Photo

Clover Point

• Please log in to reply
1112 replies to this topic

#1 Don A McJohnald

Don A McJohnald
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:01 PM

Does anyone know if the Parks & Rec Dept has ever explored/proposed some addition landscaping/functional programming for clover point? I'm thinking benches, bike racks, play equipment, etc. If yes, why was the proposal rejected?

It's such a nice space, but it has very little for pedestrians or cyclists. It's currently designed as more of a parking lot and parked car lookout - not ideal for such a nice space in a densely populated neighbourhood.

• LocalMom likes this

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:21 PM

Welcome to VibrantVictoria Don.  

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:30 PM

You know, that's a fantastic question. Why isn't Clover Point more ...of everything?
  • Jill likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:11 PM

I talked to Geoff Young once about this, he believes it should be completely closed to cars, and would like to see a grass roots campaign in this regard.

• Jill likes this

#5 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,230 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:20 PM

I could go with no cars down at the ring and some bike racks but otherwise it's good. One of the best places to fly a kite. It's THE paraglider spot too...

#6 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:26 PM

There is some programming down there: the Shakespeare by the Sea Festival. They are looking to build something more permanent down there. There is also weekend events in the centre of the ring, but I don't know if that is sanctioned or not.

• Don A McJohnald likes this

#7 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:28 AM

I would not call the Clover Point area "densely populated", far from it.  I have been very happy with whats down there.  As I recall they banned cars after a certain time correct?

#8 Don A McJohnald

Don A McJohnald
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:56 AM

Great comments - maybe I'll email Parks & Rec folks. I'll post their response...

Edited by Don A McJohnald, 10 November 2014 - 08:57 AM.

#9 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:50 AM

As I recall they banned cars after a certain time correct?

Like all public parks, people are prohibited from parking late at night.  Makes things like stargazing or watching the meteor shower a little tricky.

I've often thought more could be made of the waterfront between Clover Point and Ogden Point.  It's a great place to walk, but not much else.  Even the pathway is too narrow so cycling and rollerblading are prohibited. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:21 PM

Even the pathway is too narrow so cycling and rollerblading are prohibited. 

West of Clover Point is the planned (but now on hold) protected bike lane/bike path over the sewage pipe west.

#11 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:25 PM

^That will never happen now.

#12 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:43 PM

^That will never happen now.

If a plant doesn't get built at Clover Point, an equivalent sized trench will need to be dug from Clover Point to that plant, so something will happen on that route.

#13 Don A McJohnald

Don A McJohnald
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:35 AM

Update: The city's response:

Thank you for your email regarding the need for pedestrian and cycling improvements at Clover Point. I appreciate you taking the time to write us on this matter. Clover Point is on our list of future projects for improvements, in particular for pedestrians and cyclists, as budgets become available. Kindest regards,

Leigh Sifton

Manager, Parks Planning & Design
Parks, Recreation and Culture, City of Victoria
1 Centennial Square, Victoria BC  V8W 1P6

T 250.361.0624   F 250.361.0615

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:53 AM

That whole area needs more sitting and gathering places, wider paths and spaces for some <gasp> vendors to set up. 

How about some covered areas where families and small groups could set up a picnic. 

• Jill and Don A McJohnald like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#15 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,230 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:55 AM

Just don't ruin the kite flying!
  • Jill likes this

#16 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:28 AM

I know just the thing

Imagine walking along the picturesque Adriatic Sea, treading lightly on a set of white stone steps as a cool breeze rolls past.

Carved into the steps are narrow channels that connect to 35 organ pipes, each tuned to different meticulously arranged musical chords.

As the waves lap against the steps, they push air through the pipes and out whistle-holes in the surface above, making a harmonious and completely random musical arrangement.

https://www.upworthy...beautiful-music
  • Nparker and lanforod like this

#17 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:37 PM

Clover Point is a very heavily used park. It has been a major destination for people in cars since 1956, when the loop road was “hard-surfaced and landscaped as a viewpoint parking area.” Parking for 100 cars was announced at that time. Despite several proposals to remove the roadway and create a safer pedestrian-only area, asphalt continues to cover a large portion of the Point and car traffic is heavy.

The Clover Point project began in 1956 and continued in 1957. Warren reported: “Construction of a road to [Clover] Point with parking for 100 cars was begin in the fall, following the removal of the old rifle butts. A ramp to the beach was constructed on the west side of the point. Completion of the work will be in 1957.” (CRS 108, 12 F 5, file 4, “Report of the Park Administrator, 1956)

In March, 1994, Coun. David McLean said a new walkway would be created on the existing parking area instead. The parking spots would remain, but would be removed further from the curbs. A dividing line would be painted on the road leading into the loop, a 15 km/h sign posted, and a crosswalk painted (see map). The plan was to go to the city’s advisory parks and recreation committee for discussion. McLean argued the parking spaces and road must stay because many seniors would be unable to visit the area without cars. Coun. Young’s plan to rip up the paved loop and replant it with grass was ignored. (Times Colonist, March 17, 1994, B 3)

Geoff Young, reelected to City Council in November, 2005, will try again to create a safer, pedestrian-friendly area on the point. “I absolutely still believe strongly that Clover Point should be largely closed off to vehicles,” he said. (Email, November 26, 2005) This time, Young plans to counter the major objections in 1994 by better accommodating the elderly and handicapped. His new plan restricts cars to the north end of the point but leaves the road down the hill open, leading to a parking lot near the pumping station. That location provides level and “easy wheelchair access out to view the water,” he explained. “Some handicapped slots” will be included with “a good view of the ocean.

The plan’s strongest opponent in 1994, David McLean, is no longer on City Council. Visits by cars and recreational users have increased in the last decade. Council and the public could respond more positively to Young’s arguments in 2006.

“Walking out on Clover Point on a stormy night could be a magical experience if it were not dominated by car motors and lights, as it is now,” Young said.

#18 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:41 PM

Clover Point Underwater: .....one lesser known feature of Clover Point is the railway cars off the end of the point. These four cars are sitting in about 60 ft. (20 m.) of water. They are very challenging to find and quite a ways off the tip of the point.

#19 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:36 PM

"A safer pedestrian area"

How many people get hit by cars on the Clover Pt. loop? 

#20 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

isn't there a way to make it pedestrian-friendly without getting rid of cars completely? i would have thought the end of the point would be too far from dallas rd to get the same amount of pedestrian traffic. i don't mean it would be impossible, just less convenient.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)