Victoria's top tourism attractions

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

So at a meeting the other day, I was told that Sidney's Shaw Ocean Discovery Centre is the #3 draw in Greater Victoria, after Butchart Gardens and the RBC Museum. The Discovery Centre had about 120,000 visitors last year.

So it got me thinking, what else is top-10?

Do you think that more than 120,000 people go through the Empress Hotel every year?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

For sure, way more than 120,000 people go through the Empress Hotel in a year.

It makes me wonder what the attendance would be like at a decently large aquarium attraction in Victoria. The place in Sidney is fine but it's very small and quite out of the way.

#3 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

So it got me thinking, what else is top-10?

In addition to the three mentioned, here are some of my (FREE) picks.

Dallas Road walk from Clover Point to the end of the breakwater.

The Inner Harbour Causeway and Ships Point.

Beacon Hill Park.

Goverment House grounds.

The top of Mt. Tolmie and the view of Mt. Baker.

The present Johnson Street Bridge being raised.

#4 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Fort Rodd Hill perhaps? Not sure if it is free though as its been many, many years since I have been there. Back in the day it certainly used to draw large crowds.

#5 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

Cruise ship passeneger have a list of paid excursions they sign up for the day before the ship docks in Victoria

Butchart Garden
Butterfly Garden
Empress Tea
Craigdarroch Castle
Zipline
Whale Watching
Ciy Tour

There are many places that are not marked as attractions but should be 2 of them are....

The Gardens at Hatley park and Finnerty Gardens at UVIC

#6 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:43 AM

http://victoria.crai...5583506838.html

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:34 PM

Ferris Wheel tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_sMV6g07ss&feature=em-upload_owner

• Nparker likes this

#8 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:37 PM

Do you remember this Sparky...you know the area....

[attachment=13380:Rudys Zoo Ad.jpg]

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:39 PM

Sparky is Rudy the monkey.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:40 PM

That map hates round, gentle corners.  Big fan of 90 degrees.

#11 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:20 PM

^^^ Yes very well.

Did you know that Rudy's Zoo is the reason that there are so many geckos in our area. When they closed the zoo, nobody wanted the few that they had on display so they just tossed what they had into the forest. Now they are everywhere.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#12 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:09 PM

^^^ Yes very well.

Did you know that Rudy's Zoo is the reason that there are so many geckos in our area. When they closed the zoo, nobody wanted the few that they had on display so they just tossed what they had into the forest. Now they are everywhere.

You mean the European wall lizards? I've never seen a gecko here. Happen to have a nest of wall lizards in the backyard.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:17 PM

You mean the European wall lizards? I've never seen a gecko here. Happen to have a nest of wall lizards in the backyard.

The wall lizards are native to northern Italy and the south of France. No one is sure how they got from there to here, though we do know that the local Ground Zero is just south of Brentwood Bay.

There are a couple of stories about how they spread from there. For a long time, accepted wisdom said the lizards either escaped or were freed when Rudy’s Pet Park, a private zoo on Durrance Road, closed in 1970. But then Engelstoft got a call from a man saying he had let loose a single pair in 1967.

In either case, the lizards radiated out. Plenty are found in the southern end of Brentwood Bay. “Central Saanich is the hot spot,” Engelstoft says. Pockets have taken hold elsewhere on the Saanich Peninsula, on Triangle Mountain, in James Bay, the Gorge, even Mill Bay and elsewhere up-Island now.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.OtfQJipU.dpuf

#14 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

There are hundreds at Butchart gardens easy to see on hot sunny days when they are basking in the sun on concrete or rock walls

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:48 AM

The butterfly gardens has added an insectarium.

• Matt R. likes this

#16 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

Oh you mean they are contained ....that's funny because that place is full of insects anyway ..........now there are just more

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:11 PM

Well, I guess this is the new one.

Easy riders on toy animals zip around mall

Judging by the smiles and double-takes from shoppers, the sight of a middle-age man zipping around Mayfair Shopping Centre in a candy-apple-red Angry Bird with wheels is as bizarre as it sounds.

Heads turned repeatedly during a test-drive of a particularly popular Stuffy Rider, one of 14 colourful motorized stuffed animals pitched as a way to draw more shoppers into malls during an era of online competition.

Since Feb. 21, children and adults have been able to ride through the mall in one of a menagerie of mobile choices. They can be rented for $8 for 10 minutes, plus 50 cents for each additional minute.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.h7rR8Nvj.dpuf

#18 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:15 PM

Saw that in the paper today. They have those in USA malls and have for years. Our Malls are now getting on the bandwagon

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

6e0ef5166198159a82d4783dad61d90c.jpg

I guess it's just this but a newer way.

• Dietrich likes this

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

These things were getting big for a while, they had one a Hillside Mall once.   Not full-time permanent, but at least for a while.

getting_ready_to_ride_the_virtual_simula

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users