8 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:03 AM

http://www.timescolo...-panel-1.916689

Another sushi place!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

...that will never get built. Oh, wait this is Victoria, where council would actually tie up a piece of land with a on story building.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

Strangely I am in agreement with Ms. Madoff on this. This project does nothing to enhance the densification of the area. If the land is valuable a better proposal will come along. If not, the applicants can either wait and re-propose or sell to someone with a better vision for this site.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

This should not go forward if the City and community want the downtown plan to be taken seriously.

Part of me wants to think this is an attempt to increase the value of the land and propose a much higher asking price when it comes time to negotiate with Townline.
  • Nparker and Jill like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

^That theory makes sense, Mike. What a ridiculous plan. Remember back in "The Well/Radius" days when Waywell Developments was desperately trying to acquire that Douglas strip almost ten years ago? They couldn't buy it and I believe that failure was a major blow that weakened the entire concept financially and design-wise. Madoff deserves credit here for standing firm against mediocre underachievement.

• Mike K. and Jill like this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

Ya, it ought to just be sold and incorporated into the Townline site.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

Isn't 3600 sq.ft. with only 7 parking stalls gonna need some type of major variance?  I don't think I'd open a restaurant of that size, there, with that few stalls.  Arena event nights might be tough.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

Madoff is on the right track here, for sure. The last thing we need is to encourage yet another generation of one storey commercial buildings along the City's busiest and most prominent corridor. Douglas should be more like Broadway in Vancouver but some people want it to remain a glorified King George Boulevard.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

It reminds me of Centro, remember, across from City Hall? They too, couldn't purchase crucial Douglas Street frontages (old CIBC, RBC etc) and the project just didn't make sense without it. Now a new developer and architect have taken all the property and of course, it's a vast improvement.

Poor Praxis. They seem to get dumped on with a lot of projects that are either cancelled (Shelbourne/McKenzie office; Staples Tower lobby) or wildly controversial (Esquimalt Legion Tower; Rock Bay Bus Depot) or both.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users