Saanich Greener Garbage collection

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

Carts are scheduled for delivery January and February 2014

Starting January 2, 2014 through February 2014, garbage and organics recycling carts will be delivered to households.

Please store your new carts until the program begins with your first scheduled collection pick up in April 2014 as some of our current garbage collection trucks are not equipped to manage the new carts.

The carts will be clearly marked belonging to the District of Saanich and registered to each property address by serial number and electronic tag.

more;  http://www.saanich.c...ml?ref=shortURL

IMG_0310.jpg

#2 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

Any reason I can't use it as a normal garbage bin before the retrofitted trucks are in use? Are they too big/heavy for them to dump manually?

#3 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

I find it odd that they delivered the bins so far in advance of the start of the service.  I got mine January 1st

#4 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

On New Years Day? That's a waste of taxpayer money delivering those on a stat!

#5 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

They are freaking heavy - so yes, I presume they are too heavy (especially once loaded) for WCB to cover the workers :)

As an aside, Saanich has a GREAT service via their web site - where you can sign up for reminder emails for your garbage collection day... (or download a calendar you can import into your app of choice). Wish the CRD offered that service for recycling too!

#6 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:03 AM

They are freaking heavy - so yes, I presume they are too heavy (especially once loaded) for WCB to cover the workers :)

As an aside, Saanich has a GREAT service via their web site - where you can sign up for reminder emails for your garbage collection day... (or download a calendar you can import into your app of choice). Wish the CRD offered that service for recycling too!

My garbage days aligned up with recycling days starting this year, so the reminders work for both now. I certainly found it odd that I had separate days for those previously. Why can't they collaborate the schedules, seems to me there is no reason for different schedules. Thankfully, at least for my area in Royal Oak, they have now (though not for all of Saanich as yet it seems, as I still see plenty of recycling only out).

#7 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

I got my bins last week. Noticed this morning that the gray/black bin is marked as 'recyclables' such as newspapers, plastic containers etc.

The green one is marked for organic recyclables.

Seems like a mistake, as my understanding is that the gray bin is for garbage, and the CRD recyclables continue to go in the blue bins. Can anyone else in Saanich confirm?

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

The grey bin is for garbage and you'll continue to use the blue bins for recycling.

http://saanich.ca/se...collection.html

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

Yes, that was my understanding, but the grey bin is specifically marked differently.

#10 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

Ah yes, the "greener" garbage collection service. In the name of the environment we will now be throwing out 100,000 of the old garbage bins that will be of no particular use. The polar bears will thank us for being so considerate.
Now that they have offloaded the positioning of the bins by the curb to each resident, I will expect increases in the efficiency of pickup resulting in savings.. Right?

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

I wonder how Saanich will handle their collections at the parks in the summer?

Do you think they will hire someone to sort through this mess and pick out the dog poop bags?

Gyro Park in Cadboro Bay

IMG_6224.jpg

#12 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

Yes, that was my understanding, but the grey bin is specifically marked differently.

I contacted the Greener Garbage program. Turned out I got a mislabelled lid, manufacturer's mistake. They're going to swap it... lovely.

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

The eating habits of raccoons and bears were among the considerations for Saanich, as a new waste collection program rolls out this spring.

While the green organic collection bins have a clamp to keep the lid closed tight, the black garbage carts do not.

Saanich says the bins should hold off any animal approaches, even if a smelly, fishy piece of aluminum foil makes its way into the trash.

“They’re wind-tested and it takes a fairly large animal to knock them over; a raccoon can’t knock them over,” Dave McAra, Saanich’s manager of solid waste services, said of the new bins’ sturdiness. “For them to open the lid, it’s almost impossible.”

http://www.vicnews.c.../245998991.html

You mean those skimpy bins will hold off a bear?  

Yeah right...check out this video.  http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pgaTAJrCubo

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

I wonder when we'll be doing this:

http://www.dailymail...containers.html

article-1321374-0BA81217000005DC-986_634

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#15 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

But the garbage bin lid doesn't even lock like the compost one does. The raccoons managed to wrench off the old Rubbermaid locking bin lids, these new cans are no contest. And our lid doesn't even fit properly! It's warped and doesn't quite shut.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

Pictures, folks, pictures!

I think what you meant to say was, in 2005 I wondered when we would be doing this. ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

But the garbage bin lid doesn't even lock like the compost one does. The raccoons managed to wrench off the old Rubbermaid locking bin lids, these new cans are no contest.

Given that you are not allowed to put any food waste into the garbage the raccoons should not be interested in it. Your garbage will only contain non-recycleable plastic and other non-organic waste.

And our lid doesn't even fit properly! It's warped and doesn't quite shut.

From http://www.saanich.c...collection.html

"New Delivered Garbage Cart Lids Not Closing Properly
Please be aware that if the lid on your new wheeled garbage cart does not close properly, it will over time as the outside temperature warms up. The reason for this condition is due to the carts being shipped with the lids already attached while stacked along with being shipped and stored in cooler temperatures. The lids should regain their shape and close properly with time and as the temperature warms. If the lid has not regained its shape and close properly by the beginning of the program in April, please contact us at 250-475-5533 or email greenergarbage@saanich.ca."
  • Holden West likes this

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

There were no such problems with Victoria's bins and both the black and green bins have tight closing latches.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

Me? Never!

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#20 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

The garbage bins will have dirty diapers, used tampons and pads, etc. If that doesn't intrigue the animals, I don't know what will!

• Holden West likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users