Photo

[Cowichan Valley] Vancouver Island Motorsport Circuit / Resort

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:10 AM

Extremely interesting, I look forward to letting my car stretch it's legs.

http://www.islandmotorsportresort.com/

• LocalMom likes this

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#2 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:15 AM

Where will this be? Any more details? The website says only 45 minutes away from downtown. Mill Bay? Shawnigan Lake? Perhaps Mike could make a "media inquiry"? :thumbsup:

One of these was announced in the Okanagan earlier this year. http://globalnews.ca...ts-green-light/

Edited by jonny, 30 March 2015 - 09:19 AM.

#3 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:17 AM

Sounds like it could be interesting.  We've never been able to really get to know what our S2K can do, it would be great to get it out on a track.

#4 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:20 AM

One of these was announced in the Okanagan earlier this year. http://globalnews.ca...ts-green-light/

Didn't know about this, we will be watching closely.

• jonny likes this

#5 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:24 AM

At this time I have no further details. :confused:

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#6 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:48 AM

Extremely exciting. I know a lot of motorsport properties have a difficult time keeping revenue high enough to offset the significant operating expenses. I hope this one will thrive. 

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:54 AM

This just in, it's already under construction up in Shawnigan.
  • jonny and Dr. Barillas like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:56 AM

There have been rumors of a race track or road course opening up on Vancouver Island before, so this is definitely something I'll believe when I see.

That being said, there are a lot of high performance cars on Vancouver Island and of course Vancouver. If they do it right, it could be a real destination. The only *somewhat* real road course in BC is in Mission.

Guys and gals who belong to Porsche and Corvette clubs are willing to spent a lot of money doing this sort of stuff. Currently, all of this money is going south to Washington and Oregon.

I wonder if something like a tiered membership system would work like at a country club? Buy a membership and you can take a Porsche 911 out for a rip once a month.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#9 Chris City

Chris City
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:36 AM

Rumour I heard is that they are breaking ground this week or next, just west of Duncan on the Cowichan Highway. Three Point Motors is the main company backing it.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:34 AM

Three Point?

They've had mixed success over the years with quite a number of projects. Obviously there's some money there, but so far nothing major has been developed by these guys (not locally, at least, or not with any fanfare, that is). Hopefully this bucks that trend.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 Chris City

Chris City
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:38 PM

That was just the rumour I heard, I was surprised to hear that Three Point was involved as well but we should know for sure pretty soon. Also thought it was interesting about the location as they've been talking about a race track there for years.

#12 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:40 PM

Chris, could you provide some more details on the location?

#13 Chris City

Chris City
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

The text I got was pretty vague, just said west of Duncan on the Cowichan Highway. I'll try to find out more.

#14 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:56 PM

Off the top of my head, there are lots of fields, a golf course and a gravel pit out that way. It turns into thick bush pretty quick once you're past the golf course and gravel pit.

#15 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:49 PM

Around Paldi perhaps?

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:08 PM

45 minutes from Victoria, they say.

Know it all.

#17 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:12 PM

wasn't there a golf course development up in Cowichan near Maple Bay that failed about 5 years ago????

#18 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

Google says Paldi is 45 minutes from "Victoria" - https://maps.google....sp=0&sz=15&z=10

#19 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

https://www.facebook.com/AudiAutohaus

#20 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:49 PM

wasn't there a golf course development up in Cowichan near Maple Bay that failed about 5 years ago????

Yeah, but it is on the side of a mountain so not much good for a race track, also many houses in close proximity so that wouldn't go over very well.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users