Walmart Supercentre stores in Victoria and on southern Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
551 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:25 PM

Right on! Saanich's "downtown" already has 24-hour shopping!

http://www.walmart.c... ... oreDetails

OPEN 24 Hours
Starts: December 18, 2006 7:00 AM
Ends: December 24, 2006 6:00 PM
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:41 PM

Yay?

I think they should pick a couple of nights, the week before Christmas and get ton of shops (in downtown) to stay open.. .. I heard about somewhere that they do this.. and it sounded really cool, like 24 hour shopping festival. It could go in time with the solstices. How much fun would that be?!

edit.. ok, I typed too quickly. I didn't mean places like NYC or the megacities that already have a number of services open at all hours, but rather a few times a year - I doubt we have the population to sustain a huge range of permanent 24 hour services.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:26 AM

We definitely should never do a prank like [url=http://www.zug.com/pranks/walmart/:14379]this[/url:14379]. It would be wrong. We should not meet up tomorrow at 4:00 a.m. at the Oak St. McDonald's to plan and execute a prank like that.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:13 PM

:smt046 Funny to read, but requires too much energy.

#5 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:32 PM

No to mention someone has to start working there.

No thanks.

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:27 AM

Pre-empting Wal Mart?

----

VICTORIA, Aug. 31 /CNW/ - Getting ready to go 'Back to Dorm' next week?
In an effort to help university and college students returning to school next
week, the Zellers, Hillside Centre store in Victoria is one of 31 across
Canada that will remain open 24 hours a day starting at 8:00 AM Friday,
August 31 until Sunday, September 2, at 11:59 PM.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#7 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:22 PM

Walmart needs to close 24 hours a day!

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:55 AM

Comparison of total store acreage.

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

#10 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:29 PM

Walmart needs to close 24 hours a day!

Why do you think that?
In chains by Keynes

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:14 AM

Why do you think that?

Briefly, many believe that Wal Mart (and IKEA etc.) have forced costs down through the supply chain in order to get the lowest price possible regardless of quality or ethical/legal concern, giving us merely the illusion of good value.

For example, was that IKEA bookshelf (that sags in the middle) made with illegally harvested wood from the China/Russia border? Who cares? Was that Wal Mart shrimp cocktail ring made from unsustainable Thai fish farms that used so much fake food and antibiotics the water is poisoned and the fishermen are out of work? Who cares? Will that cheap appliance be thrown in the landfill after a year because it stopped working? Who cares?

Critics say the lure of unreasonably low prices has driven out actual "good value" retailers and manufacturers, leaving two options for consumers: cheap, useless crap and high-end luxury. Try buying a stereo or coffee maker and see what I mean.

#12 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:05 AM

^Thank you

#13 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:12 AM

I think big-box stores in general are responsible for the downturn in quality. Wal-Mart may be socially irresponsible but they're only partly to blame for running the little guys out of business.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:13 AM

Briefly, many believe that Wal Mart (and IKEA etc.) have forced costs down through the supply chain in order to get the lowest price possible regardless of quality or ethical/legal concern, giving us merely the illusion of good value.

For example, was that IKEA bookshelf (that sags in the middle) made with illegally harvested wood from the China/Russia border? Who cares? Was that Wal Mart shrimp cocktail ring made from unsustainable Thai fish farms that used so much fake food and antibiotics the water is poisoned and the fishermen are out of work? Who cares? Will that cheap appliance be thrown in the landfill after a year because it stopped working? Who cares?

Critics say the lure of unreasonably low prices has driven out actual "good value" retailers and manufacturers, leaving two options for consumers: cheap, useless crap and high-end luxury. Try buying a stereo or coffee maker and see what I mean.

Other stores/manufacturers etc. ought to get better at explaining why their higher-cost item is a better value. All people understand price, very few know how the parts of a stereo or coffee maker work.

#15 Newlywednotnearlydead

Newlywednotnearlydead
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:59 AM

I have a living room full of IKEA furniture, so I'm getting a kick out of this thread. My IKEA bookshelves are quite sturdy, actually.

Singling out Walmart is stupid, considering it's basically the same as the Real Canadian Superstore, Zellers, etc. These stores are just responding to the marketplace, people obviously want low prices and they aren't doing anything illegal by cutting costs.

In terms of driving out "good-value" retailers, can you name one? The only casualty of Wal-Mart that I can think of is K-Mart Canada, which was exactly like Wal-Mart, except crappier. If your small business is selling general merchandise, you're going to get crushed by the competition, but how is that any different from neighbourhood grocers getting crushed by supermarkets in the 40s and 50s?

In fact, by cutting prices for everyday staple items, consumers actually have more money to spend at specialty retailers.

In terms of wages and benefits, the labor market is competitive and Wal-Mart can't pay much less than their competitors if they want to hire and retain employees. The retail industry has low wages in general, I find it hard to believe that Wal-Mart workers get a significantly worse deal than their counterparts at Zellers or other competitors.

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:48 PM

In fact, by cutting prices for everyday staple items, consumers actually have more money to spend at specialty retailers.

Actually they come into my store expecting big box prices but with high-quality local service and support :rolleyes:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#17 Newlywednotnearlydead

Newlywednotnearlydead
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

Actually they come into my store expecting big box prices but with high-quality local service and support :rolleyes:

Well, undoubtedly there are some assclowns out there, but I would hope that most people understand the tradeoff between a more specialized store and a big-box retailer. I have no problem buying, for example, cheap electronics on sale at Future Shop, but you have to do your due dilligence and know what you want because I'm lied to by a salesperson pretty much every time I'm in there. On the other hand, when I go to a local electronics store for computer parts, the people there are friendly, knowledgable and willing to sell me cheap OEM parts, instead of trying to sell me a Monster Cable.

#18 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:38 PM

Well, undoubtedly there are some assclowns out there, but I would hope that most people understand the tradeoff between a more specialized store and a big-box retailer. I have no problem buying, for example, cheap electronics on sale at Future Shop, but you have to do your due dilligence and know what you want because I'm lied to by a salesperson pretty much every time I'm in there. On the other hand, when I go to a local electronics store for computer parts, the people there are friendly, knowledgable and willing to sell me cheap OEM parts, instead of trying to sell me a Monster Cable.

You'd be surprised how many people I get who will go to Future Shop because a computer part is $10 cheaper. Sometimes I'd rather sell the monster cable. This sort of ties in with the "Are Victorians cheap" thread, many of my customers want the cheapest computer possible, and even then that's not cheap enough.

It's easier to compete when they want something higher end because price becomes less of an issue, but most people want the cheapest we can build.

I'd like to think that we offer other benifits with our product to help offset the price, but because of big box retail customers have this idea that the Future Shop price is the going rate, no matter where they shop. Sadly we have much less power to negotiate prices with our suppliers and from the customer's point of view it looks like we are ripping people off.

I'm about this far *holds thumb and index finger really close* to posting our cost prices with our retail prices so customers can have a little more insight into our pricing.

#19 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

Exactly 100% Agreed. Stay away from Walmart!

#20 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:38 PM

To all those who provide excellent customer support and service, are knowledgeable about your quality products, and generally go above and beyond....have no fear, the WalMart customer is NOT your customer.
Your customer never darkens the doorstep of a WalMart.
Leave the WalMart customers to...WalMart - you don't want them. :P

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users