UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Belmont Market Shopping Centre
Uses: commercial, office
Address: Jacklin Road at Jenkins Road
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Storeys: 1
Belmont Market Shopping Centre is comprised of 160,000 square feet of commercial space with a Thrifty Foods gr... (view full profile)
Learn more about Belmont Market Shopping Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford] Belmont Market | Commercial; rentals, condos | Under construction

Under Construction

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#1 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 554 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:25 AM

http://www.cbrevicto...arket_CBRE2.pdf

The first phase of the shopping centre is estimated to be ready for Tenant possession on July 1, 2017.

Edited by Fairbanks, 23 January 2016 - 07:27 AM.

#2 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:05 AM

Is there really capacity for this much retail? There's another very large mall being constructed behind costco apparently, and there's another lot beside millstream storage that's slated to be a strip mall. Canwest mall has vacancies right now today. 

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:07 AM

Quite a lot of housing is coming to this project, too. Over 330 high density homes including a row of townhomes.

24,000 sq. ft. of office space will be situated in a three-storey building along Jacklin.

200,000 sq. ft. of retail space, over 330 residences planned for former Belmont Secondary site

http://victoria.citi...secondary-site/

Sobeys Inc. has revealed plans for a mixed-use commercial and residential development on lands formerly occupied by Belmont Secondary School in Langford on Victoria's Westshore.

Dubbed Belmont Market Shopping Centre, the property is bordered by Jacklin Road, Jenkins Road, Brittany Drive and the Galloping Goose Regional Trail within Langford's southern commercial shopping district. [Full article]

Belmont-Market-1.jpg

Belmont-Market-2.jpg

Belmont-Market-3.jpg

Belmont-Market-4.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:09 AM

Is there really capacity for this much retail? There's another very large mall being constructed behind costco apparently, and there's another lot beside millstream storage that's slated to be a strip mall. Canwest mall has vacancies right now today. 

Presumably the Thrifty's on Goldstream at Island Highway will close, and believe it or not, there is a lot of appetite for additional retail out on the Westshore. CanWest is getting old and tired and will likely undergo major renovations in the coming years. Retailers, especially chains, love brand new and that's what we're seeing the market provide.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:03 AM

Other than it being the former school name, what significance is the "Belmont" name?

I think they could have fired up the Name Generator™ for this instead.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:22 AM

So the plaza at the bottom is supposed to be the access to and from the Goose?

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:28 AM

Seems to be about right, it'll just add on to all the same stuff that's in that area now.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:05 PM

I think there's good value in retaining the name of a local landmark. It immediately conjures up the location of Jacklin at Jenkins.

Know it all.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:06 PM

Oh Langfordites.... some want to raise the drawbridge.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:14 PM

Hmm. Seems like the community is split. The Citified article has 295 "likes" as of 12:13. It was published at 10AM.

Know it all.

#11 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:36 PM

So that'll be a Canadian Superstore, Quality Foods, Wal-mart Super Center, Fairways and Thrifty's all concentrated in that little zone.  Wow.
*makes a note where to 'shop' come the zombie apocalypse*

#12 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:44 PM

Hey if your like me and your Saturday grocery shop is at multiple places.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#13 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 554 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:58 PM

Presumably the Thrifty's on Goldstream at Island Highway will close, and believe it or not, there is a lot of appetite for additional retail out on the Westshore. CanWest is getting old and tired and will likely undergo major renovations in the coming years. Retailers, especially chains, love brand new and that's what we're seeing the market provide.

When Onni completes the former Capital City Centre it will include a new shopping source.  Let's hope it's a Save On Foods.

#14 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:07 PM

insanelydeadlydisease, on 23 Jan 2016 - 11:05 AM, said:

I am not aware of a mall being built behind Costco, there is plenty of housing going in there though.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

Is there really capacity for this much retail? 

If not, so be it!  Excess supply means lower prices for consumers, in every case.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:19 PM

I am not aware of a mall being built behind Costco, there is plenty of housing going in there though.

Some more info: http://victoria.citi...angford-costco/

Might be time for an update. I'll start digging.

Know it all.

#17 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:22 PM

Ah, thanks for the info Mike, I had driven out that way a while ago but didn't see any signage for any commercial at all.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:34 AM

It's odd how little information there is on this project, come to think of it.

Know it all.

#19 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 06:44 AM

Totally uninspired and beige...

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:51 AM

Totally uninspired and beige...

I agree, but this is the type of shopping centre that seems to work well.  Parking near every store.   It's the opposite of the E*N rail roundhouse site, where you do not get to park close..

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users