#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

So this new service starts soon here...  http://entouragetransport.com/

...and a discussion on their page lead me to this service, that's very cool:

https://www.uber.com/

How about that, real-time tracking of your ride on its way, no cash needed.  That's what's wrong with regulated taxis and rates, they can't afford to upgrade technology... or their customer service skills.

Look what happened when Uber tried to open in Vancouver:  http://www.straight....portation-board

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

I signed up with Uber the last time I went to Seattle. Got the app for my phone and gave them my AMX card. Absolutely fantastic. I didn't need to know where I was. The only time there was a glitch was when I touched the app when I was half way through a beer in a bar. The next thing I knew the car was outside the door, a text message told me my ride was there.......I had to leave a half a beer behind.

Tip and ride was billed to my card. Wonderful service and no more expensive than a taxi.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

Interesting that the regulators here set a maximum cab fare (or set the cab fare absolutely, fixed rate) then they go and set a minimum for limos, at $75 per trip.  Odd way to regulate.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

These must be the same regulators that keep transit busses away from airports. Our governments need to focus on incinerating sewage sludge instead. How did we let this happen? Oh, I know, it started by telling farmers how many eggs they are allowed to sell. We need a stupid government decisions thread.

#5 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:48 PM

Uber was absolutely awesome in seattle, so much cheaper and nicer than a cab too.  I'd love to see Uber here.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

We need a stupid government decisions thread.

We have one :)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:46 AM

I just found out Victoria Taxi has a mobile app, and from what I see it's pretty good.  We called a cab on Friday and watched it make its way to our location in real time.

http://victoriataxi.com/smart-hail/

https://itunes.apple...77965?ls=1&mt=8

Book a reservation in as few as 3 clicks
•Get a fare estimate by entering both pickup and destination addresses
•Receive a confirmation number for your reservation immediately on booking
•Receive notifications including vehicle number once your reservation has been dispatched
Monitor the progress of your vehicle on a map
•Create a list of favorite addresses and assign a custom name for each
•Select an address from your list of telephone contacts
•Specify the number of passengers, vehicle type and preferred payment method
•Review all reservations you have made over the past 30 days
•Provide feedback related to the application and/or service you received
•Call Victoria and Westwind Taxi with the push of a button

To begin using the Victoria Taxi Smart Hail application today:

•Download the free app
•Create an account (Email, Name, Phone # and Password)
•Validate your account (via the confirmation email you receive)
•Login to the app (Email & Password)
•Enter your pickup address
•Enter your destination address (this allows us to provide an estimated fare amount)
•Book your trip (reservations can be immediate or for a future time/date)

#8 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

Funny. I just ordered a cab for Tuesday morning for the first time ever, using this app. Will see how it goes!

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

Bluebird now has a real-time hail and tracking app.

• Nparker likes this

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,454 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

I much prefer The Weather Network for the hail and Google tracks you on the Internet anyways.

In all seriousness though, this just makes BC Transit's excuses for not implementing real-time tracking even more unreasonable. And heck, even BCT's website lacks a mobile skin. For God's sake if this was 2002 I could understand but...

• sebberry and thundergun like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

Perhaps if BC Transit spent less on their apologist/mouthpiece Meribeth Burton and more on technology they might have a product that better suited their customers' needs.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:21 AM

Esq. Taxi has this new taxi/tour bus.

10301045_589783101138334_607204865635358

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,454 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:09 AM

Those single rear wheel (on each side) vans are considered the most dangerous vehicles on the road. Don't ride on one of those unless you absolutely have to. Some operators are installing dually axles in an effort to make them safer.

I can't believe despite the accidents tour operators turn a blind eye to the safety issues raised by those vehicles.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:12 AM

Those single rear wheel (on each side) vans are considered the most dangerous vehicles on the road. Don't ride on one of those unless you absolutely have to. Some operators are installing dually axles in an effort to make them safer.

I can't believe despite the accidents tour operators turn a blind eye to the safety issues raised by those vehicles.

I'm going to guess that 15-passengers vans have less accidents per mile driven than almost every other type of smaller vehicle. They are usually driven a lot more carefully than the average Honda Accord.

They just get lots of press when they crash, as it's often a group of migrant workers, or children.  Child death stories get good media attention.

http://news.national...vehicle-report/

The much-maligned 15-passenger van — labelled a “death trap” in the wake of several fatal crashes in Canada, including the 2008 Bathurst High School tragedy — is technically as safe as any other large passenger vehicle, according to comparison testing by Transport Canada.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,454 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

What makes them far more stable and far more safe is a dually axle, but that costs more money and manufacturers (and operators) are turning a blind eye because, well, technically, these vans are statistically very safe ...compared to Honda Civics.

Every vehicle is a safe vehicle when it's parked in your driveway, right?

Know it all.

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:06 AM

Don't worry, Mike.  It'll be fine at 40kph.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#17 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:33 PM

So this new service starts soon here...  http://entouragetransport.com/

...and a discussion on their page lead me to this service, that's very cool:

https://www.uber.com/

How about that, real-time tracking of your ride on its way, no cash needed.  That's what's wrong with regulated taxis and rates, they can't afford to upgrade technology... or their customer service skills.

Look what happened when Uber tried to open in Vancouver:  http://www.straight....portation-board

Uber is going to make another attempt to offer service in Vancouver. I have used this service in Seattle and San Francisco. The scare tactics about passenger safety is BS. This company has got it together with nice clean drivers, cars, and awesome service.

http://www.vancouver...9459/story.html

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:59 AM

Uber is going to make another attempt to offer service in Vancouver. I have used this service in Seattle and San Francisco. The scare tactics about passenger safety is BS. This company has got it together with nice clean drivers, cars, and awesome service.

http://www.vancouver...9459/story.html

I'm a bit mixed.  I don't think Uber should be able to just come in and ignore all the rules, but instead of the government sending out undercover agents, they ought to look very carefully at how to make the rules easier for Uber to enter the market.  the existing rules are outdated, and designed to protect a small number of permit-holders.

You can't tell me Uber cars and drivers are less safe than existing taxis and drivers.   When was the last time the government sent out inspectors to see what existing taxi drivers are up to.

#19 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:09 AM

As long as the rules are the same for everyone then I have no issue with competition.

At the moment though the rules are not the same and taxi companies have some legitimate concerns (ie uber drivers doing airport pickups and accessing other sites that taxi drivers pay a fee for exclusivity, insurance and licensing differences, and vehicle inspections.

The irony of all this is that if you reader uber/lyft driver blogs, the services have saturated the markets so badly that most drivers eek out a sub minimum wage living without even counting depreciation and maintenance on their cars. Seems like a lot of anxiety over a service which probably isn't sustainable over the long term anyways.

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:14 AM

The irony of all this is that if you reader uber/lyft driver blogs, the services have saturated the markets so badly that most drivers eek out a sub minimum wage living without even counting depreciation and maintenance on their cars. Seems like a lot of anxiety over a service which probably isn't sustainable over the long term anyways.

Yes, interesting, and probably true for sure.  Maybe Uber still has a place, to augment taxis on New Years or weekend nights, when cabs are more scarce.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users