Hollywood news and related issues

• Please log in to reply
703 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

CDM Marketing, Brenons Social Media and VibrantVictoria are throwing a little party on Sunday, March 2nd, to watch the Oscars, and celebrate  I ❤ Downtown Victoria hitting 25,000 fans.

It's at the Yates St. Taphouse, starting at 4pm.

MORE on Facebook.

You can WIN up to $1000 CASH by picking the winners in 6 categories, HERE.  Good luck!

academy-awards2.jpg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:01 AM

Less than 2 weeks left to enter.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

One day left to enter.  You DO NOT have to be at the party to win, so go ahead and enter.

If you do come, ask for Mike and/or I, we'd be pleased to say hi!

Oh ya, the FIRST 30 people there get a FREE Cineplex Odeon movie pass!

#4 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

I notice that the ballot includes a nominee for best song that is no longer nominated.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

I notice that the ballot includes a nominee for best song that is no longer nominated.

Sure does.  But it was nominated at the time the contest started, so we are not going to change it.  As of now, only 5.1% of our nearly 600 entries have picked it.

#6 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

I won!  :banana:

The bad news is I wasn't there, I was sick, and I bet lots of others had the same picks.

#7 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

Okay, I'm getting really curious now.  How many winners did you have?  You can't still be "collating".   Also, how was your shindig at the Taphouse?  I was hoping to go and meet some fellow VV posters, but alas the lowly virus got the best of me.

I must say I'm kinda on a contest winning streak here as I was just informed that one of my pics for the VCSC Photo Slam contest was chosen a winner.  Belfry tickets and coffee beans, woo hoo!  :thumbsup:

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

Okay, I'm getting really curious now.  How many winners did you have?  You can't still be "collating".   Also, how was your shindig at the Taphouse?  I was hoping to go and meet some fellow VV posters, but alas the lowly virus got the best of me.

I must say I'm kinda on a contest winning streak here as I was just informed that one of my pics for the VCSC Photo Slam contest was chosen a winner.  Belfry tickets and coffee beans, woo hoo!  :thumbsup:

25 winners, I'm afraid.  Oh, collating was easy with the software we used, we knew as soon as best picture was awarded.  But we have a $10 cheque for you!  Check your spam/junk as you should have got our email yesterday, but I see it says only 6 people opened it.  If you don't see one, PM me here and I'll arrange to get you your winnings!

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:11 AM

Oscar nominations 2016

http://www.vox.com/2...-academy-awards

Best Picture

• The Big Short
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Brooklyn
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • The Martian
  • The Revenant
  • Room
  • Spotlight
Actor

• Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
  • Matt Damon, The Martian
  • Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
  • Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
  • Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl
Actress

• Cate Blanchett, Carol
  • Brie Larson, Room
  • Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
  • Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
  • Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

Directing

• Adam McKay, The Big Short
  • George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Alejandro G. Inarritu, The Revenant
  • Lenny Abrahamson, Room
  • Tom McCarthy, Spotlight
Supporting Actor

• Christian Bale, The Big Short
  • Tom Hardy, The Revenant
  • Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
  • Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
  • Sylvester Stallone, Creed

Supporting Actress

• Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
  • Rooney Mara, Carol
  • Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
  • Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
  • Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

#10 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:13 AM

Only one I feel safe to predict. Best Actor - Leo.

#11 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:16 AM

Last week I learned how to say Saoirse.  It's Sur-She.  Doesn't make any sense to me but it's how you say it.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:19 AM

I feel safe to say... 

... will not win.

• Jill, lanforod and nagel like this

#13 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:32 AM

Last week I learned how to say Saoirse.  It's Sur-She.  Doesn't make any sense to me but it's how you say it.

I knew a Saoirse. She pronounced it Sur-Shuh.

#14 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:38 PM

I feel safe to say... 

... will not win.

Not for Best Picture, but it did get 8 Oscar nominations.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

Yates Taphouse will do a party again.

https://www.facebook...on_history=null

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

La La Land just raked in a fist-full of Golden Globes including best picture (comedy or musical), actress and actor.  It's 93% and 89% on RT.  It gets no higher.

Go see it everyone, it's great.

#17 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:32 PM

Harvey Weinstein -- who more than anyone defined and shaped the sharp-elbowed art of Oscar campaigning -- has been expelled from the group that presents the Academy Awards. http://money.cnn.com...demy/index.html

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

This is a long read, but is pretty comprehensive and has new items on Weinstein.

Violence. Threats. Begging. Harvey Weinstein’s 30-year pattern of abuse in Hollywood.

#19 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

I don't understand the need for so many people to pile on to Weinstein. The guy is already finished.

I have had a few occasions over the years where I have had to report someone who has been abusive or dangerous to either themselves and/or others and I have never felt any joy in doing so or the need to take credit for it. In fact, I usually felt really badly for having to take action because the impact often extended beyond the culprit to their friends, family and other innocent people. 

• sebberry likes this

#20 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:11 PM

I don't understand the need for so many people to pile on to Weinstein. The guy is already finished.

I usually felt really badly for having to take action because the impact often extended beyond the culprit to their friends, family and other innocent people. 

WHAT?  What about the victims friends, family and other innocent people. The more people to pile on him the better, to make sure he can't get up.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users