- - - - -

Canadian Tire stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
417 replies to this topic

#1 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:52 AM

Canadian Tire's moving to Hillside. Guessing it's the Shelbourne location that's closing.
  • Nparker likes this

#2 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:01 AM

Canadian Tire's moving to Hillside. Guessing it's the Shelbourne location that's closing.

Woot! I called that ages ago! :P

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:05 AM

To Hillside Mall?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:05 AM

Yes. Target location.

Edited by gumgum, 06 May 2015 - 07:06 AM.

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:06 AM

Canadian Tire to buy 12 Target property leases in Canada

Retailer Canadian Tire Corp. said it would buy real estate leases for 12 properties previously held by the Canadian unit of Target Corp. for $17.7-million.

The 12 new locations will add about 400,000 square feet of retail space to Canadian Tire Retail’s store network, the company said on Wednesday.

[...]

http://www.theglobea...rticle24279678/

I guess things are going well for Canadian Tire.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:11 AM

^ Some are probably stores that needed a serious rework/expansion, much like the Shelbourne location in Saanich.

We don't yet know if they are taking the whole Target, do we? If they are, I suspect they close both Shelbourne and Douglas... I wouldn't be surprised to see them keep the Shelbourne one just for automotive, though I don't know if they've ever split those functions before.

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:14 AM

We don't know what stores they've bought yet.  It appears that they've only picked up 12, so who knows if Victoria is on the list. 

I'd be surprised if they gave up the Shelbourne store.  It's old and small but seems to serve quite a few people. 

I could see Douglas moving to Hillside.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#8 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:16 AM

We don't know what stores they've bought yet.  It appears that they've only picked up 12, so who knows if Victoria is on the list. 

I'd be surprised if they gave up the Shelbourne store.  It's old and small but seems to serve quite a few people. 

I could see Douglas moving to Hillside.

Retail coming and going thread has info about this. They are going into the Hillside Target. We don't have more details yet...

• sebberry likes this

#9 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:22 AM

CBC article on it has more info than the Globe article I posted in the Target thread:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...tions-1.3063272

#10 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:44 AM

Canadian Tire on Douglas has been shopping for new space for a very long time. They were going to redevelop but moving would be way more cost effective. There was even talk of them moving to the old Toyota site but I don't know if the floor plate would be big enough.

#11 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:04 AM

Good news - Crappy Tire bought the Hillside location.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...tions-1.3063272

New Canadian Tire stores will take over the old Target spots in the following locations:

• Bayers Lake Power Centre, Halifax.
  • Northwest Centre, Moncton, N.B.
  • Place Alexis Nihon, Montreal
  • Place Versailles, Montreal.
  • Les Carrefours Rimouski, Rimouski, Que.
  • Aurora Centre, Aurora, Ont.
  • Sudbury Super Mall, Sudbury, Ont.
  • Grant Park Shopping Centre, Winnipeg.
  • Driftwood Mall, Courtenay, B.C.
  • Tamarack Shopping Centre, Cranbrook, B.C.
  • Village Green Mall, Vernon, B.C.
  • Hillside Centre Victoria.

Edited by jonny, 06 May 2015 - 08:05 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#12 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:06 AM

The bad news is the Hillside location won't be becoming a Lowe's...rats, that was my guess.

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:41 PM

I think the Hillside space is awaaay to large for a Canadian Tire, unless of course they plan on making a huge service garage on the main floor for  installing "tires", in which case the garage entrance would likely be on the north side of the building where the nice garden is.

P1030934.jpg

#14 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:03 PM

It will most likely be one of their Canadian Tire/ Mark's locations. They will also now be the largest lease holder in the mall with the Sport's Check/ Atmosphere location there.
  • Nparker and jonny like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#15 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:38 PM

Some CT stores are franchises AFAIK so it most likely would be a corporate store that will take such a large space.
My hope is they will move up from lighting the store with 20w bulbs. The Douglas and Shelbourne stores are just depressing inside. Oh yeah, hire a few more people who act like they want to be there.
  • Nparker likes this

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:29 PM

I like the one out in Langford.  Big, bright and they welcome dogs.  Not that I have a dog to take there. 

What they need to get rid of however is the one-way cattle gate at the entrance and stop locking everything I want up behind glass, then insisting that I can't do any more shopping while you hold my hand to the checkout. 

• Fairbanks, Nparker and jonny like this

#17 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:08 AM

The nice Canadian Tires I have seen in Alberta all seem to be Canadian Tire and Mark's Work Wearhouse combos.

The cattle gate entrance thing is weird. The narrow aisles, clutter and low lighting of the Douglas location is depressing. It just makes me want to get in, get what I need and get out as fast as I can without browsing around.

• Nparker, Bingo and johnk like this

#18 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:45 AM

There are some huge CT in Canada.

One thing I noticed when moving here from out east other than the crappy locations was the horrendous service. The managers out here need to get their finger out.
  • 57WestHills likes this

#19 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:43 PM

The nice Canadian Tires I have seen in Alberta all seem to be Canadian Tire and Mark's Work Wearhouse combos.

Which ones are those? I haven't seen one here yet but there is one like that in Duncan. The new one in Nanaimo is suppose to be fairly nice as well.  

Its a real shame that Canadian tire doesn't have any gas bars out there tho

#20 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:45 PM

I think the Hillside space is awaaay to large for a Canadian Tire, unless of course they plan on making a huge service garage on the main floor for  installing "tires", in which case the garage entrance would likely be on the north side of the building where the nice garden is.

P1030934.jpg

Its probable they will focus on the service side, its what makes the dealers the real money. Corp is also really pushing this Canada's Garage program and their ACE program for service.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users