Oakwoods, building A
Use: condo
Address: 429 Lampson Street
Municipality: Esquimalt
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: in planning
Oakwoods, building A is a six-storey condominium building situated along the 400-block of Lampson Street in th... (view full profile)
Learn more about Oakwoods, building A on Citified.ca
Photo

[Esquimalt] Oakwoods (English Inn) | Condos; townhomes; hotel | Up to 6-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

TC:

http://www.timescolo...c-manor-1.95300

New housing, care homes, assisted living facilities and tourist accommodation are part of a redevelopment proposal for the English Inn and Resort, which would also keep its historic manor.

The plan calls for the 4.5-acre Esquimalt site to be divided into two parcels that could then be sold. It also calls for demolition of Anne Hathaway’s cottage, once a tourist attraction that was part of an old English-style village.

“Since the 1970s, it has become increasingly evident that the existing use of the property is not economically viable. For this reason, the property and the buildings continue to deteriorate,” says the application to Esquimalt by owner LFC Lampson Holdings Inc.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

To this I say "good"; Mrs. ASE and I looked - very briefly - at having our wedding reception here however the grounds at the time were barely adequately being maintained, at best, and the buildings sorely in need of serious renovations. The entire property is tired and in need of a complete makeover. Hopefully something good will come out of this development.

#3 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

Or they will lift 'er up and but her on a barge to some deserted island up the coast.

#4 Ken Johnson

Ken Johnson
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

For a fairly detailed outline of what this project entails I suggest you read the Heritage Committee minutes of March 20, 2013, as linked below.

The Heritage Revitalization Agreement envisions the subdivision of the property into two parcels; one containing the English Inn and the other available for higher density uses which are not currently defined but some suggestions are made. The Owners are leaving the uses up to the market place. The proposed densities for Block B, cut out from the Inn property, of 1.6:1 is good but the proposed heights of up to 21 meters (essentially 7 floors) may meet some opposition from the residential neighbourhood.
http://www.esquimalt...sory_Agenda.pdf

#5 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

There are several four story apartment buildings surrounding this. SEVERAL!!! 6 stories is not out of line in this neighbourhood.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

Yup, there's one immediately adjacent to the property to the north and four more one block north.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 Shakespeare

Shakespeare
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:53 PM

It would be such a shame to demolish the replica Anne Hathaway's Cottage and Shakespeare's Birthplace.
Both are such good reproductions. The cottage in particular is a remarkable copy of the one in Stratford-upon-Avon.
In Bedfordale, Western Australia,there are also replicas of these two buildings. They no longer serve as tourist attractions and have been converted to dwellings. The Cottage was auctioned for A$ 590,000 in 2012. Shakespeare's Birthplace replica comes up for auction this March. A guide price of A$ 1,000,000 is listed.
May I suggest that this would be a better course of action as opposed to demolition. It would be a great loss to Victoria to lose these buildings.

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:06 PM

Welcome to the forum, Shakespeare!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:30 PM

Anne Hathaway's cottage is being renovated--there will be a big art show on the grounds this weekend.

• Nparker likes this

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:01 PM

And a crazy halfway to Halloween costume party May 1st. Weird.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:17 AM

"Plan to move the wedding facility from its present location, which is the main floor of the mansion, down to the...what we call the walk-out basement area, because it walks out onto the patio. And so we're doing that renovation. That's number one. And number two we're expanding the inn".

Moy met with neighbours this week to unveil plans for a condominium development on the three acres behind the Inn. He's planning 200 suites, in a building that would rise in steps to a maximum height of six storeys. The plan will be tweaked based on community input before a formal development application is made to the township.

http://www.cfax1070....-site-developme

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:07 AM

What we know so far is Aragon Properties plans to develop the site in four phases. Some 200 condo units will be built in buildings up to six-storeys tall.

Photos courtesy of Councillor Olga Liberchuk.

Esq-Inn-1.jpg

Esq-Inn-2.jpg

Esq-Inn-3.jpg

Know it all.

#13 madeincanada

madeincanada
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:55 PM

218 housing units in a 3.5 acre area...high density compared to anything else in Esquimalt, especially in this residential area. Depending on the size of each unit there could be 600 people living in this development with minimal access/egress to/from the property. Six stories is too high for the area also. I saw some old comments saying 6 stories is fine, suggesting there are "several 4 story apartment buildings surrounding this". Actually there is one four story apartment building bordering the property, adjacent to the inn, not the proposed development. The other building bordering the property (also adjacent to the inn) is 3 stories. There are a couple of 4 story apt. bldgs. up the road a ways on Lampson. Nothing rivaling a 6 story complex at all in this area!! They are also proposing turning a park into an 'emergency access road'. It would only be a matter of time before the developer or the strata council proposed that to be turned into a full blown access to the development. The roadways they have proposed will not handle the traffic for a development of this size. For a 3.5 acre property this development is just too much. Aragon's newly proposed development in Cordova Bay of 385 units on a 26 acre property is far more palatable. 

#14 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:48 PM

You may be right that they're proposing too many units on a small site, but re: the heights, there's a 4-story building on the same block and two more 4-story buildings on the very next block. You wouldn't consider that to be in the same area? How much nearer can you get?

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:00 PM

...Aragon's newly proposed development in Cordova Bay of 385 units on a 26 acre property is far more palatable. 

Especially as it is not in your back yard I presume.

• E2V likes this

#16 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:06 PM

^^^ Welcome to vibrantvictoria madeincanada.

#17 madeincanada

madeincanada
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:02 PM

Re: aastra...I did mention there is one adjacent to the inn, not adjacent to the proposed development area. It is a very small 4 story building. Not sure how many units but can't be more than 30. The other two are up Lampson, I also mentioned that. They are not even close to being 6 story dwelling units. 

#18 madeincanada

madeincanada
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:15 PM

Re:Nparker... I grew up in Cordova Bay, right next to the sand pit. Moved there in 1972, going there this weekend for turkey dinner! Spent many hours playing in that pit right where all of the condo's and golf course are now. Anyway, I know the area VERY well. The six story buildings there won't affect anyone as they will be up against a sand wall. Wouldn't want to live there if there's an earthquake though. The people up on Alderley won't even know there's six story buildings below them...it's pretty far up there. Cordova Bay has changed immensely since I was a kid, this new proposal for the pit is not a bad one in my opinion. 

#19 madeincanada

madeincanada
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:31 PM

One more thing about the area around the English Inn.... OK maybe more than one...Other than one four story and one three story building adjacent to the inn, it is all single family dwellings surrounding it. I'll say it again, this proposed development is just too dense for the area. The one story homes on Wychbury right behind the six story proposed condos will not only lose value but will never see sunlight in their back yard again! These six story buildings will absolutely tower over their homes! I'm not against development but this development is not a good fit for the area! 

#20 madeincanada

madeincanada
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:32 PM

Thanks Sparky!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users