Tesla Motors of Victoria

• Please log in to reply
384 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:53 PM

Tesla was in a bidding war of sorts for the former West Marine lot on Douglas Street at Summit, but they lost out to Audi Autohaus, according to a source that has requested anonymity.

Tesla Motors charged up for Victoria expansion

http://victoria.citi...oria-expansion/

Palo Alto, California-based Tesla Motors has its eyes set on Victoria as part of a bid to expand its presence in Canada, according to a source who spoke to Citified on the condition of anonymity. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:45 PM

Tesla was in a bidding war of sorts for the former West Marine lot on Douglas Street at Summit, but they lost out to Audi Autohaus, according to a source that has requested anonymity.

Tesla Motors charged up for Victoria expansion

http://victoria.citi...oria-expansion/

Palo Alto, California-based Tesla Motors has its eyes set on Victoria as part of a bid to expand its presence in Canada, according to a source who spoke to Citified on the condition of anonymity. [Full article]

I would really be surprised as they appear to only have showrooms in much larger cities.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:50 PM

They're tiny showrooms, so it's not a crazy expense for them. They're also getting into other products that will have home and business applications.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:03 PM

There are a couple of car lots and showrooms for lease on Douglas and Finlayson.

#5 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:24 PM

I would really be surprised as they appear to only have showrooms in much larger cities.

That is because they haven't released the model 3 yet.  Elon musk said earlier this year on a conference call that they may get to Apple's market cap in 10 years.  Currently 29 billion vs Apple's 616 billion.  I don't think it is at all possible but if they set out to attempt it they will need to grow at a ridiculous pace.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#6 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:24 PM

If they make a low cost, well made, compact, high design, self driving, connected, electric car they will explode IMO. Their batteries will probably power most EVs in a few years. They also make solar more doable. If I was building new I would have a solar system with one of their battery packs. Combine that with solar water heating and you could probably be energy independent if in the right location. Solar city has shown huge growth.

#7 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:17 AM

If they make a low cost, well made, compact, high design, self driving, connected, electric car they will explode IMO. Their batteries will probably power most EVs in a few years. They also make solar more doable. If I was building new I would have a solar system with one of their battery packs. Combine that with solar water heating and you could probably be energy independent if in the right location. Solar city has shown huge growth.

Tesla has had a history of production delays and costs increases. That is probably expected for a new manufacturer but it gives me very little faith that they will produce a self-driving vehicle for the masses at anywhere near the $35K-$40K they are suggesting.

Solar is rarely economically viable in on-grid applications. Even at scale, most of the cost estimates I have seen place solar at $.40 - $.50 a kwh which is about 3x-4x our current rates.

• sebberry likes this

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:54 AM

You realize we're talking about Elon Musk here, right? He was poo-poo'd about Tesla, too. Harshly. Now it's the envy of the automotive world.

Know it all.

#9 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:33 AM

I like Tesla. I think Elon Musk is a visionary. I think the future is electric cars. Their cars look awesome. I wish I could afford one.

I also hope that one day soon Tesla becomes cash flow positive and actually starts to turn a profit. Maybe they will with the "Model 3". The envy of the automotive world? I think Toyota and their $15B profit last year still hold that title rather comfortably. A lot of people who sank a lot of cash into Tesla stock could lose everything.

Edited by jonny, 17 December 2015 - 08:35 AM.

#10 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:16 AM

You realize we're talking about Elon Musk here, right? He was poo-poo'd about Tesla, too. Harshly. Now it's the envy of the automotive world.

I like and respect the guy, I am just saying that given Tesla's track record I don't think he will be able to deliver what people expect. Both the model S and model X were going to be $70K cars when they were announced. They are both well over $100K US. Using the same math the $40K model 3 will be $60K US or about $80K CDN. That is not a car for the masses.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:20 AM

Although I'm not a fan of the designs of the vehicles and the gadgetry does nothing for me, I don't think we should discount a multi-billion dollar operation because it's not profitable immediate out of the door. It took billions to get to where they are. You can't just build an automobile technology in a basement, you need serious capital and some serious ingenuity. They've got all of that, and unless gasoline drops to $5/barrel the future are electric and/or hybrid vehicles for the masses.

I can also see Tesla being bought up by one of the Big 3, or a European auto conglomerate for hundreds of billions. That would open the distribution network thousand-fold and bring costs way, way down.

Know it all.

#12 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:58 AM

Base model of Model X is $80K....
Their vehicles have a great satisfaction rating with intense customer loyalty. Building a growing car brand with a factory manufacturing electric vehicles to a high standard on US soil. Creating an international distribution network. Building an international charging network. Building a battery factory in the US. Commercializing self driving features. Creating a car OS from scratch. Etc etc. And you focus on them being late delivering what is revolutionizing the auto industry? Sheesh....

#13 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:14 AM

Base model of Model X is $80K....
Their vehicles have a great satisfaction rating with intense customer loyalty. Building a growing car brand with a factory manufacturing electric vehicles to a high standard on US soil. Creating an international distribution network. Building an international charging network. Building a battery factory in the US. Commercializing self driving features. Creating a car OS from scratch. Etc etc. And you focus on them being late delivering what is revolutionizing the auto industry? Sheesh....

There is no pricing yet on the Tesla site and delivery is still a year away. The $80K number is what Tesla has floated but past experience has been that the actual price once deliveries start is much higher.

#14 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

Tesla has jacked up CND pricing because of the dollar.  I think the Model S is up $7,000 over the last 12 months.

#15 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:48 AM

They've got all of that, and unless gasoline drops to $5/barrel the future are electric and/or hybrid vehicles for the masses.

I don't think oil prices will play a huge factor.  As a car enthusiast the Tesla Model S is just simply badass.  Everything from acceleration to safety is by far the best in its class.  There have been head on collisions where the Tesla driver walked away and everyone else in the other car is dead.  It doesn't have to make excuses for being electric.  

Also having built a brand new house I wired the garage specfically for electric car charging and in my opinion it would be way more convenient to plug in my car every night than to have to swing by a gas station on a regular basis.

#16 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:57 AM

Electric is simply a better platform...

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:58 AM

Yup, fair enough.

In my mind electric still means "alternative." But over time that will change.

Know it all.

#18 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:09 PM

Less maintainence too.

#19 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:09 PM

Yup, fair enough.

In my mind electric still means "alternative." But over time that will change.

I bought the Nissan Leaf a few months a go and just love the car ...

I get immediate saving in fuel costs as well as long term saving in operating costs.

I don't think I will ever own another non EV car again.

#20 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:14 PM

I bought the Nissan Leaf a few months a go and just love the car ...

I get immediate saving in fuel costs as well as long term saving in operating costs.

I don't think I will ever own another non EV car again.

What kind of real life range do you get in it?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users