24 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:04 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-hour-1.3107005

SkyTrain on Expo, M-Line trains stalled for 2.5 hours during rush hour

TransLink says 19 packed trains were stalled between stations due to a technical issue during the rush-hour commute on Tuesday evening. 

Spokesperson Anne Drennan says 17 of those 19 trains have been manually driven into nearby stations and have been fully evacuated.

Expo Line and Millennium line trains timed out around 4:20 p.m. PT between Royal Oak station in Burnaby and Waterfront station in Vancouver. Service was restored around 7 p.m., nearly two and a half hours later. A pregnant woman onboard one of the trains had an anxiety attack, but she was assisted by fellow passengers. Crews prioritized getting that train into a station as quickly as possible, Drennan said

I think if you have people stuck in dead trains for 2+ hours, you do not have a reasonable evacuation plan.  They ought to have protocols in place to get folks off if the delay is over 30 minutes.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:40 AM

Especially since this is happening with increasing frequency.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:28 AM

Ever since I moved away, certainly seeing more and more skytrain issues. I used to ride it daily, would get maybe 1 issue of maximum 5 minutes a month. Now it seems they have a major multi-hour issue every few months. Ouch.

Yesterday wasn't a cool day either. A rush hour train is packed, especially anywhere on that particular stretch.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:38 AM

A rush hour train is packed, especially anywhere on that particular stretch.

Exactly.  How can they possibly be OK with people being in the cars for over 2 hours?   Then they proceeded to give heck to a few guys that pried open doors and walked away.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:13 AM

If you're going to move people like cattle, you can't be surprised when they treat people like cattle.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:03 AM

Seating capacity reduced on overcrowded Canada Line trains in pilot project

http://dailyhive.com...g-configuration

#7 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:07 AM

Nice problem to have.  Too many transit users.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:14 AM

Nice problem to have.  Too many transit users.

Or is it too few trains?

#9 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:22 AM

Trains are too small and ridership has grown faster than projections. Because it was built on the cheap, expanding is going to be extensive and require huge payments to the concessionaire. Why P3 is a truly terrible idea.
  • http, Mr Cook Street and 57WestHills like this

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:30 AM

Trains are too small and ridership has grown faster than projections. Because it was built on the cheap, expanding is going to be extensive and require huge payments to the concessionaire. Why P3 is a truly terrible idea.

Jeepers, can't they just drop another one on the track, the computer picks up on that, and spaces them accordingly?  It's not built to easily scale?

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:00 PM

It's got nothing to do with a P3 and everything to do with wanting to have the line ready for the Olympics. It was a wildly successful project and playing the blame game is truly disingenuous, in my opinion.

The line grew in popularity, the stations were designed to accommodate small trains as per the budget, as per the projections, as per the required construction timelines.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:38 PM

Jeepers, can't they just drop another one on the track, the computer picks up on that, and spaces them accordingly?  It's not built to easily scale?

The trains are A-OK; it's the train platforms that aren't long enough because the BC Govt cheaped out Translink and they couldn't afford to plan for additional car trains.

Calgary recently did a refit of all their stations to accommodate 4 car trains, but unlike Calgary these stations are... in the sky! :P

#13 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:24 PM

It's got nothing to do with a P3 and everything to do with wanting to have the line ready for the Olympics. It was a wildly successful project and playing the blame game is truly disingenuous, in my opinion.

The line grew in popularity, the stations were designed to accommodate small trains as per the budget, as per the projections, as per the required construction timelines.

Not as per the projections... But yes as per the budget. The current projection is the "oh sh** we don't have enough money to do this all" lowered number.

P3 was certainly apart if this gong show as the cuts were made without consultation with Translink. I was far out of Vancouver by then but a lot of my university brethren were employed in transit at the time and the entire project caused them huge grief.

The recent car purchase will be great news though

At some point they're going to have to double track the end of the line at Richmond.

#14 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:47 PM

IIRC, there was a referendum on increased Translink funding fairly recently, no? It failed, so where's the money going to come from to double track? And, why not continue down to Ladner, Tsawwassen, White Rock, and the ferry?
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#15 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:53 PM

Ferry would make so sense. While it would be awesome for us, rapid transit needs consistent high volume to be practicable. While the line could probably push some more into Richmond the density of population drops off a figurative cliff pretty close to the current end-of-line. Of all the potential expansions in Metro Van going to the ferry is certainly not even on a list.

I suspect the Feds and Province will pay for the rest of the Canada Line's needed capacity improvements near the end of the current Trudeau mandate, but that's just a guess. It's a "shovel ready" project.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:05 AM

The line likely needs to be extended further into the valley considering the outrageous real-estate situation the further west you go.

Know it all.

#17 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:36 AM

The line likely needs to be extended further into the valley considering the outrageous real-estate situation the further west you go.

They'll do a line along Broadway out to UBC first (mostly or all underground, rather than elevated). Surrey is doing light rail instead of Skytrain, much cheaper.

After the Broadway line, I'm not sure what the plan is. That's 30 years out though probably.

Edited by lanforod, 22 August 2016 - 08:37 AM.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:47 AM

http://dailyhive.com...-this-christmas

SkyTrain Evergreen Line to open before this Christmas

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:16 AM

http://dailyhive.com...ening-date-2016

SkyTrain's Evergreen extension to officially open on December 2

#20 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:12 PM

Nice to see that Translink had some foresight with the roll-out of the Compass program. The capacity to accept NFC credit cards was built in from the beginning, and will soon be activated. That means no need to line up at a ticket machine to purchase a fare if you're an infrequent transit user or tourist, just tap your credit card (or NFC-enabled phone!) and board. http://www.cbc.ca/ne...allet-1.4570305

• Mike K., Nparker and grantpalin like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users