Photo

Bird of Paradise Pub | Saanich

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 14 West

14 West
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

I couldn't find an existing thread for this place so please excuse if am starting a duplicate thread.

We've always headed here for the past 4 years or so after soccer practice primarily because they had $3 (used to be even less) bird beers and cheap wings on Tuesday and Thursday night. Nothing special, but it is nice to walk out of there after two beers and wings and pay only about $12. It's always been up and down, but lately the downward slide has been more permanent.

Anyways, we rolled up tonight to find the lights off and a sign in the door saying, "Closed for spring cleaning April 5 - 16".

It's really a shame, as this place could be so much more than it is and it is in a really convenient location at the cross roads of a few major routes.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

Agreed. Our previous office was literally a few buildings over and we seldom dropped in. On a hot summers day when the windows were opened up in the solarium the place became unlike anything else in the city.

I wonder if the regulars keeps the place ticking and with a lack of immediate competition the drive to make changes and appeal to a wider audience just isn't there?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

We went there for the first time in years and sat down and was immediately unimpressed with the dated menu. In fact, the whole place seemed drearily stuck in 1992. We left and went to the Smuggler's Cove in Cordova Bay.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

So is the "Spring cleaning" code for "We served something to someone we shouldn't have" or are they actually doing some cleaning or updates?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:34 AM

So is the "Spring cleaning" code for "We served something to someone we shouldn't have" or are they actually doing some cleaning or updates?

Yes, that's always the type of code.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

On facebook this morning a friend posted the Health Inspection Report from March. I can see why they are closed for 'cleaning'.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

On facebook this morning a friend posted the Health Inspection Report from March. I can see why they are closed for 'cleaning'.

Unless they have access to an area the public doesn't, there are NO REPORTS available since January, when the kitchen was closed by the inspector for having "no hot water available at any taps". It was subsequently fixed.

Online liquor reports are only available to July 2012.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

Unless they have access to an area the public doesn't, there are NO REPORTS available since January, when the kitchen was closed by the inspector for having "no hot water available at any taps". It was subsequently fixed.

Online liquor reports are only available to July 2012.

March of 2013 is there...
http://www.healthspace.ca/viha Click on "Food Facility Inspections"Search Bird of Paradise.... Both Bar and Restaurant. Does not look super critical after follow up

#9 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

Are you able to post that here?

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

March of 2013 is there...
http://www.healthspace.ca/viha Click on "Food Facility Inspections"Search Bird of Paradise.... Both Bar and Restaurant. Does not look super critical after follow up

Ah, my mistake, the kitchen was on the next page. To me the critical ones are the simple ones, that ALL KITCHEN STAFF SHOULD KNOW, and that don't require the owner to spend money. Like the storage of meat next to lettuce etc. EVERYONE that works in a kitchen should know that meat stays below ready-to-eat food, so it can't get dripped on. One of the follow-ups says they want proof of foodsafe from everyone including the owner.

#11 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

I always liked the location and the building, but the menu and food was just so-so. We've been a few times.. Would go back, but it's not super high priority.

#12 14 West

14 West
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

On facebook this morning a friend posted the Health Inspection Report from March.

Haha, I think I might have been the original one to post that after I started this thread.

Small world.

Still it's a shame - I mean we discovered this all because we were there to get a beer, like we do dozens and dozens of times a year, only it was closed this time.

After a practice in the pissing rain in November, it's about the only Pub I am going to grab a beer at afterwards mostly due to the ability to sit by a fire and warm up and dry up a bit. But it's tough to do that if it is closed for "cleaning." Maybe things turn around or it gets sold.

#13 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

this is on Craigslist today.....

Cooks Wanted (Bird of Pardise Pub)

The Bird of Paradise pub just underwent spring cleaning and we are looking for some new faces in the kitchen, preference will be given to those seeking F/T and/or Day shifts, must be capable of handling a rush solo or with a dish washer present to help, experience cooking eggs is an asset.
  • Compensation: TBD
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Phone calls about this job are ok.
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
Posting ID: 3756295881
Posted: 2013-04-20, 4:25PM PDT
email to a friend

So does this mean the dishwasher will help with the cooking
Was the last cook not able to cook eggs

#14 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

The Bird is open again.

#15 Wally

Wally
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:20 AM

The Bird is open again.

Should have stayed closed. Went there on the weekend and it was really sad. They had a couple of really junior servers and it looked like one person in the kitchen. If you wanted a drink you had to go to the bar to get it yourself.

#16 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:44 AM

What were the servers serving if they only have walk up bar service there?
Ive been to a number of bars were it is self serve I dont mind if its a tiny place like This place,

#17 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

Found this today on Craigslist

6ps3g-3781657615@job.craigslist.org [?] flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of Posted: 2013-05-03, 2:01AM PDT
RE: Birds of Paradise

Do NOT apply in this company coz there ****ing boss is a ********. He is requiring us tp work, paying and issuing a cheque with no funds. So very embarassing. That ****ing ******** boss with no balls!!!! He terminate all his employee coz he doesnt want them to pay. Owing them such a huge amount of money!
  • Compensation: Beware!
  • This is a part-time job.
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Please, no phone calls about this job!
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
Posting ID: 3781657615
Posted: 2013-05-03, 2:01AM PDT
email to a friend

#18 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

I was there yesterday at 4:30, it was a ghost town. I have now changed my route home and stopping at the Monkey Tree. Hard to find a seat.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:28 AM

Will this article hurt, or help his cause?

http://www.timescolo...-wages-1.313693

Trouble in Paradise as Saanich pub owes staff $80,000 in wages

Former Bird of Paradise workers are wondering if they will ever get paid, as the pub’s owner says he is financially strapped and owes about 15 staffers a total of $80,000 in back wages.

Three former workers — two Filipinos who arrived here on temporary foreign worker permits and another from the U.S. — say they are owed a total of more than $23,000.

They had hoped for full payment while still working at the 22-year-old Sante Fe-themed pub on Glanford Avenue in Saanich. “We were giving [the owner] a chance,” said Allan Concepcion, who said he is owed $7,084.

Bird of Paradise owner Diego Trozzo said he is trying to keep the business, which remains open, afloat and to pay what’s owed. “It is my biggest desire to get them all paid off.” He said all current workers have been fully paid.

#20 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

It's actually called The Bird of Paradise - not Birds of Paradise.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users