The Victoria IKEA thread

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:52 AM

Thought we might as well have an IKEA watch thread.

We posted this last night, it got lots of response, with over 280 comments so far...

great66.png

And a fan posted this:

screenshot-www.facebook.com 2015-01-05 06-45-37.png

• Mixed365 likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,236 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:53 AM

A pickup location would be okay, not as good as the real thing - so long as there are extra no shipping charges!

Does anyone know if their website is fully comprehensive? I suspect it isn't - I doubt it has all the smaller items after the showrooms?

#3 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:30 AM

I'd be fine with it if I could pick up the Swedish meatballs there!

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:33 AM

You can already get free delivery to Victoria if you spend over a certain amount so don't know how that would be of any use.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:03 PM

A pickup location would be okay, not as good as the real thing - so long as there are extra no shipping charges!

Does anyone know if their website is fully comprehensive? I suspect it isn't - I doubt it has all the smaller items after the showrooms?

Lots of the stuff in the marketplace isn't available for on-line purchase.

• tedward likes this

#6 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

If an Ikea store were to go in on the island I wonder where it would be located? Somewhere with good access to the Island Highway and central to the population base. Say between Nanaimo and Victoria. I wonder if there are any planned future commercial development areas which would be suitable.

Perhaps this grassy lot in south Nanaimo - https://maps.google.....01929&t=h&z=16

Or the future Oyster Bay village north of Ladysmith - https://maps.google.....01929&t=h&z=16

#7 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,236 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

If an Ikea store were to go in on the island I wonder where it would be located? Somewhere with good access to the Island Highway and central to the population base. Say between Nanaimo and Victoria. I wonder if there are any planned future commercial development areas which would be suitable.

Perhaps this grassy lot in south Nanaimo - https://maps.google.....01929&t=h&z=16

Or the future Oyster Bay village north of Ladysmith - https://maps.google.....01929&t=h&z=16

How about West Shore Parkway area in Langford?

Or at Jesken - stick that bridge on the end of the peninsula for Nanaimoites

Edited by lanforod, 05 January 2015 - 01:54 PM.

#8 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:07 PM

How about on top of a sewage treatment plant in Rock Bay. You'd have any nimby's overruled by pimby's (please Ikea my back yard).

• Nparker and Mixed365 like this

#9 sasamat

sasamat
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:37 PM

You can already get free delivery to Victoria if you spend over a certain amount so don't know how that would be of any use.

If they do offer free delivery, the threshold is at least a $1000 (I just tried it with $950 worth of furniture in my cart), which is likely more than the typical Ikea purchase. I've thought about ordering online in the past, but the shipping cost has always been a deal-breaker. Delivery fees are about $200-$300 for large-sized items. It's cheaper to go with a local service like Add2Cart. The one and only time I ordered a package online from Ikea (duvet and cover), it took 4 weeks for it to arrive from the depot in suburban Toronto. It seemed a bit absurd. 

I think there would be huge demand for a depot here, especially if there were no additional shipping fees. 

#10 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:47 PM

I dunno - half the attraction to IKEA seems, to me, to be the browsing through the store, daydreaming about what could be, while the littl'uns pelt each other with multicoloured plastic in the ball room. Browsing online just doesn't do that..
Also, is there a big enough population on the island to justify a full store? How many of us are there now, 600k?
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:51 PM

Perhaps an IKEA Marketplace with a relatively small retail footprint but with a sizable area for pickup of purchases from online or shipped from other stores would work here.

• sasamat likes this

#12 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

What's with people and IKEA? I wouldn't buy from them if they were the only store here. I can't be the only one who thinks their stuff is cheap and junky looking. If one has to come here put it at Jesken with the new Costco.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#13 sasamat

sasamat
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

What's with people and IKEA? I wouldn't buy from them if they were the only store here. I can't be the only one who thinks their stuff is cheap and junky looking. If one has to come here put it at Jesken with the new Costco.

If you're a student trying to outfit an apartment and you're short on cash and time, Ikea is a pretty good place to go. I don't think anyone is claiming Ikea is the best quality, but it's convenient and affordable (assuming you have one in your city). I moved to Vancouver for grad school and had to purchase an entire apartment's worth of furniture in one day (got the keys on a Saturday, started classes Tuesday). I rented a truck for the afternoon and got almost everything I needed. I did it all for about $1800. Yes, I could have found deals on Craigslist, but when you don't have a vehicle, it's hard to coordinate renting a vehicle and picking things up in a strange new city.

Some of their stuff is a pretty good deal, like their textiles, kitchen accessories, kids furniture, etc. 

#14 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:13 PM

I dunno - half the attraction to IKEA seems, to me, to be the browsing through the store, daydreaming about what could be, while the littl'uns pelt each other with multicoloured plastic in the ball room. Browsing online just doesn't do that..
Also, is there a big enough population on the island to justify a full store? How many of us are there now, 600k?

Somewhere around 800,000.

Between Langford and Cowichan would make the most sense.

Edited by jonny, 05 January 2015 - 07:17 PM.

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:37 PM

I reno'd my bathroom and went with one of those fancy local cabinet makers to build my vanity. 5 years on the thing is peeling and the the hardware is pretty sucky. Meanwhile my 5 year old walk-in closet cabinetry and my daughter ikea closet is still in perfect shape. Not to mention it looks pretty damn good.

If you buy the right thing at Ikea, the workmanship is excellent and the material is solid.

• Nparker likes this

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

I bought a used Ikea Galant desk and promptly took the circular saw to it. 

What?  It didn't fit and after the surgery it made a perfect corner desk. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:22 PM

One of our business colleagues was a "human funneling" expert for IKEA. He was responsible for making you wind your way through their layouts and see as much stuff as possible and in a way that would make you want to buy as much as possible.

He's now a map maker focused primarily on tourism maps of Chinese cities. Fascinating, fascinating stuff he makes and it all originated with the IKEA concept.

Just thought I'd throw that in there :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:40 PM

One of our business colleagues was a "human funneling" expert for IKEA. He was responsible for making you wind your way through their layouts and see as much stuff as possible and in a way that would make you want to buy as much as possible.

He's now a map maker focused primarily on tourism maps of Chinese cities. Fascinating, fascinating stuff he makes and it all originated with the IKEA concept.

Just thought I'd throw that in there :)

There are some shortcuts in the Richmond Ikea so that you don't need to do the whole shebang.

#19 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:49 PM

Truth-Facts-Infographics-Blueprint-of-Ik

http://www.youthedes...ts-infographic/

• Mike K., Nparker and sebberry like this

#20 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:14 PM

How many kids per day end up in the lost & and never found department?

• sebberry likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users