5815 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:14 AM

Similar to this idea:

http://www.cbc.ca/m/...ntent/1.2654045

Winnipeg's first cannabis lounge touts itself as a safe place to light up and connect with other medical marijuana users for support.

Vapes on Main, in the 1400-block of Main Street, has been open for about two weeks to anyone 18 or older who uses medicinal marijuana.

Steven Stairs has glaucoma and uses medical marijuana to relieve his symptoms. He also served on the University of Manitoba Students’ Union as the Students Living With Disabilities Representative last year.

"I mean, marijuana smokers and medical marijuana users are just the same as anybody else,” said Stairs. “We like to sit around and talk and have a conversation about something just like we would over a Tim Hortons."

vapes-on-main.jpgVapes on Main owner Bill Vandergraaf (left with sunglasses) hangs out with others at the medicinal marijuana lounge on Main Street.(Nelly Gonzalez/CBC)

Stairs hopes the lounge will be a building block toward more such lounges on the prairies.

Owner Bill Vandergraaf, a retired Winnipeg police officer, said he hopes the club will create more awareness about medicinal marijuana use.

He said he got the idea after seeing similar clubs open in Vancouver and Toronto.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

^ Interesting.

http://v-cbc.ca/about/

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,158 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

Will the lounge be operated by the Victoria Cannabis Buyers Club?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

Will the lounge be operated by the Victoria Cannabis Buyers Club?

I don't think so.  It's going to be higher profile than theirs, and not shy about advertising it.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:25 PM

http://www.timescolo...state-1.1076706

Looks pretty straight forward to go to the US and smoke pot very openly soon.

#6 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:01 AM

Hm we will need to respond in kind or we will now have a trade deficit....

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,158 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:43 AM

The City of Victoria is cracking down on improperly licensed marijuana businesses.

While Vancouver is looking at regulating the city's booming marijuana dispensary business, Victoria is considering a crackdown on those flouting its bylaws.

City staff are urging council to direct them to step up enforcement of existing bylaws and business license rules, meaning that marijuana-related businesses that won't comply could be shut down.

A report going to council on Thursday says the number of marijuana-related shops in B.C.'s capital has jumped from four to 18 in the past year, and the majority are operating without a valid business license.

Victoria staff aren't sure how many of the storefront shops are breaking federal laws by actually selling pot, but only seven have business licenses to sell paraphernalia or offer advice and another four are operating even though their license applications were rejected.

Mayor Lisa Helps says she wants to see the city's rules enforced but she also says with so many cities facing the same issues, she wants Ottawa to work with local governments on a different approach.

Full article: http://www.cbc.ca/ne...f-say-1.3061159

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:44 AM

I like how the guy on Johnson says he has not had a business license for 19 years.  wtf?

• todd likes this

#9 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:53 AM

Well... They are at least reducing the number of for lease signs.... They are a good thing if it kills the dealer than it makes it harder for kids to get it and easier for adults. This blossoming industry saved me a lot of suffering after throwing my upper back out. Not sleeping for four days and feeling my guts rotting out from "legal" medications was not good. Once I could get my hands on some brownies high in cbds I slept through the night. In the past it would have been much more difficult to obtain. Shoot my doc wouldn't even give me the good prescription stuff...
  • gumgum and weirdie like this

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:54 AM

Where do these places get the pot from?  That's what I'm missing here.

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:54 AM

Why can't bylaw enforcement simply shut down businesses without valid licenses? They certainly slap stop-work orders on projects with little problem. I don't really care what your business is as long as you follow the local laws and regulations, but any business that flagrantly contravenes local bylaws and opens up shop is simply not fair to those who follow the laws and pay the appropriate licensing fees.

• LocalMom and thundergun like this

#12 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:20 AM

Cbd products don't even get you high... The fact that they are so popular and busy says enough. The population will consume this plant. Let them. This is bringing it into the light and is so much more civilized.
  • Princess Chica and Dr. Barillas like this

#13 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:24 AM

Where do these places get the pot from?  That's what I'm missing here.

There's a big legal grow op in Nanaimo. I'm guessing there are others around.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...naimo-1.3024714

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:35 AM

There's a big legal grow op in Nanaimo. I'm guessing there are others around.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...naimo-1.3024714

But these are issued licenses by Health Canada.  Presumably that means you don't sell the goods to just anyone.  I thought you could only sell to individuals by mail.

#15 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:42 AM

These shops aren't selling to anyone. You need to get a card. It's not that hard to get one at least in Van. You go to the right place at the right time and meet with a naturopath over Skype. They have a full record on you... You can't just walk in off the street and buy Netherlands style...

Edited by dasmo, 05 May 2015 - 09:42 AM.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:43 AM

These shops aren't selling to anyone. 

Selling to anyone, or selling to just anyone?  These places are obviously selling something, they need revenue to pay the rent.

• Nparker likes this

#17 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:44 AM

But these are issued licenses by Health Canada.  Presumably that means you don't sell the goods to just anyone. I thought you could only sell to individuals by mail.

I haven't a clue what the rules are.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:47 AM

The Tilray website shows you how to buy.  It does not say "visit these local retailers to buy in person".

#19 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:48 AM

These shops aren't selling to anyone. You need to get a card. It's not that hard to get one at least in Van. You go to the right place at the right time and meet with a naturopath over Skype. They have a full record on you... You can't just walk in off the street and buy Netherlands style...

A naturopath over Skype?

lol....

Not making any opinion on the medicinal qualities of weed, but a naturopath over Skype? Really??? I hope that's not the way the health care system is going. What about a chiropractor over Facetime? Can they make prescriptions that way too? Could my GP send me a Vine with his therapeutic recommendations?

Edited by jonny, 05 May 2015 - 09:49 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:50 AM

I like the list of medications you can choose from:   https://www.tilray.ca/en/Home/Products

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users