Photo

Saanich Community Gardens

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 SAGA

SAGA
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:40 PM

This topic started by Saanich Allotment Gardens Advocates (Saga).  

Saga is looking to further engage residents of Saanich over the subject of community gardens.  Its present focus is toward establishing the next sites for local resident rent-able garden plots, with facility and knowledge support from the municipality and community garden enthusiasts.

Saga is organized by Victoria residents,  in collaboration under the Saanich Parks and Recreation Master Plan,  and Strategic plan for community allocated gardens which has a goal to establish 12 community gardens by 2036 (three are up and running).

http://www.saanich.c...masterplan.html

The 2011 annual report:  http://www.saanich.c...cs/reports.html

( a recent reference the goal of 12 gardens by 2036 under the current strategic plan can be found searching keyphrase "allotment garden" )

http://www.saanich.ca/living/pdf/communitygardenspolicy.pdf

An example of a Saga endeavour,  the Cordwood proposal can be downloaded from 

www.roag.ca

Would this first posting be better suited to General Discussions?  or left in Urban Design?

-Wei

Attached Images

• roag.jpg

#2 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:33 AM

I guess the trick is getting these south enough that they are actually relevant. Anything past Saanich Commonwealth Place and I'd question whether it would work, since most places beyond there have some land.

#3 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,322 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:12 AM

Is that messy one by McKenzie/17 just north of Pacific Christian at max capacity?

#4 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:15 AM

Is that messy one by McKenzie/17 just north of Pacific Christian at max capacity?

If you mean the one between Agnes and Kenneth I just biked through there last Friday and it seemed full to me.

#5 znds

znds
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:37 AM

great posts and questions.  saanich has two large community gardens, the one off agnes street and one off hwy17 (access by kent rd).  both have been entirley full with multi-year waitlists since ages ago.  saanich recently made a smaller garden in gorge park.  i think that's full with waits also.

nagel's comment about south-of-commonwealth is right on.  in the case of "cordwood", this is near high-density including low-income CRD apartments housing.  a desirable idea will be "neighbourhood" siting proximate to density rather than get-in-car-to-drive-to-garden.

#6 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,322 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:10 AM

UVic has a 90 plot one as well, though restricted to students and staff. Also full, I think.

#7 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:08 AM

UVic announced that it was going to increase community garden space (it seems to me that this happened in the aftermath of a protest in which sod was dumped on a section of lawn outside the library) and surveyed staff and students. The plan was to create community garden space in the family housing area. I gather nothing has happened on that front.

#8 SAGA

SAGA
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:58 PM

I guess the trick is getting these south enough that they are actually relevant. Anything past Saanich Commonwealth Place and I'd question whether it would work, since most places beyond there have some land.

Agreed.  The focus is more on densely populated areas, in Victoria / Saanich terms at least.  

Echoed in the outline , "Guidelines for Selecting New Sites  ..proximity to urban neighbourhoods and areas of population density"

http://www.saanich.ca/living/pdf/communitygardenspolicy.pdf

Many proposed sites have been considered and rejected leaving a parcel by commonwealth and another at quick's bottom park.. we are working on identifying others.

-wei

#9 SAGA

SAGA
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:03 PM

Yes,  the waiting list on the two established gardens is something around 8 years, or basically,  not open for waiting list.   The other is at Agnes off Glanford Avenue.  

There is a third that was recently established but to my knowledge it is at full capacity as well,  although not fully developed into complete plots just yet.  I can look into it if you're attempting to rent something.

-wei

#10 SAGA

SAGA
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:51 PM

UVic has a 90 plot one as well, though restricted to students and staff. Also full, I think.

UVic announced that it was going to increase community garden space (it seems to me that this happened in the aftermath of a protest in which sod was dumped on a section of lawn outside the library) and surveyed staff and students. The plan was to create community garden space in the family housing area. I gather nothing has happened on that front.

The Uvic gardens is for  .....resolute rabbits able to sneak under our feebly human-built chain link!

Much of those initiatives also wait and depend on increased commitment in quality volunteer hours, and outside fundraising,  since expansion is planned for additional workshops, greenhouse build-out/expansion, aquaponics equipment, kitchen spapce and more communal amenities to match.  They would probably have an easier time if it was just about the already scarce land and not who will maintain everything to good productive use.  The support-role / member turnover could be higher than with the municipality gardens.

Also, from experience, the waiting lists on the other gardens can be shortened for those willing to put in volunteer work cutting grass, removing invasive plants and such.  

Even though strictly sharing garden plots is prohibited, I don't imagine helping out existing plot renters would be frowned upon.  Grease your way into a well-deserved short list maybe??  

Uvic definitely full with wait-list. Shortage everywhere due in part to super low cost of rental and free water :/

-wei

#11 SAGA

SAGA
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:54 PM

Happy new year and thanks to all those expressing interest in food security endeavours this year.  For those already planning their Spring gardening,  don't forget to check up on your stored seeds, tubers and whatnot  -  a list of effective companion plantings for popular veggies can be found here:    growarow.wordpress.com/mulch/companion-planting/    

Great to know if you're buying overstocked 2015 seeds now or planning the space.  

Something to consider while community gardens in Victoria endure increasing popularity and wait-listers is the variety and quality of seed you choose will make a huge difference come harvest!  Your community garden's a source of trusty seed through trial, and growing information regardless of membership.  While folks do experience varying results in our peninsular climate,  it's generally wise to plant for staggered harvest times and rotate veggie groups each season if you're not enriching the soil regularly.  When ordering, I found it worthwhile paying a little more for quality and trying many different varieties.  If you're really eager to extend the growing season,  purpose-made DIY greenhouses can be seen at capital city allotment gardens at 641 end of Kent rd / off Carey, info@ccaagardens.org .

