2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

Justin Trudeau confirms the Liberals have set their sights on winning a majority in next year's federal election.

The Liberal leader suggests a minority wouldn't do because Canadians want a strong, stable government with representation from every part of the country.

The Liberal party, which currently has just 37 MPs, would have to win at least 170 seats to hold a bare majority in the House of Commons, which will have 338 seats after the 2015 vote.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.c...3#ixzz3Az0ohHLt

Cocky, if nothing else.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

In other news, tomorrow is still Thursday and we're expecting weather.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

Don't most parties have plans to win a majority government?

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:33 AM

Perhaps not all...

• Marijuana Party

• Rhinoceros Party

• Sex Party

• Work Less Party

• Natural Law Party

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

JT is in Victoria today, BTW.  Private event.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

It will be interesting to see how Jody Emery's campaign will affect the liberals. I see it as a detriment. The libs are quietly leaning toward decriminalization, but the last thing they want is to be associated with a semi-radical group.

Edited by gumgum, 21 August 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

It will be interesting to see how Jody Emery's campaign will affect the liberals. I see it as a detriment. The libs are quietly leaning toward decriminalization, but the last thing they want is to be associated with a semi-radical group.

Harper will turn in on its ear.  He'll tell Canadians that while the Libs are trying to make this election about legalizing pot, the Conservatives are most interested in jobs, safety, healthcare etc. etc.

If I'm Harper's speech-writer.. "this Conservative government, for the most part, has no issues with what ordinary Canadians do in their own homes, and we have no interest in allocating additional resources to police marijuana use by adult Canadians.  But this government is fundamenatlly opposed to any actions that will make pot more readily available to our vulnerable children, and I think most Canadians will agree with that position.  Mr. Trudeau just wants to talk about pot.  And that's fine for the Liberals.  But we want to talk about jobs, a strong economy, a secure future for our seniors and the safety of all Canadians in this difficult and sometimes dangerous world.  That's what we want to talk about, we'll leave the discussions about pot to Mr. Mulcair and Mr. Trudeau."

#8 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

I'd say the Liberals are actually openly advocating legalization, not decriminalization. That's why Emery is so keen to support the Liberals.

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

^I think the Libs are still testing the waters on that one. I don't think they really know what to do. I think if they were smart they should embrace it. Go for it. We know 2/3rd of Canadians are pro decriminalization. The Libs would could even win loudly declaring legalization.

The Cons are scared regarding this point. That's why they're now talking about ticketing. It's all a ploy to take the wind out of the the Libs sails.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

^I think the Libs are still testing the waters on that one. I don't think they really know what to do. I think if they were smart they should embrace it. Go for it. We know 2/3rd of Canadians are pro decriminalization. The Libs would could even win loudly declaring legalization.

But your average pot-smoking 40-year old voter, has never been and is not worried about ever being arrested for smoking pot at home, and he has no trouble buying it for personal use.  So it's not a make-or-break election issue.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

I don't think so either. The majority of Canadians simply don't care one way or the other.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

I don't think the Libs are smart to be turning pot into an election issue.

I do, however, wish we would just legalize pot and be done with it. It would kill that underground economy. The government should put huge excise taxes on pot like alcohol and cigarettes (cigarette sales represent some $7B in tax revenue in this country).

Like same sex marriage 10 years ago, the legalization of pot seems like an inevitability so just legislate it and move on.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

I'm not sure if any government wants to put the effort into legislation that'll require so much resources to implement (not that the legal system isn't dealing with a lot of pressure, but recent personal amount regs and a lax approach to personal consumption quantities are helping).

To draft up even the most basic ground rules, get all of the provinces to see eye-to-eye, create regulatory practices, organize quality control/regulations governing it's sale, growing, handling, distribution, etc., and the potential for organized crime to steal legally grown and distributed pot (creating a potential criminality issue) would be a massive undertaking requiring a lot of time and dedication. Meanwhile your average individual on the street simply doesn't care one way or the other whether it's legalized or not.

Know it all.

#14 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

But your average pot-smoking 40-year old voter, has never been and is not worried about ever being arrested for smoking pot at home, and he has no trouble buying it for personal use.  So it's not a make-or-break election issue.

Exactly. If the libs make this their platform they are dead in the water. They are trying to find some way to differentiate themselves from the cons and are going to trot out various "ideas" to see what will resonate.

They would get a lot of people agreeing with them on pot, but those won't necessarily turn into votes.

I can hardly wait for all the attack ads from every party trying to denigrate their opponents. :mad:

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

I don't think the Libs are smart to be turning pot into an election issue.

I do, however, wish we would just legalize pot and be done with it. It would kill that underground economy. The government should put huge excise taxes on pot like alcohol and cigarettes (cigarette sales represent some $7B in tax revenue in this country).

Like same sex marriage 10 years ago, the legalization of pot seems like an inevitability so just legislate it and move on.

You just demonstrated why a lot of people would vote pro legalization. You are certainly not alone in your wishes.

• David Bratzer likes this

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

Surely we're not expecting the NDP to sit back and let this be a battle between only two parties, right? Particularly since most habitual pot smokers that I've come across are staunch NDP/left wing supporters.

Know it all.

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

^really? Most I know support the green party.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

Greens tend to swing to the left.

The Green party has made the NDP unelectable. And for that we should all be grateful :)
  • RFS likes this

Know it all.

#19 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

The marijuana legalization issue never gets the nuanced analysis it really deserves. Despite not being a consumer myself, I am fully in favour of the legalization of marijuana and helped write the Federal Liberal legalization policy back in 2011 (Yes, well before Trudeau was leader, it was official LPC policy).

The reasons I support it are simple:

- Takes profits away from organized crime.

- Tax revenue similar to cigarettes can help provide valuable government services.

- Quality control due to health regulations. What the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516 did for beer, we need for pot.

- Economic boost. Look at Colorado where businesses have sprung up. Not just dispensaries, but bakeries, manufacturers, and even a major boom to the security companies for guarding the stores & warehouses as well as transporting product. 

- I'd rather have the police focusing their limited resources on more important things, such as finding this local arsonist in Victoria and protecting the citizens in the downtown core at night rather than busting some young man for having a joint on him.

- And finally the Libertarian argument: I believe it is up to you as a human being to decide if you want to consume a product that is frankly less harmful than alcohol.

For more on the origins of the LPC policy and my personal involvement, check out this article.

Edited by AndrewReeve, 24 August 2014 - 05:33 PM.

• gumgum, sebberry, tedward and 2 others like this

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:39 PM

I don't think the City of Victoria's police spend a great deal of time scoping out pot smokers, but they do spend some resources on reacting to grow-op complaints and following leads that can help arrest the big suppliers. I mean every single day that I walk past Centennial Square I smell pot -- right in the centre of downtown, next to City Hall, and the cops don't even bother.

But the big suppliers can often be tied in with other illegal activities so going after them is not necessarily an expense related solely to the pot trade.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users