Downtown Victoria Business Association (DVBA) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
461 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

The DVBA will be installing thermal imaging cameras downtown, in order to count and monitor pedestrian activity in various areas.

This new police chief works fast! :wave:

October 15, 2013 10:05 from Ryan Price
The Downtown Victoria Business Association will gather information about how pedestrians move around the city -- by installing thermal imaging cameras.

General Manager of the DVBA Ken Kelly tells C-FAX three thermal cameras will be installed beginning at the end of the month.

http://www.cfax1070....ria-pedestrians
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

The team was already out this morning installing them.

j/k
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

I am being dense, how would these cameras actually manage to collect useful data?

As far as I can tell the cameras will be able to tell how many people are at a given location at a given time, but I do not see how they would track where people are going or how far they are going.

I assume they are using these sort of cameras because the data can be analysed by a computer and not have to be done by people. But what will these data really tell people?

Also, with only three of them in place, that is hardly a lot of data about downtown.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

I am being dense, how would these cameras actually manage to collect useful data?

As far as I can tell the cameras will be able to tell how many people are at a given location at a given time, but I do not see how they would track where people are going or how far they are going.

I assume they are using these sort of cameras because the data can be analysed by a computer and not have to be done by people. But what will these data really tell people?

Also, with only three of them in place, that is hardly a lot of data about downtown.

Yes, I think the software can make all the counts. Three, but they can move them around I guess. I wonder, it's a useful tool, but who needs the data? I'm guessing if I'm looking at opening a store that needs lots of walk-by traffic, I'm going to spend many hours downtown doing my own counts.

I guess there is some use to finding areas with slow traffic, and moving events there. But don't we sort of already know those?

#6 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

Yes, I think the software can make all the counts. Three, but they can move them around I guess. I wonder, it's a useful tool, but who needs the data? I'm guessing if I'm looking at opening a store that needs lots of walk-by traffic, I'm going to spend many hours downtown doing my own counts.

I guess there is some use to finding areas with slow traffic, and moving events there. But don't we sort of already know those?

The Victoria Real Estate Board used to do pedestrian counts downtown until the mid-2000s. It helps with figuring our where pedestrians are, like any other sort of people or vehicle count.

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

Weren't some shopping centers catching flack for tracking people's walking patterns using cell phones?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

I'm guessing if I'm looking at opening a store that needs lots of walk-by traffic, I'm going to spend many hours downtown doing my own counts.

Or sweet talk a merchant and would be neighbour into letting you set your camcorder up somewhere out of reach in their shop to record the coming business day's traffic going by the merchant's window, then retrieve and fast forward at 16x speed, to do a head count. Borderline stalkerish but you could use the low quality image setting to demonstrate you're not peering at 'details', should you be jousting with a Crown Prosecutor.

jbw

ps. 'thermal imaging' yeah, right! it's coming up Halloween so I anticipate there'll be witches and vampires that'll certainly not register on 'thermal imaging' recorders :eek:

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

Weren't some shopping centers catching flack for tracking people's walking patterns using cell phones?

If you are trying to sell your business, you just get your friends to keep going in and out, to show how busy you are.

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

The DVBA will be installing thermal imaging cameras downtown, in order to count and monitor pedestrian activity in various areas.

This new police chief works fast! :wave:

If they get enough cameras into residential areas, they can find some of the grow-ops.

#11 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

Just ask Google or the NSA, they will not only tell you how many people walked by during any given period but who they were!

#12 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

Those cameras are interesting unlimited uses

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:27 AM

Check out this crazy bomb from an unrelated news article:

She plans to keep beating the pro-CBC drum in the run-up to this year’s federal election, though she’s not exactly sure how she’ll go about doing so. “I’m trying to decide how political to be.” Becoming a player instead of an observer is a big jump for a journalist, particularly one whose roots at the CBC go back to 1978 when she was hired as a reporter in New Brunswick.

Roberts didn’t have to do this. She has a comfortable life. Her husband, Downtown Victoria Business Association GM Ken Kelly, is studying for ordination as a Roman Catholic deacon. Their four kids are grown.

So give her credit for putting her money where her mouth is. Instead of taking early retirement to shout about the CBC, Roberts could have stayed on air and talked about something else.

“Financially, this is a really stupid move,” she allows. But it’s not always about the money.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.cyiQrwl2.dpuf

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:37 AM

One of the priests at St Andrews has a wife and family (he was Anglican then switched over and the church was OK with his family situation, which is great) and I'm sure Kelly will be able to handle both rolls if he so chooses.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:47 AM

One of the priests at St Andrews has a wife and family (he was Anglican then switched over and the church was OK with his family situation, which is great) and I'm sure Kelly will be able to handle both rolls if he so chooses.

Oh ya, Ian Powell (GM of Laurel Point) is a priest too.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:03 AM

http://www.timescolo...-june-1.2126834

Downtown booster Ken Kelly to retire in June

Kelly is pursuing a vocation as a deacon in the Catholic Church.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.CJGVJGHM.dpuf

#17 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:58 AM

Interesting 2 key players in downtown business are both getting out of the game at the same time

#18 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:23 AM

Interesting 2 key players in downtown business are both getting out of the game at the same time

Coincidence, or....perhaps moves calculated in anticipation that <shudder> Ben Isn't takes a run at the mayor's chair? Could you just imagine, and then imagine again if he actually won? If nothing else - aside from the likely erection of a statue in homage to his hero Karl Marx, in a prominent downtown location (on top of the Empress Hotel perhaps) - CoV politics would never ever be dull......

• rjag likes this

#19 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:37 PM

My guess is that this is related to Dan Dagg's new economic development agency. Looks like Victoria will be redirecting its marketing funds away from the Chamber and GVDA to Dan.

There have been power struggles for years between various downtown business groups.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:45 PM

My guess is that this is related to Dan Dagg's new economic development agency. Looks like Victoria will be redirecting its marketing funds away from the Chamber and GVDA to Dan.

There have been power struggles for years between various downtown business groups.

Well, the DVBA just got another 5-year renewal.  And its budget comes from a tax levy that's set.

I don't know about power struggles.  I find that a very small core of downtown businesses are involved with the DVBA, the other 97% couldn't care less about it.  It's amazing how few people show up when the DVBA wants to talk about important issues.  When they called for meetings on parking - which is the #1 concern of most Victorians with downtown - they cancelled the meetings due to lack of interest.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users