Photo
- - - - -

Tom Harris Jeep Chrysler False Advertising??

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

I am in the market right now for a Jeep .
Ive got money burning a hole in my pockets.
Looked at a numer of them in the past days.
I was going to buy used but when I saw this ad in todays Times Colonist in the motoring section I decided to pay them a visit to see about buying the Orange one pictured here.
It has what I want .
A hard Top and big wheels with nice off road type tires.

When I get there I show them the ad in my hand and ask to see it. Instead of seeing it I get a guy rambling on about this and that then he says they dont have any.
I ask which exact model it is and he tells me its a sport B. I ask for a brochure. they dont have any.
the visit just gets more odd from there on in. He gets a guy in an office who I assume to be the sales manager and that guy shows me a similar model which is used.
I show him the ad in his face and say I want the model pictured in the ad.

he then tells me he can order me a 2014 model year and have it delivered.

Then he tells me if I want the one pictured he can get it but it doesnt come with a hard top or the nice wheels and tires.

When I tell him about the add and the picture he tells me that the TC is responsible fo rthe picture and when the dealer posts full page ads like that ..the TC puts what ever picture they want in the paper not necessarily the one the papers customers are selling.

I walked out of there pissed off and confused.

These jerks advertise a car.They have a picture of it

But when I get there they (tell me) what I want something totally different and that if I want the hard top and tires pictures I would have to pay another $3500 over and above the advertised price.

Too bad they did this because now I will need to go spend 20k somewhere else where

Hey Tom Harris if you want to sell cars and be good at it like you claim then try to hire people who listen to their potential customers.

#2 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

Yes that is total BS. If the pic had a small caption claiming it started at that price then they could get away with it.
Looks like blatent false advertising.
But am I surprised? No.

And for them to claim that the TC is responsible for the pic. What a crock.

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

I've had a few ads in the local papers before and I know that retailers will often use the paper's ad guy do the design work.

Bottom center, it says "Vehicles not exactly as shown"

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

Stuff happens, that car has a stock number but it might be anywhere in their system. Who cares.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

Missed that.

Then HB has no case.

#6 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

Future Shop used to do that. Put the correct picture in for goodness sakes. That fine print is BS.

#7 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

Stuff happens, that car has a stock number but it might be anywhere in their system. Who cares.

Don't hand me that excuse please there is only one Harris Jeep Chrysler in Victiria so anywhere in their system would mean anywhere in their lot and it has never been there the whole ad is a joke because their sales people had no idea about it

Who's cares ? I do that's why I wrote it here
I'm the one with the money to spend and infortunately for that dealership they lost a potential and any future sales from me so actually they should care too

Another person who will care is the person who will get my business and my money

Hope that clears up your question of " who cares"?

#8 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

Well if they are listing a stock number that vehicle should be available. It may not be the one pictured however, as they have put the disclaimer in. And you can bet by now, if that stock number vehicle actually had big tires and all the extras you wanted, they would have been swapped out and replaced by cheaper equipment for sale at that price.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#9 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

Although the TC makes mistakes, what likely happened here is that the marketing person at the dealership put in the wrong picture. Stuff happens but they shouldn't have given you the run around. Easy enough to tell you that the jeep is no longer available and leave it at that.

#10 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:20 AM

This Financial Post article refers to a book titled Advertising and Marketing Law in Canada on the subject. http://business.fina...lt-to-pin-down/

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

Yes that is total BS. If the pic had a small caption claiming it started at that price then they could get away with it.
Looks like blatent false advertising.
But am I surprised? No.

And for them to claim that the TC is responsible for the pic. What a crock.

If you look at the fine print right under the bottom of the vehicle photographs you will see the words. "vehicles not exactly as shown"

#12 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

If you look at the fine print right under the bottom of the vehicle photographs you will see the words. "vehicles not exactly as shown"

Try and keep up Bingo! :P

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

Try and keep up Bingo! :P

Thanks gum gum, I didn't go back far enough to see your post. :redface:

#14 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

:)

#15 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

The best way to tilt the scales in your favour is to pay below MSRP. Most average car buyers are out of their depth when dealing with car dealers. I walked away from a deal last month because they insisted on charging nearly $700 in additional documentation and administration fees - which we all know are totally made up.

To determine the difference between dealer invoice and MSRP, use a site called CarCostCanada.com. For a small fee, you can get dependable info on what a dealership is actually paying for a car. You also see what customer incentives there are (they often won't tell you and use that to show you what a deal they can give you off of MSRP). More importantly, it will tell you want factory-to-dealer incentives there are. That's free gravy above and beyond the profit the dealership makes off of you and goes straight into the dealership's pocket.

I counseled a friend to use that site and I tell you, he is not a natural born haggler. But it is amazing how powerful information is. He bought a Nissan Rogue for the price he wanted and not a penny more. And the salesman knew that he had the straight dope on the car.

The other thing to do is go at month end, when salesmen are trying up make quota and quarter end because the dealership is trying to make quota. Also - and I'm sure that you know this - purchasing a Jeep in the summer is a mug's game. They've got you right where they want you. If at all possible, try waiting until November/December.

Finally, there are some free services; however, I've never used them so I'm guessing that you get what you pay for. Check 'em out: http://m.theglobeand...?service=mobile

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

The other thing to do is go at month end, when salesmen are trying up make quota and quarter end because the dealership is trying to make quota. Also - and I'm sure that you know this - purchasing a Jeep in the summer is a mug's game. They've got you right where they want you. If at all possible, try waiting until November/December.

Absolutely! I've been a showroom salesman in lots of jobs, and this is always the case! The salesman, the sales manager, the dealership all are trying to squeak it out.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

This is a perfect example of advertising gone bad. When a tiny, insignificant piece of text that hardly anyone will notice effectively clears the creator of the ad and the company of any wrongdoing and gives them a license to say and promote whatever they want at whatever price they want, something is wrong.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

This is a perfect example of advertising gone bad. When a tiny, insignificant piece of text that hardly anyone will notice effectively clears the creator of the ad and the company of any wrongdoing and gives them a license to say and promote whatever they want at whatever price they want, something is wrong.

To be fair, some of it has to do with archaic advertising deadlines (odd, in this digital world) and also less easy to forgive, lazy salespeople (ie. "oh I don't know if I have a picture, just grab any stock jeep photo and throw it up").

#19 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

Sure, but to me that allows for not having that colour or minor differences in appearance and possibly features. It does not allow for not having ANYTHING close to the picture and refusing to honour the price quoted for a comparable vehicle.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#20 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

Go to Willie Dodge Jeep... they are much better... oh wait..

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users