Luxton Rodeo and Midway

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

This is one of the bigger events in Langford drawing thousands. Had a look at the grounds yesterday and the Midway/Carnival is big for this area.

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

HB.....get down from there....you're gonna fall one day. :)

#3 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

cool pix bro

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

So that's what the ferris wheel looks like, from above the ferris wheel.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

Lots of good ol' folks at the Rodeo today. It was quite nice actually. Tons of very respectful people. We sat on the beer side of the stands....and when someone came back with a couple of cold ones...the people passed the beer back to where they were sitting....so they wouldn't spill anything.....and they had their hands free in case of a mishap.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

Hmmmm, I wonder if there will be full-on protesters outside this year's event.  I think it's coming to that.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

Protesting what, exactly?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

The rodeo.

I remember a radio show a couple weeks back where a small business owner was being targeted by protesters for sponsoring the rodeo via advertising. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

Hmmmm, I wonder if there will be full-on protesters outside this year's event.  I think it's coming to that.

1922415_696423583711669_997325817_n.jpg

Oh, there will be:   https://www.facebook...61883954031028/

It does seem odd to me that more people are not against many rodeo events.

• melissa d likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

^It is strange. I could tie a rope around a cat's neck and swing it around downtown and I'd be in jail in minutes and news of my court case would be on the front page of the paper. But the handful of protesters speaking out against rodeo cruelty are seen as a quirky handful of fun-hating bleeding hearts.

• thundergun likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#11 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

They should just get rid of the actual rodeo stuff and let it be a family friendly, non-animal cruelty event with a midway and possibly showing of farm animals - a la the Saanich Fair.

• melissa d likes this

#12 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

I've always thought of a rodeo of a showcase of ranch lifestyle. Much of what is done in a rodeo is still done now on ranches - though less with horses and more with quads these days. Branding still happens on many ranches, along with ear tagging. Horses are still broken in for riding. The only one that seems to be purely for entertainment with no value on a ranch is steer or bull riding.

Still, I imagine many of the protesters are vegan or vegetarian, and would prefer beef, pigs, chicken aren't raised for eating.

#13 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

The only Rodeo event that I can really consider to be cruel is the steer wrestling and roping. They other events are pretty fun and innocuous IMO.

#14 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

The only Rodeo event that I can really consider to be cruel is the steer wrestling and roping. They other events are pretty fun and innocuous IMO.

And those ones are quite realistic, other than the race against time aspect.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

The Calgary Stampede features chuckwagon races, this article says it's pretty cruel and deadly for horses.

#16 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

The Calgary Stampede features chuckwagon races, this article says it's pretty cruel and deadly for horses.

I've watched plenty of chuckwagon races and was a bit surprised when I first heard them referred to as cruel. Dangerous? Fast? Exciting? Yes, yes and yes. Cruel? My guess is that most racers would be heartbroken if they lost a horse.

The intention of chuckwagon or any horse racing certainly is not to harm the horses. Could the races be completed more safely? Probably - but comparing horse racing to bull fighting, where the ultimate goals are to stab an animal with multiple spears causing blood loss and weakening of the animal and then to stab it in the heart with a sword, is a stretch.

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

Chuckwagon racing is a very risky and dangerous sport. Horses die all the time from crashes.

There never will be a day where we can definitively say that a horse is fully aware if the risks and still willing to participate.

Edited by gumgum, 22 April 2014 - 01:25 PM.

• melissa d likes this

#18 melissa d

melissa d
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

We will be there protesting each day. Our goal is to have the most inhumane events removed: calf roping/team roping and steer wrestling. Although ranchers may rope a calf, they don't at high speeds causing injuries and sometimes death. This is unnecessary suffering for entertainment. More info at noluxtonrodeo.com

#19 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:35 AM

I agree with the protests against the targeted events.

If a person on the Dallas rd off-leash area decided to lasso his dog, body slam it, hog tie it and then bend its head back in front of a crowd.....my guess is that he would be arrested and charged with something .

Why is it Ok to do it to a different animal

Edited by History Buff, 12 May 2014 - 06:36 AM.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

What about horse drawn carriages? Don't those animals suffer by pulling tourists around all day in sometimes heavy traffic?

I can see carriages in a park where the animals are not subjected to traffic but here vehicles can so easily spook the horses.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users