Photo

Victoria "wins" CFIB rating for most over-spending city.

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:42 PM

The problem is especially pronounced in Victoria, where the increase in real operating spending was six times population growth. 

The $68 billion question: How can cities cry poor while spending so much?

http://www.cfib-fcei...ng-so-much.html

Report pdf:   http://www.cfib-fcei...ents/rr3376.pdf

screenshot-www.cfib-fcei.ca 2015-11-03 17-42-09.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:37 AM

Hmmm, I wonder what could have happened the last 10 years to help cause this?    

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:52 AM

Hmmm, I wonder what could have happened the last 10 years to help cause this?    

Well, I guess low inflation combined with union and management steady increases.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:56 AM

^ And/or the offloading of provincial and federal services onto municipalities?  

• tedward likes this

#5 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:59 AM

^ And/or the offloading of provincial and federal services onto municipalities?

Which causes employee wages to rise exponentially??????

#6 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:05 AM

Well, I guess low inflation combined with union and management steady increases.

Quote from the same article:

"Helps said the CFIB recommendations should take into consideration the number of responsibilities that have been downloaded to municipalities from senior governments."

#7 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:06 AM

Are individual wages rising exponentially or total payroll?  If you have more responsibilities, then you presumably need more people to do it.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:07 AM

^ ^ What irresponsibles are those?

Lets ask Oak Bay what it has to pay now, that the upper levels used to pay.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:08 AM

Are individual wages rising exponentially or total payroll?  If you have more responsibilities, then you presumably need more people to do it.

I bet you'll find the number of employees has not changed much, just wages.  Now, that might include more overtime, hard to know.

#10 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:10 AM

Are you not concerned about management salaries?

CFIB appears to be on the hunt for contract work for its members.

#11 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:12 AM

I bet you'll find the number of employees has not changed much, just wages. Now, that might include more overtime, hard to know.

Perhaps you could try finding out, rather than betting about it.

#12 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:29 AM

That's a valid question. I think based on the report it implies that wages are rising faster....

#13 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:32 AM

Are you not concerned about management salaries?

CFIB appears to be on the hunt for contract work for its members.

I think, when it comes to being the custodian of taxpayers money that it behooves them to consider that this money is spent as wisely as possible. The question arises, what takes precedence in the Municipal Politicians view, the taxpayer or the city employee? Both require an equal and balanced approach but not to the detriment of the taxpayer.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:33 AM

Perhaps you could try finding out, rather than betting about it.

It's simply not in budget documents.  And I'd bet (again) I can't call the City and get the info.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:38 AM

When you have a government that only sees spending as the solution to every problem, you get what we have.

Yesterday on CFAX Councillor Alto was saying that perhaps Victoria should look at charging a fee or a tax for an out-of-town real-estate buyer. She alluded to the issue of empty condos, as elusive as they are, but that supposed issue has given rise to the idea that if we tax foreigners, at least we'll get some more spending money for affordable housing.

Never mind the fact that the $20k the foreigner will spend will just work to increase the overall cost of housing in the region and force locals to eventually pay more for housing. Alto was also against the idea of building another View Towers because she doesn't like big buildings and she doesn't like forcing individuals who can't afford market housing to all live together in a social housing projects. She prefers social/affordable housing to be mixed in with market housing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 Dr.Doinglittle

Dr.Doinglittle
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:41 AM

It's no secret that CoV jobs pay well above the average - including compared to similar jobs in the provincial and federal public service

Just look at the union salaries listed in advertised in job postings, or the city financial statements for excluded positions above 75k.

Managers - $100k+

Senior planners - $90k+

Project coordinators - $75k+

Some of these salaries are $10K above other public service jobs in BC

• jonny likes this

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:41 AM

Alto was also against the idea of building another View Towers because she doesn't like big buildings and she doesn't like forcing individuals who can't afford market housing to all live together in a social housing projects. She prefers social/affordable housing to be mixed in with market housing.

There is something to be said for that.  "The Projects" never work.  You need kids growing up in a better environment.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:42 AM

Yesterday on CFAX Councillor Alto was saying that perhaps Victoria should look at charging a fee or a tax for an out-of-town real-estate buyer. She alluded to the issue of empty condos, as elusive as they are, but that supposed issue has given rise to the idea that if we tax foreigners, at least we'll get some more spending money for affordable housing.

I've said it before, empty condos should be the dream of any city.  Huge property tax revenue, zero social services costs.

• aastra and jonny like this

#19 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:46 AM

...Both require an equal and balanced approach but not to the detriment of the taxpayer.

Agreed.

To me it seems the CFIB is simply out to rile up taxpayers with this one, and it's being rather disingenuous about it. Consider this statement:

"Local governments have inexplicably grown their workforce faster than the private sector."

I should think the author could have at least made an attempt at finding out (or at least speculating) about this. Instead, the author simply says it's inexplicable – leaving many readers to invent their own explanations, and then call for blood.

#20 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:52 AM

It's no secret that CoV jobs pay well above the average - including compared to similar jobs in the provincial and federal public service

Just look at the union salaries listed in advertised in job postings, or the city financial statements for excluded positions above 75k.

Managers - $100k+

Senior planners - $90k+

Project coordinators - $75k+

Some of these salaries are $10K above other public service jobs in BC

I wonder how many of those positions get no OT though.  Some of these people have to work ungodly hours, especially when a neighbourhood wants 12 hours of nighttime council meetings to rail on a tiny development.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users