that is fugly. Or as I refer to this architectual style "typical Victoria 4-storey "Dreck" Doesn't this city have enough of this junk already? Why does everything in the CRD have to seemingly be 4 stories? There simply aren't enough adjectives to describe how....well, "meh!" the typical 4 storey box in this town is, particularly the older stock in areas like Fairfield or along Shelboure in Saanich. Offhand I can think of a few: crashingly boring, bland, unimaginative, anabashedly awful, bleak and dreary are a just few that come to mind. Surely designers/architects especially for new buildings like this one can come up with something that is an improvement in terms of style? And are 6 or 8 or, heaven help us, 10 storey buildings somehow considered unlucky numbers? Do other councillors beyond Ms Madoff also fear losing their view of the Sooke Hills, in this case from Burnside Road? What is so wrong or bad about buildings of varying heights? Just asking....

#11 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

This proposal looks nicer than the developments on either side of if or the one across the street. That does not excuse crap, but it will be an improvement over what was there. The property used to be an abundant source of the neighbourhood's rats. I lived in a house that was three properties away from the back of it.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

I don't mind the design. Not every building has to be spectacular, together with the costs of building something like that. If the project is meant to be affordable and reach a buyer that would otherwise be priced out of the market in the city core then I'm fine with it.

That being said there are many, many buildings in Victoria built over the last 10 years in prominent locations that should have either met with stricter scrutiny at the hands of the Advisory Design Panel or not have been approved by council. Trendwest (councillors gushed over this one, believe it or not), Ross Place (Hillside at Douglas), The Wing (Vic West) and the last Railyards condo come immediately to mind. Thankfully the latter will be among many other buildings, but still, it's so drab compared to earlier phases.

Know it all.

#13 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Who is the developer and do they have a website?

Developer was an east indian fellow, cannot recall his name off by heart. He referenced himself as "Garden City Developments". No website, I think he is a floor tile store owner-turned-developer. This is his first multi-family project.

The design of the project is very basic. That said, it is easy to blast a building for design when compared to Shutters, Reef, or 200 Douglas (basic too). When you look at this building in the scale and character of the surrounding area, it accomplishes a very functional task. It is very hard to critique a functional building. They added some articulation, used material changes where massing changes could not be accomplished. They brought it as close to the street as possible and added a nice pocket park in the back. For a $275-300psf price range, it's a decent product.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

$275-$300 per sq. ft. is very reasonable.

Not too far away Uptown Place is targeting $400-$425.

Know it all.

#15 david.crossman

david.crossman
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

Attached are pics of the tree removal which began today. We live directly across the street from the proposed development.

image.jpg image.jpg
  • Mike K. likes this

#16 david.crossman

david.crossman
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:40 PM

Has anyone confirmed the name of the developer/s company or any previous projects they have been part of (single family or multi-family)?
  • Mike K. likes this

#17 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

Welcome, David and thanks for the photos!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

According to Urbanistco's post up above this is a first-time developer.

Know it all.

#19 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:32 AM

Sorry, I can't help shed any light, I've never heard of Garden City Developments

#20 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:50 PM

I passed by this project today; it is officially called "317 Burnside" (moderators:  can you update the thread name?).

I wasn't able to get a photo but it appears that a majority of the work has been done and I anticipate that construction will be complete sometime this spring.

The project website is at http://www.317burnside.com/ .

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users