CRD politics

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:38 AM

Surprised nothing has been mentioned about the doubling of compensation CRD Directors voted themselves.

I agree with Marianne Alto in that its something that should be done in the year before an election so as to remove the conflict of interest provision...

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:43 AM

What are the compensation rates now?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:18 AM

What are the compensation rates now?

http://www.cfax1070....n-pay-increases

CRD directors have approved giving themselves pay raises and stipends that will add around $250-thousand to the regional budget.

The base pay for the board's 24 directors will jump from just under $9-thousand to $17-thousand. The CRD board chair will also receive a $25-thousand add-on, up from just over $20-thousand.

http://www.timescolo...s-ago-1.2054899

#4 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:16 PM

What's the time commitment? The chairperson says it's almost a full time commitment but that is hard to believe as how could he be full time there and also mayor which I assume is also close to full time.

And directors?

I'm not opposed to fair compensation though. If we don't pay them we can't expect to have competent people in the role

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:30 PM

CRD directors are local politicians, so we're not sourcing the "best of the best," so to speak, for the job. What's worse is the board is unelected, members are appointed by the council of each fiefdom.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:02 PM

^ Why do I see some municipal election signs that also refer to "CRD Director" ?

Is that because they are encumbents that already hold that position?

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:02 PM

Yes, and while the public can "vote" for their choice of directors on the ballot, the choice ultimately comes down to the mayor regardless of how many votes a councillor receives, at least in Victoria.

Know it all.

#8 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

Saanich and Victoria both have what amount to non-binding referenda for their directors. One minor correction to Mike's point, it is a council vote that appoints the CRD director(s), not the mayor. This small but cruicial difference lead to North Saanich's Mayor Finyall being replaced by a councillor during the last council term.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:26 AM

Ah, thanks for that.

Know it all.

#10 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:34 AM

Now just deduct the money spent on a badly bungled sewage system from their paycheques.

• Nparker and rjag like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#11 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:40 AM

Surprised nothing has been mentioned about the doubling of compensation CRD Directors voted themselves.

I agree with Marianne Alto in that its something that should be done in the year before an election so as to remove the conflict of interest provision...

That would be the appropriate way of doing things. A few of the politicians are making a big deal of having voted against the pay raise. Good for them. Now lets see how many of those same people follow Rob Ford's lead and donate the extra pay to charity to back their beliefs.

• rjag likes this

#12 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:45 AM

So basically this is where the horse trading takes place to see who wants to drink from the trough. And lets just ignore the claim that they are doing public service....come on they are in it for their personal beliefs and gain

Very democratic process....not....CRD Elections should be direct and independent of Municipal. And before someone says but how would that work, lets consider that Municipalities have made it very clear on numerous occasions that their primary interest lies within municipal boundaries....i.e. View Royal roadworks, Esquimalt Sewage treatment (which I agreed they were right to fight) Oak Bay rejection of VIHA Seniors Care, North Saanich rejection of affordable housing etc etc

Then these same folks appoint one of their own to the CRD to work on regional issues such as Parks (successful) or sewage (dismal failure) and then put up roadblocks to protect their area without regard for the greater region if there is even the remotest possibility that it may be unpopular for their electorate....

Its regressed into an autocratic farce.....its time to either have independent CRD Directors or continue to be treated like cattle  

• Mike K., Nparker and lanforod like this

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:59 AM

Yes, exactly!

What's happening with the selection of the sewage sites is evidence enough of the nonsense.

Know it all.

#14 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:45 PM

Amalgamation would solve the problem better in the long run, IMO.

• Nparker, tedward and Daveyboy like this

#15 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:58 AM

Based on the lack of public outrage I'd say this trial balloon experiment means they're good to go for this year after year.

#16 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:21 AM

I'm not outraged by them going from 8K to 17K per year after a 20 year freeze.  They should have indexed it for the future as well.

#17 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:40 PM

I'm not outraged by them going from 8K to 17K per year after a 20 year freeze.  They should have indexed it for the future as well.

$8000 in 1995 money is $11,585.89 today.   So they are getting ahead of inflation by a fair bit here.  

However what if they had indexed that $8000 to inflation in 1995?   Currently they made $160,000 in the last 20 years.  If they had indexed it to inflation a councilor would have made $192,000 in the same period.

So if we assume $8000 was fair in 1995, then the hypothetical 20 year serving councilor is currently some $32,000 behind where he should be.   At the current pay scale that will take them 6 years to catch up before they start outpacing the original pay.

So in 2021 we can start to get outraged about how councilors are being paid way more than agreed as fair in 1995.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:07 AM

Perhaps they can start by returning $60 million back to tax payers over their bungling of sewage treatment. Then we can talk about pay raises.
  • Bingo likes this

Know it all.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:58 PM

At the meeting today, Desjardins wins narrowly over Jensen for chair.

For vice-chair, Jensen loses to David Howe (South Gulf Islands rep).

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:01 PM

I guess Nils left the meeting a little sheepish.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users