[James Bay] Victoria Skyride gondola | Cancelled in 2013

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

Hey has anyone heard about the plans to run a gondola from Ogden Point to the Inner Harbour? They have an open house on December 11 and will be appearing before the James Bay Neighbourhood Association meeting that evening. http://www.victoriaskyride.com/

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#2 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

^Wow, though it seems electric trolleys would be a lot cheaper...  Views not as good?

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

I would heartily endorse that gondola just because it is such a crazy screwball idea. Victoria's become too safe and predictable.

• leslie64 likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

Who's behind it and who is to finance it?  Very vague website.  Oh, these guys maybe.

http://www.ecosign.com/Team.htm

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

I take Holden's point that it's almost worth supporting because of how bizarre it is. But I think the idea actually sucks. Those huge supports for the gondolas will be up all year round, and be an eyesore, no matter how you look at it. There's no way that the person proposing it is from Victoria. No one from here would ever expect such a plan to actually come to fruition. A bit of chutzpah thrown in for good measure.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#6 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

Yeah the neighbours are going to complain even more if they have gondolas staring down into their backyards.

#7 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:48 AM

I would heartily endorse that gondola just because it is such a crazy screwball idea. Victoria's become too safe and predictable.

I like the idea of gondolas paddling around in the harbour, right up the Gorge into Portage Inlet.   :thumbsup:

• tedward likes this

#8 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

Ha! This is never going to happen. Never in a million years.
  • Nparker likes this

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

I'm with you.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

^Of course, you're hoping for a tie-in with your Mt. Tolmie to Mt. Doug zipline. Are you hoping for a partnership? I doubt three companies can compete in the market.

I am told that the Inner Harbour zipline proposal from Ship Point to the Visitor Info Centre has not been cancelled believe it or not.

Edited by Holden West, 30 November 2013 - 10:40 AM.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#11 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

Oh that's good to hear. It was supposed to happen "by the summer" a few years ago now, hadn't heard anything of it since

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

Hey has anyone heard about the plans to run a gondola from Ogden Point to the Inner Harbour? They have an open house on December 11 and will be appearing before the James Bay Neighbourhood Association meeting that evening. http://www.victoriaskyride.com/

The information meeting is one week away, and no MSM is on this story?  Why not?

#13 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

This idea is crazy. But I'd suggest something more like this one: http://gondolaprojec...cable-transit/

Edited by lanforod, 04 December 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#14 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

^I like it but I was thinking something more low-tech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv5RICL4gIs

• Bingo and leslie64 like this

#15 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

This is far too awesome to ever happen in Victoria.  Would be great though.  I really don't see trams ever coming back in Victoria but a few cities have started building systems like this for actual transit use.  Affordable, flexible, and great views.

I'm sure though it will be entirely privately owned and not at all part of the general transit system and cost an arm and a leg.  I'd be much more supportive of this if it ended up being something locals could actually use to get around.

• leslie64 likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#16 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:29 PM

Kinda like a slow, low capacity skytrain.....

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:28 PM

It would nice if it ended near downtown...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#18 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

That's what I was thinking. One of those routes goes only half the distance then everyones got to walk!

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:15 AM

I bet you the point is to deliver cruise ship passengers right at the start of opportunities for them to start spending their money.

• tedward likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 leslie64

leslie64
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

^I like it but I was thinking something more low-tech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv5RICL4gIs

They say the gondola ride would take what 12 or 14 minutes? Your idea is much much faster! Might have to work on landing option though   :-)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users