Photo

Victoria Police Chief Frank Elsner Investigated for inappropriate Twitter exchanges with wife of officer

• Please log in to reply
1327 replies to this topic

#1 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:28 PM

http://www.timescolo...sages-1.2127143

What an a*hole. He is "humiliated" because he was caught. What about his subordinate officer who would likely prefer to address this in a back alley mano-a-mano but can't because the Chief is his boss. How does he feel?

Complete lack of leadership here by Helps just passing the buck to Desjardins.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:39 PM

"Board co-chair Barb Desjardins initially tried to sidestep The Sun’s questions about whether any investigation had been done.

Instead, she repeatedly stated: “there’s no investigation at this time” and “there are/were no formal complaints put forward.”

But within 24 hours she was forced to clarify her comments and admit an investigation had occurred."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:45 PM

"Board co-chair Barb Desjardins initially tried to sidestep The Sun’s questions about whether any investigation had been done.

Instead, she repeatedly stated: “there’s no investigation at this time” and “there are/were no formal complaints put forward.”

But within 24 hours she was forced to clarify her comments and admit an investigation had occurred."

Good thing we have the Vancouver Sun to investigate our local matters.

This is really simple. If Chief Elsner had a 'relationship' with the wife of a subordinate officer then that is such a failure in leadership that he has to go. There is not a single police officer in Victoria who will have any respect for him. The longer Desjardins and Helps try to brush this under the cover the worse it will get. 

Edited by spanky123, 06 December 2015 - 12:45 PM.

• Nparker and weirdie like this

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:46 PM

The Sun isn't holding back. It'll be interesting to see how the TC handles this.

"The Victoria Police Department has suffered through several years of high-profile, embarrassing, issues involving its police chiefs.

Former chief Jamie Graham, who retired in 2013, was disciplined after publicly revealing an undercover officer had been the driver of bus filled with anti-Olympic protesters before the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. He was also found in neglect of duty after leaving his loaded service pistol under the seat of his unmarked vehicle in the Victoria department’s parkade. Graham had previously served as Vancouver’s police chief.

Prior to Graham, the Victoria department was headed by Paul Battershill, who was forced to resign in 2008 after an affair with a police board lawyer and a rebellion by several senior staff who had lost confidence in his leadership and refused to work with him.

Victoria’s police board was sharply criticized at that time for its slow handling of the Battershill case and apparent obliviousness to deep discontent within the rank and file.

Ultimately, Victoria taxpayers were left in the dark about allegations against Battershill for more than a year because they were a deemed a confidential “personnel matter.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:19 PM

This is not the first time recently that the TC has let the Vancouver reporters handle a local story, probably so TC can keep a decent relationship with local police.

I'm trying to think of the other recent situation.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:25 PM

Is it the norm for external papers to cover sensitive/investigative issues for other papers?

I no longer expect the TC to break local stories like these. I instead keep an eye out for them in the Post or the Globe.

Know it all.

#7 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:46 PM

Ultimately, Victoria taxpayers were left in the dark about allegations against Battershill for more than a year because they were a deemed a confidential “personnel matter.”

They are trying to play the same card again but an incident involving a subordinate is not a 'personnel matter'. It is a performance issue and the public has the right to know how the police board plans to deal with it.

The irony is that Elsner spent years as an undercover operative and then gets busted on something as simple as this.

• Nparker likes this

#8 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:47 PM

What a tool. More entertainment from the circus that is the City of Victoria.
  • Nparker likes this

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:51 PM

So, could this be the beginning of the end?

And what's up with Desjardin? She bounced around with her statements which indicates she was caught 100% off guard and in a time of panic said some things she shouldn't have which made her appear to be covering for the chief. As tax payers, we're the ones she is accountable to, not the chief or the board.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#10 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:53 PM

"Desjardins had on Saturday decried “rumours” about the chief’s personal conduct circling within the department, and warned the both the public and officers within the force from spreading what she considers misinformation without speaking to her or filing an official complaint​."

So what did you expect Barb? You tried to cover up the investigation and then lied to the media and you are surprised that there are rumours?

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:08 PM

Big deal out of nothing. 

There was some chatting.  He shut it down.  There was an investigation that found no wrongdoing. 

Move on, let him focus on running the force. 

• zoomer and Bingo like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:16 PM

Big deal out of nothing. 

There was some chatting.  He shut it down.  There was an investigation that found no wrongdoing. 

We have not been told there was no wrongdoing.  Or if there was a punishment.

Look, he either had a relationship with his subordinate's wife, or he came close, exchanging some type of sexual messages, in text form.

That's a problem, a bad practice for the man in charge.  There's all kinds of problems there.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:23 PM

Some of these guys have trouble keeping their pistols in the holsters.
  • sebberry likes this

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:50 PM

We have not been told there was no wrongdoing.  Or if there was a punishment.

“An allegation was made against me that based on direct messages off of Twitter that I had an inappropriate relationship with a female. The board notified me of that and they hired an independent lawyer to do the investigation. The investigation was completed and on last week I was notified and they found that there was no inappropriate relationship. However, I should not have engaged in the direct messages in the first place and I fully agree.”

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#15 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:51 PM

Some of these guys have trouble keeping their pistols in the holsters.

Well they certainly have most of the toys needed for a 50 shades sort of night.

• johnk likes this

#16 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:53 PM

So was it sexual harassment or mutual? I really don't care if it was mutual.

• sebberry likes this

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:00 PM

An angry subordinate who will have the support of his peers does not make for an easy situation for a chief.

Was Atwell's girlfriend the wife of a cop or was that just a rumour?
  • spanky123 likes this

Know it all.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

Sebberry, you are mixing up wrongdoing with inappropriate relationship.

And todd, it does not matter if it was mutual. It's terrible conduct in a workplace, especially a police department when morale among the ranks is terribly important.

Of all the people that Elsner could chose to send sexts to, why the wife of your employee. So so wrong.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:05 PM

Elsner also refused to say if there was discipline. I'm pretty sure he would have said no, if there was none, rather than invoking privacy.

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:06 PM

I would have to see the tweets before coming to a conclusion.A pretty boring story without them.
  • sebberry and nagel like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users