#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

The Royal Theatre

IMG_9847.jpg

this year...

IMG_9860.jpg

2014 is the 100th anniversary of both the Royal Theatre and the McPherson Playhouse.

Join us in May 2014 for our amazing 8-day Birthday Party of music, dance and theatre.

http://www.rm100.ca/

IMG_9852.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#2 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:53 AM

Does anyone know what was on the Blanshard St. side of the building before the newer wings were built?

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

Heh, I saw that shady character photographing the Royal last night!

i_20603.gif

I wish either the original stained glass canopy or the later neon canopy were restored:

i_01299.gif

i_01490.gif

• Nparker, Bingo and D.L. like this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:24 AM

Just look at that sign, Madoff would have a fit!

victoria-royaltheatre.jpg
  • Nparker and sebberry like this

#5 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:44 AM

That sign is awesome! Bring it back!

#6 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

I remember that ticket window on the right between the other windows. At some point it was removed and restored to the way it is today.

i_20603.gif

#7 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:56 AM

Special thanks to Peter Pollen who bought it and donated it to the city those many years ago, saving it from demolition

#8 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

He bought it with his own money?

#9 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Where is it now?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

Are we talking about the rooftop sign, the removed ticket window, or the whole theatre.

#11 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:26 AM

I knew Peter Pollen bought the Malahat Building to save it (I believe he still owns it), and I know that he was instrumental in the city's acquisition of the Royal Theatre, but I wasn't aware that he had purchased the theatre and gave it to the city.

#12 BlueInk

BlueInk
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

I wasn't aware either that he purchased and donated the building. This page showing the history indicates that he was a 'strong advocate' for saving it and returning it to a performing arts centre. http://www.rm100.ca/page/royal-theatre

#13 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

Welcome to the forum Blueink.

#14 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

yes

I knew Peter Pollen bought the Malahat Building to save it (I believe he still owns it), and I know that he was instrumental in the city's acquisition of the Royal Theatre, but I wasn't aware that he had purchased the theatre and gave it to the city.

and yes, he still owns the Malahat Building

#15 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

Why doesn't the theatre's official record mention that crucial detail? Is it because the purchase is kept secret to preserve Pollen's modesty? Or maybe because the truth is that ownership passed directly from Famous Players to the non-profit society created to run the Royal and MacPherson?

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#16 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

Why doesn't the theatre's official record mention that crucial detail? Is it because the purchase is kept secret to preserve Pollen's modesty? Or maybe because the truth is that ownership passed directly from Famous Players to the non-profit society created to run the Royal and MacPherson?

The CRD now owns the Royal.

The McPherson Foundation was created in the 1960's to run the McPherson Playhouse on behalf of its owner, the City of Victoria. The Foundation was contracted to run the Royal in time. Eventually the society's name was changed to the Royal and McPherson Theatres Society – and it has never owned either building.

#17 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:25 PM

There might be some confusion here....

While Peter Pollen is rightfully credited with saving the Royal Theatre (Famous Players wanted to demolish it), it seems he didn't do so by buying it personally. After Famous Players, it was jointly owned by the municipalities of Oak Bay, Esquimalt, and Saanich. More recently, ownership was taken over by the CRD.

http://www.hallmarks...eter Pollen.pdf

http://focusonline.ca/?q=node/361

On the other hand, Thomas Shanks McPherson gave his theatre (which he built for Pantages originally) to the City of Victoria in his will.

Edited by Benezet, 17 January 2014 - 11:53 PM.

• Arnold and BlueInk like this

#18 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:39 AM

^ That Focus article is a must read. Thanks Benezet.
  • BlueInk likes this

#19 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

it was a long time ago, but someone close to the project told me that Pollen bought and donated it, I might have it wrong.  I've known Peter for many years, but I've never asked him directly to confirm it, there were always other things to talk about

• Benezet likes this

#20 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

it was a long time ago, but someone close to the project told me that Pollen bought and donated it, I might have it wrong.  I've known Peter for many years, but I've never asked him directly to confirm it, there were always other things to talk about

A remarkable accomplishment, either way! Tell him thanks :-)

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users