Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Fisgard/Store/Herald lot | residential, commercial | proposed

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,160 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:08 PM

Plans are afoot to build a large mixed-use residential and commercial project on the parking lot (with the Volvo mechanic shop) bordered by Fisgard, Store and Herald streets in downtown Victoria's design district. The owner of the property is the Lou Poy family, who also own the Capital Iron/Mark's Work Warehouse parking lot at Chatham/Store/Discovery streets, and the former Art World building on Chatham between Douglas and Government streets.

Fisgard-Store-Herald-March-28-2015.jpg

• Mr Cook Street and thundergun like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:07 PM

What do you mean by "plans are afoot" exactly?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#3 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:03 PM

Methinks the easy way to go wrong on this site would be to build a block monster with a uniform appearance from one corner to the other. The facade needs to be broken up and it should suggest -- if not actually consist of -- multiple buildings.

• Rob Randall likes this

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,393 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:58 PM

Does large mean taller than 3 floors?

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,160 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:30 AM

What do you mean by "plans are afoot" exactly?

The owners are moving on a project. This is pretty major for that part of downtown.

The exact nature of the project I don't yet know.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:35 AM

Methinks the easy way to go wrong on this site would be to build a block monster with a uniform appearance from one corner to the other. The facade needs to be broken up and it should suggest -- if not actually consist of -- multiple buildings.

It will be a challenge to avoid the Bay Centre look of a giant concrete box with a bunch of quaint facades pasted on. I can see three storeys on Store St. stepping up to five. This is a major project and I am anxious to see the architect(s) assigned to it. I would like to see Merrick and Dambrosio collaborate.

#7 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:38 AM

I've said it before but I'll make the point again that it's okay for a new brick facade (or part of a new brick facade) to be painted. It just never seems to happen in Victoria for some reason. So we have a bunch of bland brick borefests like Harbour Square, the Salvation Army, that office block on Pandora behind Market Square, and that shelter building on Store Street. They're supposed to be perfect fits for the old town. They aren't. They stick out like crazy.

#8 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:52 AM

Still waiting for Victoria to start doing new lowrise buildings like this:

i_w_0.jpg

Or like these, in Yaletown...

• Nparker, sebberry, jonny and 1 other like this

#9 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:12 PM

The owners are moving on a project. This is pretty major for that part of downtown.

The exact nature of the project I don't yet know.

Where did you hear that they are moving? 

Do they not need to do a huge amount of environmental remediation first?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:20 PM

There are no fuel tanks I don't think. Just a service station.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#11 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:15 PM

I'm pretty sure there are fuel tanks there.

e_03786.gif

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,160 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:18 PM

Where did you hear that they are moving? 

Do they not need to do a huge amount of environmental remediation first?

From a very reliable source. The Lou Poy family is also eyeing their other properties in the Design District. They're considered a big player in the Design District/Rock Bay part of downtown.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

Know it all.

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:20 PM

They will develop the former Art World location soon as well for sure. The reason Art World left is because they about to tipple the rent. I expect is was a concerted effort to get rid. Now the building has been leveled I think.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,160 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:24 PM

It hasn't been levelled just yet (the property next door has been due to a fire) but over the last week or two they installed plywood over all the windows.

Know it all.

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:58 AM

Right. Completely vacant by now right? I'm sure a levelling is in the works.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,160 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:44 AM

Yes that's right, completely vacant. If they can manage (or if they own, perhaps?) to consolidate the two properties that would be huge. It would also be great to get redevelop the Fountain Tire property but maybe that's needed in the downtown core? I dunno.

Know it all.

#17 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:47 AM

Any idea when we might see plans or movement on this? 

For clarification, does this also include the parking lot immediately west of Dragon Alley? Not sure if this is a separate lot or not.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,160 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:15 PM

Any idea when we might see plans or movement on this? 

For clarification, does this also include the parking lot immediately west of Dragon Alley? Not sure if this is a separate lot or not.

I don't believe so, only the 1705 Store Street property which does not include the pawn shop either (I think).

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users