I stocked a decent collection after spending hundreds each year on bulk seed and saving from the best performers.  This year I'll be comparing root, vegetable and herb trials, including many damp&cool-season recommendations, mostly with friends' home lots under similar setup.  New additions for cold / damp tolerance:  four lettuce, four basil, eight heirloom tomatoes (with tagetes marigold) as more folks ask for tasty heirlooms that are increasingly hard to find.  Results will be posted through 2016,  and free seed available for 2017.  

cheers,  

-wei

#12 BarryVer

BarryVer
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:18 AM

Victoria has long experienced a huge shortage of available gardening plots. Currently a 3 to 4 year waiting list! We have no waiting list! We have tons of land and partitioned 12 acres of 1 of the properties that will be dedicated to garden plots. This is a for profit venture and will be building to meet demands. Anyone who loves to garden, whether its for the satisfaction of eating your own veggies or just the relaxation of getting outside to enjoy mother nature, is welcome. This will hopefully build into a large scale gardening community with incredible people. I would love some feedback from the community on our idea.

• Matt R. likes this

#13 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,789 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

5.5 million for a pretty awkward size of greenspace. i think that money could be better spent upgrading an existing nearby park. lights or a new all weather playing field somewhere.

Saanich in agreement to purchase Kings Road land for $5.5 million

Deal contingent on Saanich raising additional $2.75 million for land

https://www.vicnews....or-5-5-million/

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:57 PM

Press release:

Saanich, BC – The District of Saanich Council is asking for support from the community to help cover the cost of acquiring land near the intersection of Kings Road and Richmond Avenue.

“We heard from residents over the last several months that this property is a crucial part of their community,” said Mayor Fred Haynes. “It’s important that we balance our commitment to fiscal responsibility with the needs of the community, so we’re asking for support to help us raise funds to cover the cost of this property.”

Saanich has entered into a $5.5 million conditional agreement with BC Hydro to purchase the large, unique piece of land in an effort to respond to the needs of the community and capitalize on future opportunities. Decisions about land use - including the possibility of park or development use - will be made in the future.

In order to cover the cost of the land purchase, Saanich will consider a financial plan amendment to establish borrowing of approximately $4 million toward the purchase price. The payments for this loan are provided for within the existing debt servicing budget. The other $1.5 million will come from reserve funds.

Saanich Council will seek financial contributions from other local governments, community associations and organizations and residents to raise $2.75 million of the purchase price. If Council is unable to raise this amount to offset the incurred debt, Saanich intends to dispose of a portion of the property to recuperate some of the cost.

Quick facts:
The parcel of land is 2.23 hectares and consists of three addresses: 1843 and 1845 Kings Roads and 2661 Richmond Road.

The site is undeveloped, with the exception of one uninhabited single-family dwelling, and is covered with grass, trees and shrubs.

Bowker Creek runs along the southwest boundary of the site.
BC Hydro has owned the property since 1958 and recently determined it is surplus to its needs.

As part of its disposition process, BC Hydro first offered the land to the provincial government, crown agencies and local First Nations.

Work is currently underway to complete due diligence and remove subject conditions. It is expected that Saanich will take possession in late summer or early fall 2019.

More information about how to make a contribution toward the purchase of the land will be provided in the coming months.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:52 PM

5.5 million for a pretty awkward size of greenspace. i think that money could be better spent upgrading an existing nearby park. lights or a new all weather playing field somewhere.

Saanich in agreement to purchase Kings Road land for $5.5 million

Deal contingent on Saanich raising additional $2.75 million for land

https://www.vicnews....or-5-5-million/

This is where those weird municipal boundaries come in to play. The BC Hydro lands are located at the tip of a small finger of Saanich, which is probably why they are asking "other municipalities" to help out financially. Oak Bay and Victoria are both a block (or less!) away from the lands.

Capture.PNG

#16 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,789 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

thanks for those borders. so wouldn’t a $1 million fix up of the park (?) behind richmond elementary make more sense? or just buying a strip along the creek at the hydro site? i mean green space is nice but somehow I get the feeling it’s likely just the few dozen adjacent neighbours that are keen on this site.

#17 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,322 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:39 PM

Seems to me if they just split some of it off into residential zoning and sell some lots, they could offset much of the cost to purchase, while still having a good size park.

• Nparker likes this

#18 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,789 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:52 AM

if you put a road in from kings you are going to get about 10 lots backing onto the existing homes on dean. that will have park view from their front lawns. so those lots will sell well but likely upset the dean residents that like backing onto a park.

im not sure there are good options here. without putting a road into it you’ll get less lots fronting kings.

#19 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:06 AM

This is where those weird municipal boundaries come in to play. The BC Hydro lands are located at the tip of a small finger of Saanich, which is probably why they are asking "other municipalities" to help out financially. Oak Bay and Victoria are both a block (or less!) away from the lands.

Shiva H. Vishnu, I can't believe Saanich has the stones to ask Victoria for anything.  SOFMC, JSB, policing, etc.  GFYS Saanich Council! 

Edited by Bob Fugger, 31 January 2019 - 09:07 AM.

• Nparker, jonny, sdwright.vic and 1 other like this

#20 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:01 AM

^Here, here!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users