Legato
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 960 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 17
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Legato is an 88-unit, 17-storey condo tower with ground floor commercial space at 960 Yates Street in downtown... (view full profile)
Learn more about Legato on Citified.ca      Official website: legatovictoria.com
Photo

[Downtown] Legato | Condos; commercial | 17-storeys | Complete - built in 2018

• Please log in to reply
664 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

Philip-Nyren-property.gif

Alpha Project Developments, the developers behind Mondrian, Aria and several other recent projects, have purchased the Philip Nyren property on Yates Street across from London Drugs. Preliminary plans call for a 15-storey residential tower, although at this point it is not yet confirmed whether it will be a rental or condo tower. Ground floor retail is a likely component as well.

• weirdie likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

Make it 20 floors (to avoid flat-top syndrome with the building next door) and you have a winner. Perfect location for a tower.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

I doubt we'll see something in excess of what's immediately adjacent. In fact what we might even see is City Hall pushing for something like 12-storeys because Manhattan is 15, and we don't want that tabletop skyline now, do we?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

Alas you are more than likely correct Mike.

#5 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

In a block filled with mostly parking lots and 1 or 2 storey crap I would be happy with anything over 4 storeys.

Mondrian was not a success so I don't see Fred or Bijan rushing this

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

...I would be happy with anything over 4 storeys....

Ahhh...Victoria. "Dare to be mediocre".

• tedward likes this

#7 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

Ahhh...Victoria. "Dare to be mediocre".

Move to Vancouver or Toronto or New York, I hear they have lots of skyscrapers there.  

Be positive that we are getting something better, rather than being negative

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

How is hoping for something taller than a 4-storey building being negative? Try as I might, I just can't figure out why so many Victorians seem to set their expectations so low. It's like the general psyche of the region has an inferiority complex. That to me is being negative.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#9 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

In a block filled with mostly parking lots and 1 or 2 storey crap I would be happy with anything over 4 storeys.

Mondrian was not a success so I don't see Fred or Bijan rushing this

Must be enough of a success to go for another tower?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#10 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:43 PM

How is hoping for something taller than a 4-storey building being negative? Try as I might, I just can't figure out why so many Victorians seem to set their expectations so low. It's like the general psyche of the region has an inferiority complex. That to me is being negative.

This....

#11 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

Well for starters it has to be commercially viable, if twenty storey towers were built everywhere, we would have so much vacant space that nobody would be building anything for years to come.

• jklymak and Mixed365 like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#12 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

Well for starters it has to be commercially viable, if twenty storey towers were built everywhere, we would have so much vacant space that nobody would be building anything for years to come.

Yes but stagger the heights! Would you rather see 3 15 story buildings, or 2 10 story and one 25 story?

#13 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

Staggering the heights is fine but if you can only rent out/sell 4 stories why would you build more?

• Mixed365 likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

Staggering the heights is fine but if you can only rent out/sell 4 stories why would you build more?

Based on what little we know about this project it would seem the developer has at least preliminary hopes of renting/selling a 15 storey building. Based on the neighbourhood, I don't see this as entirely unrealistic. As far as I know the adjacent Manhattan property does OK in terms of occupancy. Perhaps 12 storeys would be best here, but maybe 18 would work as well. Obviously the developer needs to do their homework to build the most salable project, but from an aesthetic perspective something to break up the monotony of downtown's tabletop skyline would be nice.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

Enough demand exists to move on a 15-storey tower, that much is evident. And to be honest the inventory of new homes downtown is drying up. Era is doing well enough, 1075 will be a rental, Union appeals to a specific buyer, Janion is sold out, Mondrian is moving units, and Hudson Mews is also a rental. This doesn't leave much to choose from other than Escher which won't start selling until September.

Know it all.

#16 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

Will the project include one of the neighbouring properties, like where Shatterbox coffee is?

Aerial - https://www.google.c...Canada&t=h&z=20

#17 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Seems to me it isn't super hard to make a tower several floors higher but keep the unit count the same.

#18 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

Must be enough of a success to go for another tower?

I never said Fred or Bijan are broke, far from it.

This will take 18-24 months before they break ground and by then the market may have changed

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

Will the project include one of the neighbouring properties, like where Shatterbox coffee is?

Aerial - https://www.google.c...Canada&t=h&z=20

I don't think so. It was only the Philip Nyren property that was for sale.

Know it all.

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

I would vote for 12 or 16/17 on this site. Just not 15 with the Manhattan right there. Please god no more 14/15 storey buildings for 3 years.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users