CFB Esquimalt / navy news

• Please log in to reply
945 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

Cfax1070 is reporting this morning that HMCS Protecteur has suffered an engine-room fire and several crew members have minor injuries. It's currently near Hawaii, and will return under limited power to Pearl Harbour for repairs.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 kitty

kitty
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

Glad there were no serious injuries! :)

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

Welcome Kitty!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

An aircarft carrier is visitng in June.  Don't know which/when.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

The Nimitz is arriving either today or tomorrow.

ussnimitz.jpg

#6 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

will be interesting to see size comparison with the cruise ship which will be arriving later

#7 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:41 AM

She is 100,000+ tons and slightly over 300 meters in length which is the standard for the Nimitz-class carriers. Which would have meant she was significantly bigger than the norm for cruise ships however you do need to remember she is now nearly 40 years old - due for retirement in ~ a decade, about 2025 - and the cruise line industry has been building their ships bigger and bigger especially since the launch of the Queen Mary II.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

I wonder when we will see the first nuclear-powered cruise ship.

#9 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

Ha, great question. The first commercial-passenger nuke-powered ship after all was launched nearly 60 years ago (NS/SS Savannah and long since decommissioned of course, in 1972). Along with a couple of Soviet-era icebreakers she was one of maybe 4-5 commercial non-military nuclear vessels ever built.

I suspect though disposing of the waste from retiring cruise ships - how many are there globally??? - would be a massive problem simply not worth contemplating.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

333 meters, to be exact. That's 7 times the height of the CIBC tower.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

Photos of the USS Nimitz's 2014 visit to Victoria.

Nimitz-1.jpg

Nimitz-2.jpg

nimitz-3.jpg

nimitz-4.jpg

nimitz-5.jpg

• beryllium likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 beryllium

beryllium
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

USS Nimitz from Metchosin Road:

14245483697_f27fabb855_z.jpg

Source: my flickr

• Mike K. likes this

#13 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:52 AM

It's kind of funny seeing a ship without a smokestack.

It certainly is an impressive ship. I'd love to see some takeoff and landings off that sucker!

#14 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

It's kind of funny seeing a ship without a smokestack.

It certainly is an impressive ship. I'd love to see some takeoff and landings off that sucker!

Think loud jonny....REAL loud. Got to experience it way back in 1975 when this ship was new, also when working and staying in Pensacola FLA a few years back prior to "Iraq II" when the USS John F Kennedy had her air group practising night take-off and landings in Pensacola Bay. Sounds literally like the hand of God.

#15 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

Think loud jonny....REAL loud. Got to experience it way back in 1975 when this ship was new, also when working and staying in Pensacola FLA a few years back prior to "Iraq II" when the USS John F Kennedy had her air group practising night take-off and landings in Pensacola Bay. Sounds literally like the hand of God.

Yeah, I can imagine. I've seen a couple of air shows, and those fighter jets are extremely loud then. A bunch of those flying around must make quite the racket, especially over water and especially at night!

Reminds me of when I was living down south and heard a sonic boom from the space shuttle...now that was startling! I thought the world was coming to an end for a second there.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

I watched this yesterday, it's very good, sort of the steps leading up to how they got to the Nimitz.  The British lead the way on a couple steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68fML6M1A_Q

#17 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:24 PM

Navy to drop four ships, will need stop-gaps until new vessels are built

Two of the fleet's three destroyers, HMCS Iroquois and Algonquin, and both supply vessels, HMCS Preserver and HMCS Protecteur, have made their last voyages and will be decommissioned, Vice-Admiral Mark Norman said Friday.

Norman, commander of the Royal Canadian Navy, said the retirements have been in the cards for some time, but other developments speeded up the plans.

In addition to general wear and tear from four decades at sea, Algonquin and Protecteur both were involved in serious accidents recently.

Given that they were slated for retirement shortly, there was no point in repairing them.

http://www.winnipegf...-275707581.html

#18 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:33 AM

The Canadian military has emerged as a potential destination for the controversial French-built Mistral-class helicopter carrier ships, built for Russia, the International Business Times is reporting.

The possibility of a Canadian solution appeared in French media after French President François Hollande visited Canada this week, the newspaper reported.

This type of suggestion has surfaced before. Former Conservative Senator Hugh Segal suggested that Canada or NATO should buy the Mistral-class military assault ships rather than allow them to be added to the Russia naval fleet.

http://news.national...class-warships/

Interesting....

#19 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:38 AM

Interesting....

IIRC the RCN had plans to build amphibious assault ships five or so years ago but changed direction in the national shipbuilding procurement strategy (or whatever they are calling it).

A couple of (presumably) well built ships from an ally for a (presumably) good deal might not be so bad.

These Mistral Class ships are pretty big (200m) and would be the largest ships in the fleet.

#20 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:41 AM

IIRC the RCN had plans to build amphibious assault ships five or so years ago but changed direction in the national shipbuilding procurement strategy (or whatever they are calling it).

A couple of (presumably) well built ships from an ally for a (presumably) good deal might not be so bad.

These Mistral Class ships are pretty big (200m) and would be the largest ships in the fleet.

I do like the added feature that they are already built and the price would actually be locked in. Unlike our 25 year shipbuilding strategy. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users