Photo

Victoria Conference Centre

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 mikedw

mikedw
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

Have any of you had any experiences with booking space at the Victoria Conference Centre? I'm curious about any anecdotes you may have to share.

Web developer & Internet Marketer

https://web321.co

#2 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

My partner rents the space each year for an xmas party... what do you want / need to know?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:32 AM

Events I have been to there have been quite nice. The conference center itself is a nice facility, and I have had some excellent meals (from the Empress I assume).

#4 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:33 AM

Events I have been to there have been quite nice. The conference center itself is a nice facility, and I have had some excellent meals (from the Empress I assume).

Ditto.

#5 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

I know that it costs taxpayers $500K a year to fund the conference center deficit so perhaps you will help offset some of that!

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

Via VV member "Greg".

http://us4.campaign-...3d&e=49f0004a6b

Any one heard anything about this?:

"Dr. Graeme Macaloney, has proposed leasing Crystal Garden from the City as the site for a new Scotch Whiskey distillery, complete with restaurant, tasting room, etc. Some zoning changes would be required, such as change of use. If the Crystal Gardens site is ultimately chosen, the DRA board has agreed to work with the developer and the City to expedite the CALUC process."

• Mr Cook Street likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

Sounds like quite a grand plan.  Is the space out to tender though?  We aren't just entertaining one bidder just because they approached are we?  That's not the way to do it.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,175 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:27 AM

And I guess this would put a damper on Roundhouse trying to attract a distillery.

Scotch comes from only a certain part of Scotland, so they mean whiskey only right?

Anyways that sounds awesome. And I'll be glad to finally offshed the cost we pay to maintain the darned place.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

Hard to make Scotch here. I think we may be at the end of this distillery trend. I mean people will always drink good beer and wine but 95% of the population likes spirits mixed with something and does not want to taste 5 whiskeys straight.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#10 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,236 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

We can have more than one distillery! This sounds like a great usage for this building on so many levels! Maintains it as a public space, creates an export product manufacturing biz and a great tourism spot. Might help to introduce tourists to the many alchaholic products that our little region produces.
  • Mr Cook Street likes this

#11 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

I would love to see the bill for seismically upgrading the CG which almost all rezoning and major construction projects on existing buildings trigger in our fair city.

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,175 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

Sounds like quite a grand plan.  Is the space out to tender though?  We aren't just entertaining one bidder just because they approached are we?  That's not the way to do it.

Name one thing. ONE THING that the City has done that was business-minded and pragmatic.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

Name one thing. ONE THING that the City has done that was business-minded and pragmatic.

They brought in the portable sign bylaw and fees.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,175 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

[inside joke only VHF will get]

...and yet they can't move forward on a complaint unless you specify the postal code of the infringing business.

[/inside joke only VHF will get]

Know it all.

#15 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

You can't make scotch in Canada, literally. The definition of scotch is a whisky made in a specific manner, made in SCOTLAND.

#16 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,236 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

Are they using the term Scotch? I would assume they would just call it small batch whiskey or something along those lines....

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,175 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

Greg's blurb that he posted off the DRA site referred to it as Scotch whiskey, but maybe there's confusion there on their part. Scotch is like champagne, it's specific to a certain region.

Know it all.

#18 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

Greg's blurb that he posted off the DRA site referred to it as Scotch whiskey, but maybe there's confusion there on their part. Scotch is like champagne, it's specific to a certain region.

Scotland, not a specific region of Scotland.

And honestly, it's pretty weird for someone opening a WHISKEY DISTILLERY to misidentify their product as 'Scotch.' You want the people running a distillery to know enough about whiskey to know when something is or isn't Scotch...

Edited by ZGsta, 07 August 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#19 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

Though on second glance that probably is just a screw up on the DRA site. The distillery web site doesn't mislabel anything it appears.

#20 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

This could be a really nice addition to downtown. Something for locals and tourists. Good use of an underutilized space.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users