#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

54444.png

5444rrr.png

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

Here's the list of participating businesses: Stevenson's Shoe Repar; Street Level Espresso ; Dutch Bakery & Coffee Shop LTD ; Russell Books ;Crust Bakery ; Vancity ; Coastal Community Credit Union Ditch Records & CDs ;Monk Office ; Ocean 98.5 ; Fishhook ; Chorizo & Co. Spanish DelicatessenClassic Silverware ; Starbucks (at Fort & Blanshard) ; Aegean Cafe ; The Good Planet Company ; Oscar and Libby's ; Ali Baba Pizza The Kings Deli ; GooGoo Googles ; Brown's the Florist ; Fort Realty Ltd 

From what I understand, they will be taking over 4 parking stalls... in front of Street Level, Oscar & Libby's, Crust and King's Deli...  Brought to you by Fabulous Fort.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 09:31 PM

IMG_20150620_212744.jpg   The Parklet is back for 2015

Attached Images

• IMG_20150620_212759.jpg
  • IMG_20150620_212750.jpg

Edited by Mr_E_Squirrel, 20 June 2015 - 09:50 PM.

#4 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:45 PM

Now the beggars can sit comfortably, maybe even get you to pay them to move.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:35 PM

I sat there today and it was very pleasant. Not a single person tried to beg anything from me.

• Mr_E_Squirrel likes this

#6 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:38 AM

I love this parklet.  If I wasn't going for Pho last night, I would have gotten takeout and sat and ate it here.  I hope we can get a few more of these throughout downtown.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#7 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:36 AM

They do this in Vancouver too, on Robson. Great idea.

#8 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:38 PM

Seems to be working out great, every time I walk by here there are people using it, generally people buy food from the bakeries then eat there.  The businesses can fit a lot more potential customers using a parking space for seating than they can wasting the space for car parking.  Would love to see more of these, I think Yates would be a good spot for some of these.  Give Ferris' and the reef and other various places space for more outdoor seating.  No need for street parking with the parkade right there.  Victoria really needs more places to eat in the sun.

• Nparker, Jill, thundergun and 1 other like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#9 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:49 PM

Often wondered why Yates doesn't have outdoor cafes and seating. Nice wide sidewalks going to waste. Hernando's tacos would surely taste better sitting outside. Put some life on the street, Victoria!

#10 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:56 PM

Often wondered why Yates doesn't have outdoor cafes and seating. Nice wide sidewalks going to waste. Hernando's tacos would surely taste better sitting outside. Put some life on the street, Victoria!

They would also do better with an actual menu with prices on it, instead of illegible stories in chalk.  My burrito there used to be $9 and now it's $12.  That's too much for a grab-it lunch.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:58 PM

Seems to be working out great, every time I walk by here there are people using it, generally people buy food from the bakeries then eat there.  The businesses can fit a lot more potential customers using a parking space for seating than they can wasting the space for car parking.  Would love to see more of these, I think Yates would be a good spot for some of these.  Give Ferris' and the reef and other various places space for more outdoor seating.  No need for street parking with the parkade right there.  Victoria really needs more places to eat in the sun.

I could go for that on lower Yates.  Parkade right there.

#12 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:09 PM

The other day this guy tried to convince me the parklet was a "stupid idea" and that it was "ridiculous". I will be spending less time with this person.

• lanforod likes this

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:13 PM

The other day this guy tried to convince me the parklet was a "stupid idea" and that it was "ridiculous". I will be spending less time with this person.

The nice thing is the abundance of different designs, such as seen in San Francisco.  It seems to me once you get out of the storefront design limitations, you can be a little more creative on how the space looks.

#14 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:17 PM

what with closing down streets and providing comfortable free places to sit and eat, the current mayor and council may even be able to start regenerating our downtown core with a little imagination and good PR.

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#15 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:22 PM

What if the city offered to lease parking spaces to businesses? Rent the two or three spaces in front of your business for whatever parking revenue that space would make and build your own 'parklet' for your customers.

• Matt R. likes this

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:32 PM

What if the city offered to lease parking spaces to businesses? Rent the two or three spaces in front of your business for whatever parking revenue that space would make and build your own 'parklet' for your customers.

I presume that is how they would plan to work it.  Not sure what the deal is on this current one-year trial.

I think that'll you'll find some businesses all in favour, some less enthusiastic.

#17 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:44 PM

I presume that is how they would plan to work it.  Not sure what the deal is on this current one-year trial.

I think that'll you'll find some businesses all in favour, some less enthusiastic.

Yes. The concept would work great great for a coffee shop or a restaurant. Wouldn't work so well for retail.

#18 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:51 PM

In the city where I live, some restaurants and cafes downtown offer patio seating in the summer by turning the sidewalk into the patio and putting temporary wooden boardwalks for pedestrians in the parking spaces. I suppose they pay something to the city to make up for lost revenue from the parking spaces, but it must be worth their while.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:18 PM

I don't know about you guys, but sitting inches from vehicles zipping by isn't exactly what I aspire to do on my lunch hour, both because of the proximity to massive vehicles and exhaust in your face.

I mean it's a neat gimmick and all but is it really suited for a busy street like Fort? View Street and Broughton maybe, but busy arterials?

• zenbunny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:21 PM

I don't know about you guys, but sitting inches from vehicles zipping by isn't exactly what I aspire to do on my lunch hour, both because of the proximity to massive vehicles and exhaust in your face.

I mean it's a neat gimmick and all but is it really suited for a busy street like Fort? View Street and Broughton maybe, but busy arterials?

Cactus Club outdoor seating isn't far from Fort traffic, and is never empty. Lots of traffic near the outdoor seating at The Local and D'arcys, and watching the cars go by slowly is part of the appeal at that location. So we probably just need to drop the speed limit on Fort and everything will be fine.*

/*joke. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users