BUILT
Dominion Rocket Residences
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 700-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Dominion Rocket Residences is a micro-unit rental building in the former Dominion Hotel at Yates and Blanshard... (view full profile)
Learn more about Dominion Rocket Residences on Citified.ca
Photo

Victoria Rocket Residences at the Dominion (Dalton Hotel) | Renovated into rentals in 2015

Rental

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

I'm hearing all the current guests have been asked to clear out by September 30th.

...and then there will be 6-12 months of renovations. That's all I know.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

I'm hearing all the current guests have been asked to clear out by September 30th.

...and then there will be 6-12 months of renovations. That's all I know.

I'm guessing Duncan Morrison doesn't own this place anymore then? (serious question)
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#3 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

to my knowledge, the hotel is owned by a guy from Alberta named Floyd, he also owns two scummy hotels/ bars in the downtown area of Nanaimo,
unless he sold them all in the last year.

#4 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

I'm guessing Duncan Morrison doesn't own this place anymore then? (serious question)

He does live there though....
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

Did he ever actually own the hotel or was it just the extended family...

Either way there is no connection to the Morrison family any longer at all.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

Does he still own/operate the liquor store and/or lease the space for the restaurant in the hotel?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Does he still own/operate the liquor store and/or lease the space for the restaurant in the hotel?

That I am not sure

Did he ever actually own the hotel or was it just the extended family...

Either way there is no connection to the Morrison family any longer at all.

Duncan inherited it from his father a long time ago. Victoria Rocket Limited Partnership own it now. David Fullbrook is the guy behind it and they were were seeking investors earlier this year.

The plan is to turn the hotel into apartments, approx 95 bachelors, 9 1 bedrooms with ground floor retail

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

I forgot, it's the old Dominion. It's so confusing, I want all hotels to revert to their old names: Tally-Ho, Waddling Dog Inn, Olde England Inn etc. I can't remember their new names.

I guess the owners realize the area is a bit too noisy for a hotel. Especially with the nicer Marriott and a soon-to-be-renovated Executive House a short walk from the harbour (or a long trek from the harbour depending on what reviews you read).
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#9 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

The area is too noisy for a hotel but perfect for apartments?

Interesting that this is going to be another new apartment building. Churchill, Era and now the Dominion...that'll be quite a few new residents on this block of Yates.

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

This is another good sign of life for downtown.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

That I am not sure

Duncan inherited it from his father a long time ago. Victoria Rocket Limited Partnership own it now. David Fullbrook is the guy behind it and they were were seeking investors earlier this year.

The plan is to turn the hotel into apartments, approx 95 bachelors, 9 1 bedrooms with ground floor retail

Really? I thought the hotel was from his ex-wife's family.

^^ He has no connection to the current restaurant there as for the liquor store. I have no idea.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

Really? I thought the hotel was from his ex-wife's family.

No, it was his family. When the bar was called Hunter's that was named after his father.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

When the hotel sold to Rocket the restaurant and liquor store were listed for $3.35M. It's not clear if Rocket purchased them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

When the hotel sold to Rocket the restaurant and liquor store were listed for $3.35M. It's not clear if Rocket purchased them.

The pub (it's not a restaurant) is run by a team that has a lease with the landlord. And it has no connection to the liquor store, except maybe the license is somehow tied.

#15 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

This is another good sign of life for downtown.

Absolutely a great sign; however, I wonder if the Era folks are worried as potential buyers may shy away from purchasing across from what will likely be lower rent accommodations.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

Absolutely a great sign; however, I wonder if the Era folks are worried as potential buyers may shy away from purchasing across from what will likely be lower rent accommodations.

I'm sure nobody thinks anything of it. They ought to be more concerned about the bar, sometimes it gets going pretty loud well after 12 or 1am. But nothing compared to, say, the Sticky Wicket.

#17 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

Why would it be low rent? The Churchill, which is also a renovated heritage building across the street from the Era, had starting rents at around $1,000-1,200/month, if I recall correctly. Absolutely no reason why the Dominion apartments would need to be a "low rent" building.

#18 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

How big are the units in that hotel? Most hotel units are quite small, so are they allowed full kitchens in each new rental unit, or are they combining rooms into larger units?

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

How big are the units in that hotel? Most hotel units are quite small, so are they allowed full kitchens in each new rental unit, or are they combining rooms into larger units?

Tripadvisor says it has 94 rooms now.

...and concorde said:

#20 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

I have to wonder then the sq ft of the rooms then.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users