BUILT
Radius at Royal Oak
Use: rental
Address: 4396 West Saanich Road
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Radius at Royal Oak is a 66-unit, six-storey purpose-built rental development situated at Tri-Eagle Plaza in S... (view full profile)
Learn more about Radius at Royal Oak on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Radius at Royal Oak | Rentals | 6-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:22 PM

Six-storey condo planned for Tri-Eagle Plaza in Saanich

http://victoria.citi...aza-in-saanich/

Tri-Eagle Development Corporation and Jawl Residential (formerly Trebizond Developments) have applied for a development permit to build a six-storey, 60 unit woodframe condo at 4396 West Saanich Road in Saanich.

Tentatively known as The Residences at Royal Oak, the building will be situated at Tri-Eagle Plaza near the nexus of West Saanich Road, Glanford Road and Quadra Street and just south of the Royal Oak Shopping Centre.

Originally envisioned as a five-storey office building, the development concept turned all-residential following the success of the development team's Uptown Place condo project at Huxley Street and Rowland Avenue north of the Uptown Shopping Centre. [Full article]

Residences-at-Royal-Oak-1.jpg

Residences-at-Royal-Oak-2.jpg

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:41 PM

There is an excellent trail network from there starting with the Royal Oak Trail.

#3 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:12 PM

Interesting, Saanich considers both Royal Oak and Broadmead a single urban centre, although they really function as two separate centres given the highway that bisects them.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:24 PM

Radius received unanimous approval this evening.

• nagel likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:12 AM

Nice. Do you know where it will be situated on that site? From an overhead view, I would suspect it would be right across the small road from McDonald's, which might make the North facing units harder to sell than normal...

https://goo.gl/maps/v3r4PjpFy1k

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:38 AM

Here you go: http://vibrantvictor...ed/#entry321362

Zoom in on the map for a more precise location.

Know it all.

#7 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:05 AM

Here you go: http://vibrantvictor...ed/#entry321362

Zoom in on the map for a more precise location.

wrong link yo?

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:45 AM

Let's try that again: http://victoria.citi...s-at-royal-oak/

Know it all.

#9 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:51 AM

Capture.PNG

• thundergun likes this

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:01 PM

Let's hope this project fares better than the region's previous "Radius" project: http://vibrantvictor...2008/?hl=radius

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:17 AM

Saanich approves six-storey Radius at Royal Oak condo

http://victoria.citi...oyal-oak-condo/

A 60-unit residential development has been approved by Saanich council for an empty lot at 4396 West Saanich Road south of Royal Oak Shopping Centre.

Dubbed Radius at Royal Oak, the six-storey woodframe condo from developers Tri-Eagle Development and Jawl Residential, will include a collection of one- and two-bedroom homes ranging between 630 and approximately 1,200 square feet. In-keeping with the duo's affinity for ground level garden homes made popular at their recently sold-out Uptown Place development, a collection of the sought after units will also be available. [Full article]

Radius-at-Royal-Oak-approved-Citified.jpg

Know it all.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

This project is now proceeding as a 66-unit purpose-built rental project.

Saanich developers drop condo plans in favour of rental suites

http://victoria.citi...-rental-suites/

Know it all.

#13 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:19 AM

This building is starting to take shape. 

The thing I like about this project is its location. 

Close to transportation and shopping, and not close to other residential neighbours. 

I have sent my assistant to the site to get some detailed information so standby for that. In the meantime here is a shot taken from the rear of the building. I like the rear. Quieter and afternoon sun. 

Radius.jpg

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#14 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:59 PM

Went to their contact page and it looks like Devon is the property manager. They're really going for these new suburban rentals.

< 1500 is their lowest price bracket in their application form while the smallest unit is just over 500 sqft. They seem to be going for a high end price tag.

With vacancy rates as low as they are I think a lot of people will suck it up even though the project seems to be lacking on perks you'd expect in a luxury complex. The finishes and proximity to nature is what's being marketed. They should also advertise that there's no Colwood Crawl or tent cities to be experienced.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:06 PM

The building is not your typical rental. Nine foot ceilings throughout save for some top floor units with 11 or 12 foot ceilings, ample underground secure parking and higher end finishings.

Know it all.

#16 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:36 PM

Yup, the materials are quality and the design is slick. But for the price range they seem to be aiming for I expected stuff like an exercise room, a pool and/or some sort of pampering. I'm selling the location short, though - proximity to the outdoors and other natural amenities is a given in nearly all of the CRD so I don't think they're swinging above weight in that department. $1500 as a floor for a 1 BR is basically what you pay for a new-ish suburban condo close to transit in Metro Vancouver.

Edited by Casual Kev, 05 June 2018 - 06:37 PM.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:46 PM

It’s also what you’d pay for a one bedroom in downtown Victoria, and far more depending on the unit height.

Know it all.

#18 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:29 PM

But its not downtown?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#19 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:30 PM

Isn't it a slippery slope to start thinking rentals in the suburbs are worth as much as downtown, when really all they have is a higher ceiling?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#20 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:08 PM

In my first VV post I remarked how rental prices in downtown aren't much higher than in the nearby suburbs for similar units, until you get to the Westshore or Central Saanich; I suppose there's a systemic preference for that. People (particularly families and older folks) would rather live in a quiet residential neighborhood a couple of kilometers from the core than live where noise, pollution and crime are concentrated, even if it would be convenient. Victoria isn't a big city so even a neighborhood by the countryside like Royal Oak is a manageable drive away from work and entertainment. Most of the regional population doesn't need to spend 1+ hours behind the wheel every workday.

There's probably some supply-and-demand at work too; tons of older rental stock in and around downtown that drives competition but outside of some main arteries there are few rental options in Saanich. So if the preference for residential silence that's not too far from town does exist, then the scarcity of rentals would also drive their price up. Cadboro Bay's charm comes in part from a lack of long-term renters, if you will. 

Now, downtown rental price tags can be a bit misleading because there's a lot of penny-pinching; your unit probably doesn't come with parking, you might have to pay extra for storage and your bike needs to go somewhere that won't get stolen overnight. For new rentals those things can easily add up to $200+ per month. But the difference is still not very pronounced. Good for the car-ditchers, who might pay less bills living downtown than those living much further away.

(but aha - no car equals no Costco trips! What do you say now, Kev?)

• lanforod likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users